Brownstone Billiards, Brooklyn

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody here frequent this place? I live not far away and checked it out for the first time today. Not many places like this have survived, as far as I can tell. If you don't see Elvis there, you may get to match up with Bad, Bad Leroy Brown. :D

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Travis Bickle said:
Anybody here frequent this place? I live not far away and checked it out for the first time today. Not many places like this have survived, as far as I can tell. If you don't see Elvis there, you may get to match up with Bad, Bad Leroy Brown. :D

I actually moved to the area so it might not be long before you see me popping in.

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I actually moved to the area so it might not be long before you see me popping in.

! If you live in the brooklyn area now its about time you start showing up at some brooklyn tourneys !

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cheemagun said:
! If you live in the brooklyn area now its about time you start showing up at some brooklyn tourneys !

Whoa! I moved to the fine borough of Brooklyn no more than 3 weeks ago, sir! I still have yet to hang pictures on my walls. Need not worry. It is only a matter of time before I begin to haunt the local rooms and terrorize every barbox in vicinity.

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brownstone billiards is a predominantly black poolroom. There are no great players, but some strong ones nonetheless. One pocket is the game of choice. The best players are Mo, Hank, and Chris Daniels.

Jude, Chris Daniels is the kid that I played $100 a game 1P with at Amsterdam East who beat me and you were pissed at because he didn't tip you anything after you had kept the place open late.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
Brownstone billiards is a predominantly black poolroom. There are no great players, but some strong ones nonetheless. One pocket is the game of choice. The best players are Mo, Hank, and Chris Daniels.

Jude, Chris Daniels is the kid that I played $100 a game 1P with at Amsterdam East who beat me and you were pissed at because he didn't tip you anything after you had kept the place open late.

Ah yes, I remember him!!! Yeah, how rude was that? The guy makes a score after hours and doesn't tip! Well, I'll figure out a way to get it back. Most of those guys have never seen me before.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Ah yes, I remember him!!! Yeah, how rude was that? The guy makes a score after hours and doesn't tip! Well, I'll figure out a way to get it back. Most of those guys have never seen me before.

You see what happens when you don't tip your waitress:eek:

YOu never know...
Expect it when you least expect it...

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
You see what happens when you don't tip your waitress:eek:

YOu never know...
Expect it when you least expect it...

Waitress??? He didn't tip the house-man! Not tipping the waitress when she serves you is cheap. Not tipping the house-man after hours is dumb.

BrooklynJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the equipment at Brownstone Billiards was really beat up and old. I think they have only a few tables that are in good shape, some gold crowns, but those are 'reserved' for regulars/players.

I popped in once in the summer and the ac was out. I almost melted.

Park Slope Billiards, a little further up, is a little bit better but neither room is as nice as ABC or even as nice as the old Corners.

(Oh, and if you're near Brownstone Billiards eat at Franny's Pizza. Really good stuff.)

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand how they couldn't keep top players around there, considering the beat condition of the equipment. Nonetheless, I didn't see any bangers ... old school all the way, gents in fedoras, etc.

So Jude, where did you move to?

I'm over in Carroll Gardens, about the same distance from Park Slope Billiards and Brownstone. I went to PS the other day, but it wasn't open yet (4 p.m.), so I lucked into a parking space next to Brownstone (7th and Flatbush) and checked it out.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Travis Bickle said:
I can understand how they couldn't keep top players around there, considering the beat condition of the equipment. Nonetheless, I didn't see any bangers ... old school all the way, gents in fedoras, etc.

So Jude, where did you move to?

I'm over in Carroll Gardens, about the same distance from Park Slope Billiards and Brownstone. I went to PS the other day, but it wasn't open yet (4 p.m.), so I lucked into a parking space next to Brownstone (7th and Flatbush) and checked it out.

I'm in Cobblehill so we're practically neighbors.

9 Ball Girl

aka Wendy
Silver Member
Actually, there are a couple of other good players that play out of Brownstone. You may see a couple of them at some of the tourneys held at Master Billiards on Monday and/or Wednesdays. They lay low but I know who they are.

Hey Jude! You'll like the hood. I grew up in Cobble Hill. 'Course, things have been "yuppified" from when I last lived there but it's nice nonetheless. I still visit the old neighborhood on Fridays...

