Breaking in a new tip......

BBBrock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just put a new Moori Med on. How long does it take to break in? It's been so long since I've changed it but I'm noticing a big differance right now. I've never had this problem since I used to change my tip about every 3-5 months but this last tip was down to nothing. Oh well I'll just keep bangin'.

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
Tip break in

This is how I do it.

Break every rack you play with it for about a week straight. (assuming you play about 2-3 hours a day) but do not shape it. Also dont hold back on your breaks, hit them as hard as you can without misscueing.

By the time you are done with that it should be mushroomed out pretty good and kinda flat on top.

Then shave it back down flush with the shaft and burnish, I use a porpers grazer and burnisher for this. Re-shape to your desired radius and that should hold for you. I use a pick from time to time just to help with chalk retention.

If you are still having problems try cutting off a layer or two and see if that works. Hope this helps

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
Then am I weird for having a tip on my cue for a year plus? The Everest I have on my shaft finally started holding shape with maybe 3mm of sidewall left. I don't have to do a damn thing to take care of it. No complaints.

If you're using a single-layered tip (I know you're not, just saying), you can put it in a vise to press it. I'm not sure if this is advisable with a layered tip. I've taken my shaft tip-first to a tile floor a few hundred times with varied results. Just let it drop straight down through your hands from maybe a foot off the ground, lift, repeat. Removes the trouble of actually having to PLAY POOL! :p

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
I just get my tips put on about one every 3 weeks.... I have mine cut down so much to prevent the mushrooming. I use Lapro tips anyways which are very soft. Doesn't last to long.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Bought a wizard hard and med from Marcus (fast_and_loose). Had the hard installed first. I have not tried the MED yet, but No complaints at all and close to no break in period at all. For the price of a triangle, I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
Oh sorry

I forgot to mention that I only have had to do this with the morri tips. Wizards and Kamui I have had no problems with and just shape them up and play:thumbup:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BWTadpole..Nope, you're not wierd. My tips (Talisman & Moori) have been on for several years, and I play almost every day. I also break with my cue. I do not shape them, pick them, sand them, or anything else...except chalk them.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Then am I weird for having a tip on my cue for a year plus? The Everest I have on my shaft finally started holding shape with maybe 3mm of sidewall left. I don't have to do a damn thing to take care of it. No complaints.