Buddy Hall

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I remember when Luther Lassiter was considered the best pool player in the world, and I talked to him once about Buddy. He said that even as good as he (Luther) played 9-ball, he'd never play Buddy straight up."

From an article that was originally in "The Snap Magazine":

http://www.tampabilliards.com/bhall.html

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I always like telling this story about Buddy, and it's true.
On the third day of the Derby City Classic, in 2005, I was sitting alone near the end of the buffet line at the host hotel, having lunch, when suddenly a giant shadow comes across my table and I look up. It was Buddy Hall.
Buddy stared down at me for a moment, and then said, "Can I have that?", pointing to a spoon lying on the table.
I said, "Sure, Buddy."
He picks up the spoon, walks over to his food tray on the buffet, and starts spooning gravy over everything on his plate.
What a guy. :smile:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I remember when Luther Lassiter was considered the best pool player in the world, and I talked to him once about Buddy. He said that even as good as he (Luther) played 9-ball, he'd never play Buddy straight up."

From an article that was originally in "The Snap Magazine":

http://www.tampabilliards.com/bhall.html

That's my Buddy! Well I mean that is my friend. Good post. I am glad someone else is talking about Buddy Hall. He is the man! In the pool world. Always ready to help someone.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always like telling this story about Buddy, and it's true.
On the third day of the Derby City Classic, in 2005, I was sitting alone near the end of the buffet line at the host hotel, having lunch, when suddenly a giant shadow comes across my table and I look up. It was Buddy Hall.
Buddy stared down at me for a moment, and then said, "Can I have that?", pointing to a spoon lying on the table.
I said, "Sure, Buddy."
He picks up the spoon, walks over to his food tray on the buffet, and starts spooning gravy over everything on his plate.
What a guy. :smile:

Some of the stuff you post is actually funny......this?...not so much, IMO.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just finished watching his 9 ball instructional video that I got through Accu-stats. He made and explained some shots that I never thought of ... once I practice them a bit they are the type of shots that will jump right into my head when I see them in a 9 ball game. Any chance I can get to look at things from another person's perspective is a huge value.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Just finished watching his 9 ball instructional video that I got through Accu-stats. He made and explained some shots that I never thought of ... once I practice them a bit they are the type of shots that will jump right into my head when I see them in a 9 ball game. Any chance I can get to look at things from another person's perspective is a huge value.

Many moons ago, I had a VHS tape of Buddy running 9 or 10 racks of 9 ball while explaining what he was thinking.

Could be the same video. Learned a ton from it.

Lent it to a friend and never saw it again.

Stones

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
many moons ago, i had a vhs tape of buddy running 9 or 10 racks of 9 ball while explaining what he was thinking.

Could be the same video. Learned a ton from it.

Lent it to a friend and never saw it again.

Stones

i remember watching that video..what was the name of it?

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not necessarily supposed to be funny, punter. Just interesting. :smile:

OK, Tramp, guess I just took it wrong. Seemed like you were making fun of his weight, and considering he has had related health issues...well that's what prompted my comment.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That link that JB Cases posted from Accu-stats is the video I just watched. It has about 2 dozen situational shots that I wouldn't normally have looked at the way that Buddy teaches them and then he runs out 3 or 4 racks of 9 ball and walks through his thought process and tip placement for every shot. He even makes a couple of mistakes and talks about recovering, having back up plans, and getting back in line for the rest of the rack.

I highly recommend it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it generally accepted that Buddy> Luther?

What are the chances Luther said that coz he didn't feel well that day:wink:?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Is it generally accepted that Buddy> Luther?

What are the chances Luther said that coz he didn't feel well that day:wink:?

It may simply have been a gracious gesture on his part (Lassiter), being the southern gentleman that he was. :smile: