Brunswick Willie HOPPE Pool Cue

cim

Cimeron
I have what I would assume is an authentic Brunswick Willie HOPPE pool cue. It has the correct appearance and appropriate label, but it does not have the signature. It also has KK embossed on the butt. Can this be an authentic Willie HOPPE without th signature?
IMG_2740.jpeg
IMG_2741.jpeg
IMG_2743.jpeg
IMG_2742.jpeg

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It doesn’t have the Hoppe butt plate….gotta a feeling it’s a converted Brunswick house cue.
…..these are Hoppes
IMG_1104.jpeg

shooter_Hans

Since we're on this subject matter what is so significant about this style? Every cue maker has some version of the ring on the butt. Was this like a mainstream cue that came on the scene at the time and a must have?

I find the single ring to be a bit boring.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
old brunswick house cue. some could order with extras like a wrap. some might have been offered that way.

in any case nice old cue.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Single butt ring or double, there was no other feeling so gratifying as rolling one of those cues, with no interfering
rubber bumper, on the hard wood of an old pool room floor,

I did pool. My brother did jazz. When we both straggled home late from our different dives, we were not allowed to wear our clothes, impregnated with cigarette smoke, into the house. My mother made us strip to our underwear and deposit the offending outer garments in a hall closet near the back door. If I had played in a room where the floor had been recently oiled, my shoes had to stay there too

Oh, the moonlight’s fair tonight along the Wabash,
From the fields there comes the breath of new-mown hay…
… I long to see my mother in the doorway
As she stood there years ago, her boy to greet.

I think I have to lie down now.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have what I would assume is an authentic Brunswick Willie HOPPE pool cue. It has the correct appearance and appropriate label, but it does not have the signature. It also has KK embossed on the butt. Can this be an authentic Willie HOPPE without th signature?View attachment 759422View attachment 759423View attachment 759424View attachment 759425

This is a 1950s Willie Hoppe, the KK stamp is part of a bulk order, they used these as identifiers. Maybe a purchasing agent, or distributor. This is the first gen without the ivory ring.

L.S. Dennis

It doesn’t have the Hoppe butt plate….gotta a feeling it’s a converted Brunswick house cue.
…..these are Hoppes
View attachment 759438
Actually not all Hoppe cues had that white ring at the bottom. Some did (especially some of the older ones) but not all did. This is the one I bought brand new in 1963, it has a signature but no white ring. I still have it and would never part with it for sentimental reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_4610.jpeg
    IMG_4610.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 56

cim

Cimeron
Actually not all Hoppe cues had that white ring at the bottom. Some did (especially some of the older ones) but not all did. This is the one I bought brand new in 1963, it has a signature but no white ring. I still have it and would never part with it for sentimental reasons.
Thanks for your response. The connector on your cue is very different from my cue. What is your opinion on my cue not having a signature?

L.S. Dennis

Thanks for your response. The connector on your cue is very different from my cue. What is your opinion on my cue not having a signature?
I suspect that your cue was an actual Hoppe cue and not a house cue. It may have has some modifications over the years. At some point as far as the signature is concerned, it may have just worn off much as the signature on my Helmstetter has worn off over the years.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I believe it to be an original two piece Brunswick Professional cue. The cue may have had the forearm refinished and hence the lack of signature. Maybe the whole cue was refinished and they were careful around the label. Or maybe the first owner had connections with the factory and requested one before Willie Hoppe was pressed on?
I have seen thousands of these cues and a few of the signatures were weak but still visible.

And yes I believe the first generation had the ivory ring. The second generation it was possible to special order the ring. After that it was not an option.

cim

Cimeron
I believe it to be an original two piece Brunswick Professional cue. The cue may have had the forearm refinished and hence the lack of signature. Maybe the whole cue was refinished and they were careful around the label. Or maybe the first owner had connections with the factory and requested one before Willie Hoppe was pressed on?
I have seen thousands of these cues and a few of the signatures were weak but still visible.

And yes I believe the first generation had the ivory ring. The second generation it was possible to special order the ring. After that it was not an option.
Thanks for your response.