Calcutta question

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Mandatory, no. But commonly offered. Usually 50%, but any percentage up to 50% is generally acceptable

I would never consider not offering. I'd be a little pissed if someone didn't offer it to me as a player.
You have to offer them 50%, the jelly % is up to you, but with these super high calcuttas you have so much invested in a top player.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
More in golf than pool, for me, but I’ve been in Calcuttas where you were expected to buy half of yourself. If you didn’t, you were queering the whole deal. It was more than just frowned upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More in golf than pool, for me, but I’ve been in Calcuttas where you were expected to buy half of yourself. If you didn’t, you were queering the whole deal. It was more than just frowned upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In our weekly 9-ball calcuttas or our occasional bigger tournament calcuttas, the winning bidder generally is aware of and accepts that there are no guarantees of anything. The reality is that player (regardless of whether he buys back half himself or not) has absolutely no moral obligation to play their hardest to win for their buyer, even though ethically most of us would agree that they should.

The player may choose not to purchase half of themselves back and may choose at their own discretion to concede games or matches at any point, etc. Buyer beware - that’s just the chance someone takes when they choose to bid on and potentially purchase them.

For that reason, those players that have a reputation of having previously done that may often be purchased at what might seem to be a bargain price in relation to their skill level. Smart bidders are aware of not only the skill level of all the players they may bid on, but also that player’s integrity.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
In our weekly 9-ball calcuttas or our occasional bigger tournament calcuttas, the winning bidder generally is aware there are no guarantees of anything.

The purchased player may choose not to purchase half of themselves back and may choose to concede games or matches at any point, etc. Buyer beware - that’s just the chance someone takes when they choose to bid on and potentially purchase them.

For that reason, those players that have a reputation of having previously done that may often be purchased at what might seem to be a bargain price in relation to their skill level.

Some people seem to think they are buying a player body and soul when they buy them in a calcutta. The player may gamble or party all night, may just fall into the loser's side early and not feel like the long grind, no end of things to happen that you don't get the player's best efforts to win an event after you buy them.

Somehow it surprised me to find that strangers and near strangers were betting on me in competition too. I never bet other players.

Hu

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s completely bull shit around me that it’s expected that you buy half yourself. It drives up your price when the bidder is only having to pay half. I find it even more obsurd that I have to mention that I’m not buying half myself
I guess you don't have to worry about it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy half for $100? Are you kidding? I've seen me play.

Nothing more surprising than somebody bidding me up in a calcutta! Are you kidding? I'm not expecting to cash in the main pot, maybe get my entry back at best, and you are buying me in a calcutta that only pays half as many places?

You might need boring for the simples!

Hu

tomatoshooter

Nothing more surprising than somebody bidding me up in a calcutta! Are you kidding? I'm not expecting to cash in the main pot, maybe get my entry back at best, and you are buying me in a calcutta that only pays half as many places?

You might need boring for the simples!

Hu
I'm flattered when someone buys me.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought Kyle Larson's for $200 at 5/1 tomorrow don't have to worry about his cut. Going to sweat my player.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve heard one story (perhaps on here) of a player not being offered half so they unscrewed their cue and walked out then and there.

On the other hand I remember my first time in a Calcutta. I wasn’t comfortable gambling and I didn’t like my odds of cashing. I declined buying myself and nobody made a thing of it. I could see myself being more comfortable with that in the future. Especially if the money was outside my range.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I’ve heard one story (perhaps on here) of a player not being offered half so they unscrewed their cue and walked out then and there.

On the other hand I remember my first time in a Calcutta. I wasn’t comfortable gambling and I didn’t like my odds of cashing. I declined buying myself and nobody made a thing of it. I could see myself being more comfortable with that in the future. Especially if the money was outside my range.
Jeanette did that.
Hennesse waited till he saw his draw and then found the person who bought him + said he was looking all over for him and wanted half.