Buying a cue for my boyfriend...suggestions?

kaver22

Registered
I'm thinking of buying a cue for my boyfriend for Christmas. He hasn't played much until very recently but is a pretty solid player. He has a lot of interest in continuing to play and improve. I'm on a bit of a budget - $100 max - and have been looking at Action cues. They're inexpensive and seem to be pretty good. Any of you have any input on this? Suggestions on models or different company I should check into?

Thanks!

Kate

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Hi Kate,

A pool cue is a very personal 'tool'. Is there a billiard store in your area? If so, I would get him a gift certificate. He may want to add some of his own money to get the one he really likes. If not, maybe the money with a picture of the cue you would have purchased. I know that is a bit of an impersonal present, but it might be the best thing in the long run.

Hope this helps,

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
I have an Action cue. It was marked at 99 but I got them to knock it down to $69. It's my back up cue, which has come in very useful. There were others at the shop that I liked more but they were over $250. Scorpion also has some cues in this price range. You may also want to check out the Lucky line from McDermott. They start around $50 and are very well regarded in their class.

Any who... Does he already have a cue?
Best of luck

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Hi Kate,

A pool cue is a very personal 'tool'. Is there a billiard store in your area? If so, I would get him a gift certificate.

I'll second this; let him pick the cue. Most stores can order from the catalog too so he'll have more choice than just what's on display.

Razor

Lex Parsimoniae
Silver Member
Hi Kate,

A pool cue is a very personal 'tool'. Is there a billiard store in your area? If so, I would get him a gift certificate. He may want to add some of his own money to get the one he really likes. If not, maybe the money with a picture of the cue you would have purchased. I know that is a bit of an impersonal present, but it might be the best thing in the long run.

Hope this helps,

I'll second this; let him pick the cue. Most stores can order from the catalog too so he'll have more choice than just what's on display.

I'll "third" this; should carry the motion. My girlfriend at the time (now the wife), bought me a pool cue for a Christmas gift many many years ago.

Not only did I have a tool I did not want nor had any intention of using, she (we) were out the cash and I was in the awkward position of having to tell her knowing her feelings would be hurt. She certainly meant well, but took it fairly well.

I got it returned for a refund and we don't buy each other Christmas gifts any longer. I buy one for me, she buys one for her, we swap them and wrap them for each other, put them under the tree and act surprised. ;)

If anything, go with the gift certificate. Doesn't Seybert's offer one online? www.seyberts.com

Peace and good luck.

~Razor

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I disagree. At his current level of play any decent cue will seem nice to him, and he will likely not even know what he does and doesn't like in a cue at this point. I would look at a players or
McDermott in your range as stated before. If he doesn't like the design he can always take it back, but I am sure he will be more than thrilled with what you get him. I got my first decent cue this way which was a players brand cue and was thrilled to have it. As he plays more and learns more about cues he can invest in something more specific to his game. However, if he needs to stay with one of the suggested cues due to finances, it will serve him well for a long time to come.

kaver22

Registered
Thanks everyone for your input! There is a billiards supply store nearby and because my parents bought our table from them a couple years ago they offer a 10% discount on cues. They carry McDermott and either Players or Action (maybe both?). So, I think I might pick one out that I think he would like and make sure it's returnable.

Thanks again!

Kate

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
First off I guess it really depends on where you live... If there are no retail or custom shops you are going to have to end up ordering one anyway... I think a few shops allow returns within x days so you can test hit but I am unsure which ones they are so hopefully someone can help out....

Since you stated that you guys are pretty new to playing I actually think that just a good solid Players is in order... I'd find out what weight he likes and then pick out something in your price range....

In your price range anything you see with pretty inlays and points are going to be decals so skip the pretty unless it states that the specs state that the inlays are real and not decals.... Get something solid and I would suggest skipping the metal jointed cues and getting one that is flat faced implex....

Later down the road your boyfriend can always have the tip/ferrule changed to make this a dedicated break cue and he will be able to keep it for years and years after he has moved up into other playing cues.....

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your input! There is a billiards supply store nearby and because my parents bought our table from them a couple years ago they offer a 10% discount on cues. They carry McDermott and either Players or Action (maybe both?). So, I think I might pick one out that I think he would like and make sure it's returnable.

Thanks again!

Kate

$100 gift certificate towards a cue.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Hi Kate,

Hope this helps,
I would go with this suggestion...A pool cue is like picking out clothing or shoes...Very personable....

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking of buying a cue for my boyfriend for Christmas. He hasn't played much until very recently but is a pretty solid player. He has a lot of interest in continuing to play and improve. I'm on a bit of a budget - $100 max - and have been looking at Action cues. They're inexpensive and seem to be pretty good. Any of you have any input on this? Suggestions on models or different company I should check into?

Thanks!

Kate

Buy from a place where you can easily return and get full refund and not lose your money to UPS, and probably 15% restocking fees! I have seen at Walmart good cues, walk in there and see it would not hurt, after all the thought that counts!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I agree with the gift certificate idea. It's a good way to avoid the, "Honey, it's the best present a guy could ever get. How did you know that my favorite cue colors were mauve and chartreuse?" That sort of thing.
Here's a gift giving hint for you. Get your man a Miracle, or Wonder cue from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. They're only $99.95.
Remember: If you want that man of yours to stick around then it'll be a Miracle that does it. :smile:

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
It is a lucky man indeed that has a girlfriend who would want to do this for him.

Gift certificates are often maligned as being impersonal, but in this case, it is absolutely the right thing to do. This will be hugely appreciated.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If he is an above average poolplayer I would suggest you get him something else. Even when you pick your own cue out most of the time you want something else. Unless its a 3000k cue....then your stuck with it. Johnnyt