calcutta vs. golf vs. pool

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calcutta - A line or betting odds for gambling on a player

Golf - a more predictable game, course vs. player vs. playing conditions

Pool - a much less predictable game, course vs. player vs. conditions

In any case, this thread is a spin off from John wanting to clear some air about his character. Not necessary John, you're a good guy and as Josh Palmer said, I too know my bankroll is safe with you.

I forgot JELLY in the title. A bought player is not like the toast you order for breakfast, nor the jelly you put on it. A player is more like the waiter, where if you are served well then they have earned a TIP.

I think it is called a good jesture.

Remember, some players are superstitious about the positions they put themselves in. Normally a calcutta is run just before, or during, an event and players may not want to think about money but more about getting into gear for playing.

My position is on the player's side, where they work very hard for very little. Those of you on the sidelines thinking you are doing something by buying the right horse, go to the track where the horse could care less about you and your jelly, or no jelly as some of you referred.

PS Be a pro John. Pissed off or not, you have a bigger and better future with the IPT. The old school is virtually gone for players of your caliber.

T

Timberly

Banker Burt said:
A player is more like the waiter, where if you are served well then they have earned a TIP.

That's the way that I view it also. Maybe viewing it this way is "old school" but that's how I see it. As most on here know, I've only recently come back into the pool world after having taken a long time off. A lot of things have changed and maybe this train of thought is one of them, I don't know. Either way, I've always believed in throwing a bone/giving jelly/tipping/whatever you want to call it. LOL, I once had someone "tip" me after their match just because I sat there and sweated the set. I didn't do anything to deserve a "tip"... players that win money for someone in a calcutta... they deserve a tip IMO. Some people present the argument that they've had players quit in the middle of a tourney and they lost money....calcutta's are gambling... you're talking a risk on something that you can't control.... it's a risk that you chose to take, no one made them take it. No one blinks an eye at tipping the dealer... the dealer didn't win the money for them so why do people have such a hard time giving the player a tip for their services? :confused:

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Banker Burt said:
I may not be privy to the inner meaning of the full post, but I disagree with that bit above. In fact, I'd flip 'em.

Timberly said:
That's the way that I view it also. Maybe viewing it this way is "old school" but that's how I see it. As most on here know, I've only recently come back into the pool world after having taken a long time off. A lot of things have changed and maybe this train of thought is one of them, I don't know. Either way, I've always believed in throwing a bone/giving jelly/tipping/whatever you want to call it. LOL, I once had someone "tip" me after their match just because I sat there and sweated the set. I didn't do anything to deserve a "tip"... players that win money for someone in a calcutta... they deserve a tip IMO. Some people present the argument that they've had players quit in the middle of a tourney and they lost money....calcutta's are gambling... you're talking a risk on something that you can't control.... it's a risk that you chose to take, no one made them take it. No one blinks an eye at tipping the dealer... the dealer didn't win the money for them so why do people have such a hard time giving the player a tip for their services? :confused:

You summed it all up in this post. Calcuttas are gambling. YOU , the buyer, is taking a risk, not the PLAYER. So why should the player get any money from it? I hate to beat a dead horse, but I doubt any of you have ever won a calcutta that was $21,000. Well, I have and half of it went to someone else that bought our team. We went for $3300 and bought half our team back. The guy that bought our team was on the same team as Jack Wagner and had millions. The subject of "tipping" us for winning him 5 digits wasn't discussed nor should it have been. The buyer takes all the risk and should reap all the reward. He told us good job and even that was at his descretion. To take this a step further, if we hadn't bought half of our team back, he would have made a huge score because we won the tournament, but why should we get a tip? The answer is that we shouldn't. He would have put up all of the money and he should get it all. If pool players want any money from a calcutta, which is completely seperate from the actual tournament, then they should buy themselves. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT!

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
The Baby's Arm said:
You summed it all up in this post. Calcuttas are gambling. YOU , the buyer, is taking a risk, not the PLAYER. So why should the player get any money from it? I hate to beat a dead horse, but I doubt any of you have ever won a calcutta that was $21,000. Well, I have and half of it went to someone else that bought our team. We went for $3300 and bought half our team back. The guy that bought our team was on the same team as Jack Wagner and had millions. The subject of "tipping" us for winning him 5 digits wasn't discussed nor should it have been. The buyer takes all the risk and should reap all the reward. He told us good job and even that was at his descretion. To take this a step further, if we hadn't bought half of our team back, he would have made a huge score because we won the tournament, but why should we get a tip? The answer is that we shouldn't. He would have put up all of the money and he should get it all. If pool players want any money from a calcutta, which is completely seperate from the actual tournament, then they should buy themselves. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT!

