Can a very slightly warped butt (warped near the joint) be repaired?

I recently purchased a Joss cue on ebay (the seller told me it was straight), and than quickly resold it (thinking that the joint was warped on it, but I was wrong). The buyer was very unhappy with the cue, so I gave the buyer a complete refund. I see now that I made a very big mistake. I did not roll the cue on a lighted table. I rolled it on a table that dud not have the lights turned on (very stupid of me, I know). I see now that the butt has a very slight warp in it, that is near the stainless steal joint. The warp is so slight that I did not notice it before. The shaft is also warped, but the tip does not leave the table when the shaft is rolled. The roll out is in the middle of the shaft, but for some reason, the tip does not leave the table when it it rolled (so I guess that the warp could not be all that bad). Now when the cue is rolled together, it looks horribly warped. The shaft and tip come completely off of the table (maybe about 1/4 of an inch or less, not sure). Maybe it is the joint that is crooked, but I am really not sure. I was still able to play good with the cue, so the warp did not affect my game. Does anyone think that $150 is a fair price to ask for the cue (in its condition)? Can a a very slightly warped butt (warped near the joint) be repaired, and how much would that normally cost (on average)? Thank you for any help. Here are some not so good quality pictures (that I took with a webcam) below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72317747@N06/

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Joss cue on ebay (the seller told me it was straight), and than quickly resold it (thinking that the joint was warped on it, but I was wrong). The buyer was very unhappy with the cue, so I gave the buyer a complete refund. I see now that I made a very big mistake. I did not roll the cue on a lighted table. I rolled it on a table that dud not have the lights turned on (very stupid of me, I know). I see now that the butt has a very slight warp in it, that is near the stainless steal joint. The warp is so slight that I did not notice it before. The shaft is also warped, but the tip does not leave the table when the shaft is rolled. The roll out is in the middle of the shaft, but for some reason, the tip does not leave the table when it it rolled (so I guess that the warp could not be all that bad). Now when the cue is rolled together, it looks horribly warped. The shaft and tip come completely off of the table (maybe about 1/4 of an inch or less, not sure). Maybe it is the joint that is crooked, but I am really not sure. I was still able to play good with the cue, so the warp did not affect my game. Does anyone think that $150 is a fair price to ask for the cue (in its condition)? Can a a very slightly warped butt (warped near the joint) be repaired, and how much would that normally cost (on average)? Thank you for any help. Here are some not so good quality pictures (that I took with a webcam) below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72317747@N06/

I certainly think you did the right thing giving the buyer a refund. But rolling a cue on table doesn't always show where or if the cue has a warp. If the wrap extends above the wrap groove or sometimes how the finish is apply can give the appearance of a warp when rolled.

The only way to find out where the problem is exactly is to spin the cue in a lathe between centers. Then use a dial indicator to how much movement there is and exactly where it is located.

Without having done this it is almost impossible to answer your question about fixing the cue.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Justinb386 doesn't mind me piggy-backing his thread........

I also have a Joss (1994 with the linen fiber joint) that has a slight bend right at the A joint (where the handle meets the forearm)
Dead-ass straight from the bottom of the forearm all the way throught the shaft's ferrule, but slight deflection of an angle from the top of the wrap down to the butt.

Is this worth fixing if the cue plays GREAT - which it does. But I've always wondered of this slight bend is causing me to miss a ball now and then?

Any info would help.

Thanks for your advise. So a cue maker would be able to find out what the problem is by spinning the cue on a lathe. So, if the butt is in fact warped, than can it be repaired? I think I read that this can be done, but I forget how they do it. What would the cost of the repair be (least to most in price)? Thanks.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Thanks for your advise. So a cue maker would be able to find out what the problem is by spinning the cue on a lathe. So, if the butt is in fact warped, than can it be repaired? I think I read that this can be done, but I forget how they do it. What would the cost of the repair be (least to most in price)? Thanks.

It depends upon many things when it comes to repairing a warped cue. First consider the cost or replacement verse the cost of repair.
Next the location of the warp will be a major factor when you consider if the cue can be repaired. In many cases most problems can be repaired, but only a some one who works with cues and has the lathe can tell for certain what the problem is, what it will cost to fix, and if it can be fixed.

Hope this helps

So there is no way for me to find out how much it would cost to get the cue repaired (or if it is even possible) without 1st sending it to a repair person. I do not even know who could do this kind of repair. I wish someone could tell me if anyone has ever successfully done this kind of repair? Is the cue just worthless garbage now, or is there any hope of ever being able to get the butt straightened out? I hope to receive so replies. I am really upset about this ebay seller not being honest with me about the cue, and now he is telling me that I can't get a refund because the cue was sold "as is". Thanks.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a mobley cue with a very slight warp in the butt. ive had the cue 15 years. He said its fixable, but it didnt bother me so I didnt fix it. He quoted me $100, so if you pay much more than that I think your getting a bad deal. As we all know hes a top cuemaker and repairman.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So there is no way for me to find out how much it would cost to get the cue repaired (or if it is even possible) without 1st sending it to a repair person. I do not even know who could do this kind of repair. I wish someone could tell me if anyone has ever successfully done this kind of repair? Is the cue just worthless garbage now, or is there any hope of ever being able to get the butt straightened out? I hope to receive so replies. I am really upset about this ebay seller not being honest with me about the cue, and now he is telling me that I can't get a refund because the cue was sold "as is". Thanks.

:smile:As long as you pay with paypal, you can always file a dispute.
File a dispute through ebay or paypal and you will win. It is rare for a seller to win a dispute. Item not as described.

And if you paid with a credit card through paypal, you can always do
a charge back through your credit card company. Just because a
seller says "sold as it or no returns," it means nothing if the description
is not right. File your dispute now!

Now to fix the cue it would be at least $175 with no guarantee.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Like I said you need to have an experienced cue maker look at the cue. I would be glad to help you out, if I was not as busy as I am. If don't have some one near by that you trust contact Ryan ratecues here on the forum. If he says the cue can't be fixed then it can't, he is very honest and his work is spot on. He works for Mueller Recreational products and he has access to all the top end equipment anyone would need.

I don't know what you paid for the cue, I know how tight money can be these days. If you don't want to send the cue out to Ryan file a complaint with paypal and eBay they may take care of the problem with the seller for you. Just don't wait to long, after a couple months they will not do anything to help you.

Sorry about your problem I hope things work out for you.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
File a dispute through ebay or paypal and you will win. It is rare for a seller to win a dispute. Item not as described.

Now to fix the cue it would be at least $175 with no guarantee.[/QUOTE]

What is this crap? Any reputable cue maker or repairman would not take some ones money for an estimate. If they take the job that is a guarantee, if they don't then it either can't be fixed or if they have any balls they will say it is above their ability.:cool:

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Now to fix the cue it would be at least $175 with no guarantee.[/QUOTE]

What is this crap? Any reputable cue maker or repairman would not take some ones money for an estimate. If they take the job that is a guarantee, if they don't then it either can't be fixed or if they have any balls they will say it is above their ability.:cool:

And who said it was for an estimate? I'd love to see someone fix this cue for under $175. :D

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
And who said it was for an estimate? I'd love to see someone fix this cue for under $175. :D

At this point we don't even know for certain where the problem is, checking a cue by rolling it on a table tells nothing in most cases. If the problem is a handle replacement because of a bad A-Joint it is not a big deal. But if you except the work and charge the individual you are also saying you can fix the cue, so this no guaranty is nothing but bull. The cost of the repair is mainly labor depending where the problem is, this is not eBay if you can't fix it you should not charge the customer anything at least that is what a respectable repair person would do, but it takes all kinds I suppose;)

Depending upon the problem and the cues value it may not be worth fixing.:smile:

Thanks for your help. I know the cue is not worth fixing if it will cost $100, or more. The shaft is also not very straight. I am worried that if I ship the cue back to the seller, than he may not be honest about receiving it. He already refused to refund my money, so I do not think I can trust him (even if paypal agrees with me about it). He could just lie about receiving the cue back, because a tracking number means nothing (still no proof of exactly what was delivered to the seller). I know I am crazy, but I worry about these kind of rare things happening. Maybe I will just buy a new shaft, and then it will not be too bad. I know the butt is a little warped, but it may also be the joint pin that is also warped. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help. I know the cue is not worth fixing if it will cost $100, or more. The shaft is also not very straight. I am worried that if I ship the cue back to the seller, than he may not be honest about receiving it. He already refused to refund my money, so I do not think I can trust him (even if paypal agrees with me about it). He could just lie about receiving the cue back, because a tracking number means nothing (still no proof of exactly what was delivered to the seller). I know I am crazy, but I worry about these kind of rare things happening. Maybe I will just buy a new shaft, and then it will not be too bad. I know the butt is a little warped, but it may also be the joint pin that is also warped. Thanks for your help.
With a straight shaft the cue will still be playable I have one with the same problem as yours and I play with it every day