Can anyone identify the cue on the left with the white collars???

RailKing85

1669474410062.png

Thanks in advance, and have an awesome saturday!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
thrift store cues. lots of those kind around. worth 5 bucks or ten with a nice case.
give one to a little kid and make him happy.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
What makes it junk? lol
It is made out of the lowest grade woods you can get in southeast asia, carved by some random 9-year-old, this q has a retail value today on eBay a $4.32

That's what makes it junk, plus the way it is constructed means it probably plays like garbage. If you enjoy it, then it is worth whatever you think it is. It may not sell for what you feel it is worth, but it has value to you and that's all that matters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
hustling in bars i had a cheap cue i could leave on the table and split if needed.

in pool rooms i brought an expensive looking cue. would talk about it and then stall so it served two purposes no one thought you were a hustler and it showed you had money.

i did the same thing with golf i had the newest best clubs. this way they knew you werent good as good players or hustlers keep the same clubs for years.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hustling in bars i had a cheap cue i could leave on the table and split if needed.

in pool rooms i brought an expensive looking cue. would talk about it and then stall so it served two purposes no one thought you were a hustler and it showed you had money.

i did the same thing with golf i had the newest best clubs. this way they knew you werent good as good players or hustlers keep the same clubs for years.
There is a cue for every occasion.

Sometimes an expensive cue works out well. Look dumb and rich.

Other times an under cover cue worked out well.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Back in the '70s I had a cue that turned into a walking stick. Perhaps a walking stick that turned into a cue. Remove the finial and the shaft was inside. Sure wish I had saved it, just for the sentimental value.

RailKing85

It is made out of the lowest grade woods you can get in southeast asia, carved by some random 9-year-old, this q has a retail value today on eBay a $4.32

That's what makes it junk, plus the way it is constructed means it probably plays like garbage. If you enjoy it, then it is worth whatever you think it is. It may not sell for what you feel it is worth, but it has value to you and that's all that matters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
show me this cue on ebay for $4.32 lol

RailKing85

Just saw it, it's going for 40-50 bucks

GentlemanJames

Yep, yep, yep, In '74 when Dad bought our table from friends who were moving to another state, it came with 2 of these funky carved cues.

IIRC, they were made in Japan (Perhaps sold at Sears???).

They were super-light and made of some type of low-density wood. This is when I first stated playing, and unlike the brand-new good quality maple house cues Dad had bought for us kids to use, since I didn't know 'Sheeeet from Shinola' - and, very little has improved with me since, as Wifey is keen to frequently inform me - and, being a kid at the time, I thought these were 'very fancy, very special cues'.

Whenever I see one of those cues on eBay, I have to laugh at the memory it triggers:

Every time Dad would come downstairs to work with us, my sister and I would be standing there, smiling proudly with one of the these "beauties" in our hands; and, Dad would say, "Hey, Don't use those; I spent good money getting you kids decent cues and you two kept playing with those! Why do you keep playing with them?!?"

And every time, I'd loudly protest and say: "But Daaaaad, these are faaaaaancy!!"; and, my sister would just smile, nodding in justified agreement.

Dad would just look at us in a looong frozen pause, then, do his classic "mystified and disapproving Dad head-shake", exhale audibly, and silently pick up decent cue for himself and start the lesson.

You know, today, if I could read a hard-copy print-out what Dad's unspoken inner-dialog was during those all the 100s of "looks" he would give us kids over the years, I'd pay good money to get to read that!

I'm sure it would be pure comedy gold. LOL! - GJ

Last edited:

RailKing85

Yep, yep, yep, In '74 when Dad bought our table from friends who were moving to another state, it came with 2 of these funky carved cues.

IIRC, they were made in Japan.

They were super-light and made of some type of low-density wood. This is when I first stated playing, and unlike the brand-new good quality maple house cues Dad had bought for us kids to use, since I didn't know 'Sheeeet from Shinola' - and, very little has improved with me since, as Wifey is keen to frequently inform me - and, being a kid at the time, I thought these were 'very fancy, very special cues'.

Whenever I see one of those cues on eBay, I have to laugh at the memory it triggers:

Every time Dad would come downstairs to work with us, my sister and I would be standing there, smiling proudly with one of the these "beauties" in our hands; and, Dad would say, "Hey, Don't use those; I spent good money getting you kids decent cues and you two kept playing with those! Why do you keep playing with them?!?"

And every time, I'd loudly protest and say: "But Daaaaad, these are faaaaaancy!!"; and, my sister would just smile, nodding in justified agreement.

Dad would just look at us in a looong frozen pause, then, do his classic "mystified and disapproving Dad head-shake", exhale audibly, and silently pick up decent cue for himself and start the lesson.

You know, today, if I could read a hard-copy print-out what Dad's unspoken inner-dialog was during those all the 100s of "looks" he would give us kids over the years, I'd pay good money to get to read that!

I'm sure it would be pure comedy gold. LOL! - GJ
Love it. They indeed do look fancy. Now-a-days if someone did that with some maple It would probably look good.

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That brought back some memories. I had one of these back in the mid 80's. Got it as a gift from my uncle. Looked exactly like this one, down to the pocket knife level carving on the butt. Each of the joints would go loose at random times so your hit would feel horrible and oddly noisy and you had to start at the bottom and tighten each section until you found the culprit joint. Man that thing really sucked. Thank to the OP for posting this though, it was a fun short trip down memory lane.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
It might be kind of fun to find one of these, have a phenolic tip installed and use it as a customizable jump cue. Could be good for some laughs whenever you pull it out.
A long time ago I did exactly what you are suggesting and tried one out of curiosity to see how well it could jump since it could be configured into different lengths. It was horrible at jumping no matter what configuration you put it in. Hit a few balls with it out of curiosity as well and it played as bad as it jumped, just horrible.

As far as the quality and value...as others have said, they were absolute junk cues made in China and Taiwan with the lowest possible quality of workmanship, materials, and structural design that could be managed, and I recall them costing around $20 in the 90's which was about as cheap as a cue could get at the time.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know very little about cues but I do remember some cues from back in the day that looked similar to that one. However the value of the cue is less than what time it took me to write my opinion.