Buying a cue for my boyfriend...suggestions?

kaver22

Registered
I agree with the gift certificate idea. It's a good way to avoid the, "Honey, it's the best present a guy could ever get. How did you know that my favorite cue colors were mauve and chartreuse?" That sort of thing.
Here's a gift giving hint for you. Get your man a Miracle, or Wonder cue from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. They're only $99.95.
Remember: If you want that man of yours to stick around then it'll be a Miracle that does it. :smile:

Ha! Knew I could count on you for some good advice, Tramp! Do you provide free shipping as well? ;)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I also agree with the gift certificate suggestion. Check out Sebyerts, they're one of the sponsors of AZBilliards. I bought from them in the past, and always received free shipping. Checking their website policy, they promote 60 day 100% money back guarantee. This guarantee includes Chalked Cues & Shafts!

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nielsen's Billiards

I also agree with the gift certificate suggestion. Check out Sebyerts, they're one of the sponsors of AZBilliards. I bought from them in the past, and always received free shipping. Checking their website policy, they promote 60 day 100% money back guarantee. This guarantee includes Chalked Cues & Shafts!

This is a great place too . . . Joe has a nice selection of cues, no questions asked satisfaction. He carries McDermott, etc. and I believe he still does gift certificates as well . . . got a friend one a few years back. He picked something off of the McD site and walla!

icem3n

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking of buying a cue for my boyfriend for Christmas. He hasn't played much until very recently but is a pretty solid player. He has a lot of interest in continuing to play and improve. I'm on a bit of a budget - $100 max - and have been looking at Action cues. They're inexpensive and seem to be pretty good. Any of you have any input on this? Suggestions on models or different company I should check into?

Thanks!

Kate

For a solid player, don't bother spending below $100 on a cue.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your input! There is a billiards supply store nearby and because my parents bought our table from them a couple years ago they offer a 10% discount on cues. They carry McDermott and either Players or Action (maybe both?). So, I think I might pick one out that I think he would like and make sure it's returnable.

Thanks again!

Kate

I think you have a great plan there, Kate. As everyone has suggested, the lower priced McDermotts are a great starting point. I also think you should get him an actual gift and let him know if it isn't what he likes you made sure it can be returned. That way he can upgrade it or exchange it if he has something else in mind. My family tends to exchange cash and gift cards for holidays and birthdays and I personally can't stand it. I know others think it is the way to go, but I think it is impersonal. Go with your instinct and give him an actual gift to unwrap but have the backup plan in place so he can return it or upgrade it if he wishes.

jackflash

Jackflash
A pool cue is not a good surprise gift. If you want to get him a cue for christmas, or for that matter anytime, you should involve him.:cool:

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
McDermott

1. Go with a McDermott
2. Buy the cue-Its gonna mean more than a piece of paper-make sure its returnable
3. Go with something traditional-not pictures of wolves, etc....by traditional, I mean simple, Points, diamond shapes, etc.
4. keep the weight around 19 ounces and around 13mm shaft size, i think thats the way they come anyway.

If he doesnt have a cue now, then he likely doesnt have too many preferences...I think that if he had his own cues and you were trying to upgrade...he would have manypreferences and then I think that the gift certificate would be more important.

He would enjoy a cue more than a piece of paper, and with the insurances that he CAN exchange without hurting your feelings. nobody would be unexcited about a McDermott. The other brands you mentioned are more likely to be questioned by him in my opinion.

lastly...spend a LITTLE more IF U CAN...in this price range fifty bucks goes a long way for something he will have FOR YEARS...will be the best present he ever got!!! If you were going to get a case for it too, put that money toward the cue, and let him buy the case after.

I think a sneaky would be a great choice too-

Good luck-He's lucky :thumbup:

jackflash

Jackflash
This just happened to me, except my wife consulted me and I took the cash,then traded a cue to be able to purchase, the one I had wanted for about 4yrs.
If she would have gave me a gift cert. I would have been to embrassed to say anything. So I would have never bought the cue.
So if a pool cue is on your mine as a gift, Thats great. It should not be a surprise. Take them and let them pick it out is best.:cool:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Ha! Knew I could count on you for some good advice, Tramp! Do you provide free shipping as well? ;)

Indeed we do, Miss kaver.
Hell, we'll not only ship it for free, we'll bring it to you, stay for supper, and watch TV for the rest of the evening. (Popcorn is optional.) :smile:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
So, I think I might pick one out that I think he would like and make sure it's returnable.

That works well. As long as he knows that he can take it in and trade it in if the cue does not really work for him that is a fine option.

Alot of people do not like to give gift certificates, they are a little impersonal and the person opening them on Christmas is getting something that is fairly unitersting until they are able to get to the store and actually look at the actual products.