Burton Spain's First attempt at a fullsplice

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This short video shows the first attempt of Burton Spain to make a cue blank. Burton went on to make the best full splice blanks, and was a supplier to George Balabushka. Spain later was the teacher of Joel Hercek, one of today's top cuemakers.
This clip is narrated by Hercek, and provided by Deno Andrews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpwROvi3pfk

Makes me feel better about some of my "learning experiences.":cool:

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
That has got to be the best one of the top 3 most amazing things I saw during the few years I've spent here. WOW! I've read Burton's book about it and how he met Craig Petersen in Chicago and how he became interested in blank making after seeing a split-up blank but I would never have thought that I will ever see that first piece which he mentioned in his article.

The idea of putting a latter cue next to the very first blank was nothing less than INGENIOUS, it's so amazing to see the difference - and this is the moment when it shows how something you always see being perfect can be so messed up and hence it clears up how difficult blank-making must be.

The first and the older perfect blank also manifest the power of will and interest, without which building the finished cue at such a level would not be possible.

I'm completely stunned by this video! A huge thanks for Joel and Deno making this video and for you for sharing it.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This short video shows the first attempt of Burton Spain to make a cue blank. Burton went on to make the best full splice blanks, and was a supplier to George Balabushka. Spain later was the teacher of Joel Hercek, one of today's top cuemakers.
This clip is narrated by Hercek, and provided by Deno Andrews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpwROvi3pfk

Makes me feel better about some of my "learning experiences.":cool:

Thanks for sharing - I've heard the story of that 4-point pencil many times, but didn't know it still existed.

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That has got to be the best one of the top 3 most amazing things I saw during the few years I've spent here. WOW! I've read Burton's book about it and how he met Craig Petersen in Chicago and how he became interested in blank making after seeing a split-up blank but I would never have thought that I will ever see that first piece which he mentioned in his article.

The idea of putting a latter cue next to the very first blank was nothing less than INGENIOUS, it's so amazing to see the difference - and this is the moment when it shows how something you always see being perfect can be so messed up and hence it clears up how difficult blank-making must be.

The first and the older perfect blank also manifest the power of will and interest, without which building the finished cue at such a level would not be possible.

I'm completely stunned by this video! A huge thanks for Joel and Deno making this video and for you for sharing it.

What is the title of the book? I am interested in finding it or at least reading it. I am guessing that it is out of print. I will try and find it on the net. I am sure it is a very good read. (edit: just realized the age of the original post... maybe I'll get a reply :) )
Thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited:

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
Hello,

The title of the book is quite simply MAKING BLANKS By Burton Spain. It is a light blue booklet that is about a dozen pages (more if I remember well) and it contains drawings and chapters regarding contemporary cuemakers and cuemaking methods.
I have had it uploaded somewhere and had it on my PC as well but have changed computers since then. I will look into it and check if I can find it uploaded (scanned) somewhere.

It is a very goo read and a brief but convincing look into Burton's thinking as it helps understand how much of a thinker and great mind he was. Give me a day or two please and I'll check.

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I will look into it and check if I can find it uploaded (scanned) somewhere.

It is a very goo read and a brief but convincing look into Burton's thinking as it helps understand how much of a thinker and great mind he was. Give me a day or two please and I'll check.

Thanks,
I appreciate the efforts... I read Bill Schick's article on Mr. Spain. What a genius. I can't wait to read it.
Jeremy

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You...

Mr. Walsh,
Many thanks for the copy.:thumbup::D:D:D
I just downloaded it today.
On initial skimming, it looks like a very good read.
Sorry for the late chack back. I have been sidetracked lately...
Now, off to read...
Jeremy

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to see this first fullsplice at Joe Gregory's (BBC) table at the Chicago Show last month- sweet!