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BrooklynJay said:
I popped in once in the summer and the ac was out. I almost melted.

Speaking of "AC", he used to be good action at Park Slope Billiards. But apparently he doesn't play anymore.

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cobble Hill's good ... just a couple of blocks away. I'll probably have to move there next year to get the kids in the right school zone.

I missed Manhattan when I moved down to Bay Ridge, but since I moved up here, not at all. Still, this boro of 2.5 million desperately needs (if it knows it or not) a first-class room.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Travis Bickle said:
Cobble Hill's good ... just a couple of blocks away. I'll probably have to move there next year to get the kids in the right school zone.

I missed Manhattan when I moved down to Bay Ridge, but since I moved up here, not at all. Still, this boro of 2.5 million desperately needs (if it knows it or not) a first-class room.

Well, Platinum isn't too bad. Brownstone has been around almost 20 years and it's pretty much the same as it's always been. I do like that 10-footer they have in the middle of the room. Last time I was there, Park Slope was nice. AC will do his best to keep-up the equipment though I'm certain business is not as good as he'd like it to be. There is also Skyline which is another room owned by a poolplayer which I hear sports good equipment and a few others. Pockets on Avenue U is good.

I may be new to the neighborhood but I'm not new to Brooklyn. I went to school in Ft. Greene and let's just say I was a little distracted at times.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
There are bangers at Brownstone for sure, but I think they come around mostly with the party crowd on weekends with the multi-colored Vikings.

Anyway, I lived in Flatbush for 5 years and went there maybe twice. Now that I'm in Queens, no chance (although I'm messing with this girl up in Crown Heights).

It's a special kind of a place though and I hope it lasts. I'd be surprised if Jude couldn't find any action at Park Slope.

I don't know of any minimumly straight barboxes in that vicinity, Jude. So tough luck when you're out for some brew...

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
9 Ball Girl said:
Actually, there are a couple of other good players that play out of Brownstone. You may see a couple of them at some of the tourneys held at Master Billiards on Monday and/or Wednesdays. They lay low but I know who they are.

Hey Jude! You'll like the hood. I grew up in Cobble Hill. 'Course, things have been "yuppified" from when I last lived there but it's nice nonetheless. I still visit the old neighborhood on Fridays...

Who ?????? lol. theres only one brooklyn crew that goes to masters haha.

cheemagun

gettin there...
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Well, Platinum isn't too bad. Brownstone has been around almost 20 years and it's pretty much the same as it's always been. I do like that 10-footer they have in the middle of the room. Last time I was there, Park Slope was nice. AC will do his best to keep-up the equipment though I'm certain business is not as good as he'd like it to be. There is also Skyline which is another room owned by a poolplayer which I hear sports good equipment and a few others. Pockets on Avenue U is good.

I may be new to the neighborhood but I'm not new to Brooklyn. I went to school in Ft. Greene and let's just say I was a little distracted at times.

Skyline is nice. they keep the place in very good condition. a couple of tight gold crowns.( they dont play that tight tho) but you can find good action there. tues night is the tournament. race to 5 winners race to 4 losers.

Ave. U has nothing there now. we used to go there on wed for a nice
tourney but that died out after we started going to masters.

platinum used to be so nice.. just a bad location. then the last time i went they had red table cloth and of course no players so i never went back.

But the closest ones to you are park slope and brownstone. unless you have a car.

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apologies to some of those outlying rooms ... they're kind of a hike, but I've heard good things about Skyline, in particular. Park Slope's a nice joint as well, though they could recloth the tables a bit more often.

But an Amsterdam-style room would be cool around close-in Brooklyn, too.

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
I don't know of any minimumly straight barboxes in that vicinity, Jude. So tough luck when you're out for some brew...

Table in Angry Wade's on Smith St. isn't bad and they get a fair number of league players who can run a couple of balls sometimes. Not much competition for the likes of Jude, though, considering I held the table there for 4 hours on a recent visit. Don't ask me why!:p
Brooklyn Social's a great bar, but the table is comical -- half the time you need the short stick and one corner plays like a vacuum cleaner. Brooklyn Inn is similar, with a backroom ... played on that once an it seemed to suck too.