Bridge Hand

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If your down and done, and your body is in proper balance.
How does one Know, while placing your bridge hand on the play surface, when it's a little too much left, or too much to the right?
Is the distance between your handle hand and your hip the reference point?

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does one Know, whileplacing your bridge hand on the play surface, when it's a little too much left, or too much to the right?
You use your eye--but see Dr. Dave's video on eye placement from a few days ago.
Not always, but for standard shots: yes.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know. For me it's done unconsciously. I believe the brain will put you in the right spot if you are focused on what you're doing. If the ball misses the brain remembers, likewise when you execute your intentions. If you point the lens on the right things the video can be assessed, cover the lens or point it at the wall...

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a strange question. When down on the shot, you should be able to draw a straight line between your aiming target, cue ball, bridge hand, and rear hand.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I come from golf….where you set your feet last.
…. Bridge hand and tip to the ball
Everything then falls into place in a natural order.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know. For me it's done unconsciously. I believe the brain will put you in the right spot if you are focused on what you're doing. If the ball misses the brain remembers, likewise when you execute your intentions. If you point the lens on the right things the video can be assessed, cover the lens or point it at the wall...
Well said.

Guy Manges

Registered
I just get down and shoot and dont think about it.
I've been doing this for 62 years.
I see guys in the room that look all herky jerky and mechanical because they check everything before they shoot and most of the time they miss.
That may be what this forum does... Yes...

Island Drive

Silver Member
Here's what I'm getting at.
Since Many think our walk up and mechanics are correct then, why does a pro get more cue ball action, with less swing speed?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
How does one Know, while placing your bridge hand on the play surface, when it's a little too much left, or too much to the right?
Do you know the line you want your cue on for the shot?

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Many think our walk up and mechanics are correct then, why does a pro get more cue ball action, with less swing speed?
They cue the ball where the shot is. There is less, ideally, no muscular involvement actively guiding the cue through the shot. Good technique is fundamental but there's more slack to this than novices can imagine. It takes thorough familiarity so the player can recognize the heart of the shot zone. Armed with this sense, most players are able to point and click their shots. Give or take... lol...

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like question.
99% of players do it automatic. However many of them actually put it even so slightly to either right or left to proper placement.
In my opinion:
That is causing a most of unwanted sidespin issues. It is related heavily to vision center aligment but it is not only that issue.
I myself try focus a lot of this issue when i practice.
People will normally have it sligthly off and then they compensate it automatic on aiming.
Very hard thing to be perfect on where hand should be and often overlooked.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Do you know the line you want your cue on for the shot?

pj
chgo
Definitely....in my youth, I finished 17-24 twice at the US Open 9 ball. Also, won a pro event in 89 and much more.
By 1988-89 I developed a total feel of my walkup/speed/cueing and cue ball movement.
But during those earlier/Varner vs Me years, I never learned the proper alignment/mechanics/handle grip but overcame it because of who I am, and my Olympic training/mindset/teachings in another sport.
In my younger days, I had to quit for a year. I developed carpal tunnel because of my poor mechanics.

Pool Mantis's, I enjoyed your thoughts/perspectives.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This right here.
Certain things are done unconsciously.
Sometimes I get down on the table with a closed bridge and sometimes an open bridge.
Don't even make a choice, I just do it.
If I thought about every possible thing on every shot I would probably just tip right over.
Best to have very few concentration points when shooting.
Sort of like swing thoughts in golf.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Open/closed.
Yep, it's natural, but the layout etc, always makes me think about the ''hand on the table''.
And not wanting the HAND, to be in an uncomfortable/unnatural position.
Like Shooting out from under a tree/or?????????

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open/closed.
Yep, it's natural, but the layout etc, always makes me think about the ''hand on the table''.
And not wanting the HAND, to be in an uncomfortable/unnatural position.
Like Shooting out from under a tree/or?????????
Of course you have to adjust your bridge to suit the situation such as over a ball.
Hell, sometimes you need a bridge.
Hell sometimes you need two bridges.
That is one of the beauty's of 14.1.
You have to use every type of bridge in that game because of the stack.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Semi Sayginer answered this by saying something like "I can hit places on the CB where most can't.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never thought about it.
Me either. I don`t have any idea how it happens. When I am down I ask myself "is everything perfect". If it is I fire, If not I stand up and adjust. That very rarely happens though. When I get ready to shoot my bridge hand is almost always where it belongs. It is subliminal for me, it just happens. Now, I hope this doesn`t make me start thinking about it :)