Why not just state 'I am a cheap sob' and leave it at that. More people
would understand and accept that than you current attitude. I am sure,
that at some time, a player that you are bidding on, is working behind the
scenes, to get someone else to buy him in the calcutta instead of you.
The greatest decisions made, are often the ones that don't make sense
in black and white.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Baby's Arm said:

Hi,
I am with u.
Desparateness leading to greediness which is leading to sense of Entitlement which is leading to IRRATIONAL expectation for TIPS/Jelly/Walking stick.With respect to the matters related to Calcutta the player is entitled FOR NOTHING.

Last edited:
T

Timberly

vagabond said:
Hi,
I am with u.
Desparateness leading to greediness which is leading to sense of Entitlement which is leading to IRRATIONAL expectation for TIPS/Jelly/Walking stick.With respect to the matters related to Calcutta the player is entitled FOR NOTHING.

The Baby's Arm said:
If pool players want any money from a calcutta, which is completely seperate from the actual tournament, then they should buy themselves. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT!

I'm not saying that it should happen every time... there's lots for a person to take into consideration when doing this and it's at each persons descretion. I don't think that every pool player is entitled to a jelly roll from the winner of the calcutta, every time. I do think it should happen more than not. It shouldn't be expected but it should also happen. It's not illegal to not tip a waiter... it's at the customer's descretion...but it is customary to do so. Some people are firm believers in not tipping a waiter... they make $2.13 an hour! Anyway, that's a whole other thread... We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Again, I don't think it should be an automatic thing all the time, but I do think that people should be willing to do so at times also. This is one of those subjects where there will always be division among the troops and you'll never get everyone to agree on one side or the other. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on when it comes to this subject, I want to wish all that read this a happy new year. ;)

Timberly said:
I'm not saying that it should happen every time... there's lots for a person to take into consideration when doing this and it's at each persons descretion. I don't think that every pool player is entitled to a jelly roll from the winner of the calcutta, every time. I do think it should happen more than not. It shouldn't be expected but it should also happen. It's not illegal to not tip a waiter... it's at the customer's descretion...but it is customary to do so. Some people are firm believers in not tipping a waiter... they make $2.13 an hour! Anyway, that's a whole other thread... We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Again, I don't think it should be an automatic thing all the time, but I do think that people should be willing to do so at times also. This is one of those subjects where there will always be division among the troops and you'll never get everyone to agree on one side or the other. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on when it comes to this subject, I want to wish all that read this a happy new year. ;)

Fair enough, agree to disagree. :D

Snapshot9 said:
Why not just state 'I am a cheap sob' and leave it at that. More people
would understand and accept that than you current attitude. I am sure,
that at some time, a player that you are bidding on, is working behind the
scenes, to get someone else to buy him in the calcutta instead of you.
The greatest decisions made, are often the ones that don't make sense
in black and white.

Scott" The Clown" Fraser, I have no idea who you are, but if you knew me then you would know that I am by no means cheap. The next time you are in Athens or anywhere in North Georgia, ask anyone if I have ever bought them a drink, or ten drinks for that matter. I'm the guy that sets the entire bar up on occasion. I just don't believe that the player deserves any of the calcutta money. That, by no means, makes me cheap. One person, however, that I won't be buying a drink is you.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banker Burt said:

In any case, this thread is a spin off from John wanting to clear some air about his character. Not necessary John, you're a good guy and as Josh Palmer said, I too know my bankroll is safe with you.

I forgot JELLY in the title. A bought player is not like the toast you order for breakfast, nor the jelly you put on it. A player is more like the waiter, where if you are served well then they have earned a TIP.

Remember, some players are superstitious about the positions they put themselves in. Normally a calcutta is run just before, or during, an event and players may not want to think about money but more about getting into gear for playing.

My position is on the player's side, where they work very hard for very little. Those of you on the sidelines thinking you are doing something by buying the right horse, go to the track where the horse could care less about you and your jelly, or no jelly as some of you referred.

PS Be a pro John. Pissed off or not, you have a bigger and better future with the IPT. The old school is virtually gone for players of your caliber.

Do you play pool at all?

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banker Burt said:

Do you play pool?

Snapshot9

Silver Member
That's fine ...

The Baby's Arm said:
Scott" The Clown" Fraser, I have no idea who you are, but if you knew me then you would know that I am by no means cheap. The next time you are in Athens or anywhere in North Georgia, ask anyone if I have ever bought them a drink, or ten drinks for that matter. I'm the guy that sets the entire bar up on occasion. I just don't believe that the player deserves any of the calcutta money. That, by no means, makes me cheap. One person, however, that I won't be buying a drink is you.

I don't drink, so that is not a problem. BTW, I would tip a player that made
me money a lot faster than buying the house a round. That just doesn't seem
to play. Just another one of your 'dick' comments I suppose.

Snapshot9 said:
I don't drink, so that is not a problem. BTW, I would tip a player that made
me money a lot faster than buying the house a round. That just doesn't seem
to play. Just another one of your 'dick' comments I suppose.

lol, because I buy people shots and drinks I'm a dick. Makes no sense what so ever. Then again, none of your goddamn posts make any sense. They all make you sound like a wannabe pool player that gives all the players hand jobs because they can play and you want to be more like them. I think you should join the circus or pehaps be a rodeo clown.

Snapshot9

Silver Member
The Baby's Arm said:
lol, because I buy people shots and drinks I'm a dick. Makes no sense what so ever. Then again, none of your goddamn posts make any sense. They all make you sound like a wannabe pool player that gives all the players hand jobs because they can play and you want to be more like them. I think you should join the circus or pehaps be a rodeo clown.

Well, I tell you, put your cue together, we'll flop them out on the table,
and see which one makes more balls, and I tip you cab money home after
we're done.

Snapshot9 said:
Well, I tell you, put your cue together, we'll flop them out on the table,
and see which one makes more balls, and I tip you cab money home after
we're done.

I've never claimed to be a great pool player. I only bolt together when I have the nuts. I haven't picked up a cue in over 6 months. Do you play golf? Drinking contest? Darts? Poker? Basketball? Or perhaps fight?

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timberly said:
It's not illegal to not tip a waiter... it's at the customer's descretion...but it is customary to do so. Some people are firm believers in not tipping a waiter... they make $2.13 an hour! Anyway, that's a whole other thread... We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Again, I don't think it should be an automatic thing all the time, but I do think that people should be willing to do so at times also.

Hi Timberly,
I NEVER got involved with calcutta in my life and I will never participate in that process in the future.
Here I am giving a devil`s advocate position.
Waiter situation is slightly different because the person that went for eating/drinking is a customer to the restaurant and the waiter/waitress.But the person who bought the player in calcutta has no relationship with the player and he is not a customer to the player ( Am I trying to apply the Deming`s principles of management here?)
Black eye peas tastes better than the Saurkraut.I am missing my blackeye peas here.Cheers

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Baby's Arm said:
I've never claimed to be a great pool player. I only bolt together when I have the nuts. I haven't picked up a cue in over 6 months. Do you play golf? Drinking contest? Darts? Poker? Basketball? Or perhaps fight?

Yee Haa a pissin contest!

Snapshot9

Silver Member
The Baby's Arm said:

no, no, no, yes, yes (although I was a point guard, not a forward or center), yes (although since I turn 58 this month, I try to avoid that unless someone stands on my toes real hard). Now, look, you are entitled to your opinion and
I mine. I would be hesitant to tip someone if they were trying to 'steal' money
from me, but not if they had earned it, and someone that has made me money
has earned something, IMO. And secondly, no offense to you, but I find that
your 'handle' to be associated with what it means distasteful to me and in bad
taste to anyway associate something of a baby too.... Kapeesh ...

Snapshot9 said:
no, no, no, yes, yes (although I was a point guard, not a forward or center), yes (although since I turn 58 this month, I try to avoid that unless someone stands on my toes real hard). Now, look, you are entitled to your opinion and
I mine. I would be hesitant to tip someone if they were trying to 'steal' money
from me, but not if they had earned it, and someone that has made me money
has earned something, IMO. And secondly, no offense to you, but I find that
your 'handle' to be associated with what it means distasteful to me and in bad
taste to anyway associate something of a baby too.... Kapeesh ...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I will change it right away and get an avatar of a girl pulling her skirt up (much less offensive, I'm sure).