Bushka style cues

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking to buy (or have built) a Balabushka type cue..4pts with Vaneers and some light inlay work at most..maybe none at all depending on price. Want to know if anyone out there knows a custom cuemaker that can do this in the $500 range or its basically not possible.

I did see a few months ago on here a guy with 2 Bushka type cues..one he was keeping and one he was selling..almost identical cues other then the inlays below the wrap were on blue acrylic type of material on one and red on the other. He had them both made and decided to keep one and sell the other. He was asking $500 (I think) and were custom made and looked great, and I would have jumped on it but had just purchased a Scruggs with 2 shafts and wasn't ready to buy 2 cues within 2 weeks..Since then I sold the Scruggs for a small profit and have been looking for a Tascarella as a collector piece mostly and not an everyday shooter..looking for the Bushka copy for that.

Please let me know if anyone has any helpful info and thanks!!

Here is one that was reduced to $550 in 2010..just an example of what im looking for

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=170071&highlight=bushka+style+custom

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
The classic style cues are my favorite. Especially George's cues. I immediately think two names if wanting a Bushka style cue. Tascarella and Steve Klein. I believe Classiccues has a few Klein (bushka infuenced cues) for immediate purchase, and or you could contact Steve or Pete directly. I believe Pete's waiting list is 4 years though, not sure about Steve's now.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
custom cue

Save your money :) because nobody I know it's going to build for that price.

Mario

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides Carolina customs, you might want to try talking with Allen Green in TX. His username on here is allengreen. Below are some examples of his work. I believe he would be pretty close to your price range and his cues have a nice solid hit.

Here are a few examples of his work that are in or close to your price range.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=274866

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=266684

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=320222

Good luck and good shooting to you,

Kevin

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Besides Carolina customs, you might want to try talking with Allen Green in TX. His username on here is allengreen. Below are some examples of his work. I believe he would be pretty close to your price range and his cues have a nice solid hit.

Here are a few examples of his work that are in or close to your price range.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=274866

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=266684

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=320222

Good luck and good shooting to you,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin..those are nice looking cues, one of them I really like, I'll PM him.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I seen he was looking for a Tascarella, so the 500 did not compute :lol: But very early up and coming cue makers or imports would be his options.

I am looking for a Tascarella for investment only, sold my Scruggs to get close to what I need for a Tascarella if I find the right one. I have some cues (Unchalked Palmers) I would never bring to a pool room, also investment only. The Woodworth I have is an everyday shooter, and was looking for 1 more "everyday" cue in the $500 range which is roughly what I paid for the Woodworth.

There are a few good options out there and the Alan Green Cue looks great..exactly what I want..happen to be a high bidder on a cue on eBay that I hope now I get outbid as I would rather have the $500 Alan Green cue in the thread. Good cues at these prices do exist...obviously.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I am looking for a Tascarella for investment only, sold my Scruggs to get close to what I need for a Tascarella if I find the right one. I have some cues (Unchalked Palmers) I would never bring to a pool room, also investment only. The Woodworth I have is an everyday shooter, and was looking for 1 more "everyday" cue in the $500 range which is roughly what I paid for the Woodworth.

There are a few good options out there and the Alan Green Cue looks great..exactly what I want..happen to be a high bidder on a cue on eBay that I hope now I get outbid as I would rather have the $500 Alan Green cue in the thread. Good cues at these prices do exist...obviously.

Yep, got that when I came back to the thread :lmao: There really is no way I could put up a Tascarella cue myself though. I would shoot with it. Wood does much better when it is used instead of sitting all the time.

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bushka

Steve Klein , Is the man for tribute "bushka" style cues........I did one it's modeled after the bushka I owned....... 009.jpg

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,574
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,644

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
We have different definitions of Bushka style. :D Nice cues none the less. I will go out on a limb and say get a Klein, soon. His cues are well constructed and play very nice. Little more than 500, but you will not be sorry.

PLUS he has a decent designer working with him, about to unleash an attention getter... :p

JV

Actually heres a Lucasi Bushka with 2 shafts brand new for $300

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/lucasi/lucasi_bw-pool-cues.htm

Two of my Palmers are unused and unchalked so they are just for investment..just wanted a knockaround shooter and like 4pts with vaneers.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Looking to buy (or have built) a Balabushka type cue..4pts with Vaneers and some light inlay work at most..maybe none at all depending on price. Want to know if anyone out there knows a custom cuemaker that can do this in the $500 range or its basically not possible. "

I only meant the building from scratch part, as in custom ordering. :) good luck with your search.

Mario

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
We have different definitions of Bushka style. :D Nice cues none the less. I will go out on a limb and say get a Klein, soon. His cues are well constructed and play very nice. Little more than 500, but you will not be sorry.

PLUS he has a decent designer working with him, about to unleash an attention getter... :p

JV

Thanks...heard of Klein but figured his cues were pretty expensive, I'll look into it, appreciate the info.

Palmerfan

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member

Those are great looking cues, thanks for the pics..really like the one where the wrap was changed from white/green spec to black/white spec

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richard Black.........

I've posted highly complimentary remarks about Steve Klein's Texas George Cue (Bushka Design) and several others he's recently completed. There's a gorgeous Klein cue with real 72 gold dot inlays on Classic Cue's website.

If you want a dynamite replica of George Balabushka's workmanship. i.e., Bushka cue design, then Richard Black does the very best job IMO. He strictly uses rings only above and below the wrap & the ebony cue butt hasn't any. The inlays in the forearm & butt sleeve are classic MOP cut diamond accompanied by MOP dots. His veneer colors are the same as George used back in the 60's & 70's. Richard does an incredible job and happens to also favor using George's customary 5/16x14 thread for the cue joint.

I've searched for a long time for the right Bushka design cue and I've decided the Richard Black "Bushka" cue on Cornerstone Cues' website is the one. I understand that of the 1100- 1200 cues George Balabuska made, I've read that nearly all of his cues had a steel joint (5/16x14 thread). The Richard Black Bushka cue on Cornerstone also has a 5/16x14 thread but it also has a "piloted ivory joint" so it was love at first sight for me. It's also the very first ivory joint Bushka design cue I've come across aside from viewing from photos of George Balabushka cues and a couple of Gus Szamboti cues. And besides, Gus's designs used more fancy designs and ivory inlays versus the more simple, elegant designs and MOP inlays George used.

Anyway, Richard is a masterful, if not legendary, cue-maker and he's also one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with. The opportunity to add to my small cue collection the very first ivory joint "Bushka" cue I've ever seen and I have more than 45 years of pool hall playing time in NYC, Dallas, Philadelphia, Kansas City, San Francisco and Fresno the past 20 years, it's just too hard to ignore. And so when the cue also happens to be made by Richard Black.....one of the great names in cue-making.......well, it's simply too much to resist.

Last edited: