Bumperless Cues

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Tapping the cue on the floor was a sign of appreciation for a great shot.
Cues without bumpers had a distinct wood floor sound.. Tap.. Tap.. Tap

Bumpers have distinct sounds on a wood floor.. Plump.. Thump.. Thud

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy it. Take care of it and enjoy it. Take a small piece of rubber floor mat(black rubber runner) with you. What cue are you getting?

I'm still undecided if I want to go for it. At present, I'm not looking at any particular cue. My cues are all Hoppe models, traditional four pointers.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm still undecided if I want to go for it. At present, I'm not looking at any particular cue. My cues are all Hoppe models, traditional four pointers.

I have 3 Schon Hoppe Tributes. It's easy to buy more. They have a certain beauty.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I can say that I've never actually played with a bumper-less cue. I do see it time to time on some of the customs- usually high end potentially more collectible than playing cues. Does the bumper really alter/ dampen the hit that much?
I understand the looks, but some people talk about the hit being different without the bumper. I have pulled the bumper off of my regular playing cue and hit a few balls, but it was not night and day to say the least.

Try taking the bumper off of your cue and hit a few shots. On most cues I have seen it makes a fairly substantial difference. If you do not try a cue both ways you will never know how much of a difference it makes. They really are dampers instead of bumpers.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

See reply #25 to help with your decision, it will take some experimenting on your end though.