Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in the Virginia Beach area for the upcoming 14.1 Championships

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Looking to attend this year's 2022 14.1 Championship at Q-Master Billiards in Virginia Beach, VA.

Anyone have good hotel experiences in that area they would recommend.

Also any hotels to steer clear of as well.

On a different subject any eateries you would recommend outside of chain restaurants.

Thanks

Last edited:

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kevin,

I don't have a hotel recommendation, but if you like upscale diner fare check out Citrus. Very popular, so I would avoid weekend brunch times, but well worth a visit!

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s a Garden Inn 3 miles north. In that complex there’s Cheesecake Factory, Bravo’s, and a bunch more. Great area.
I was there for a 1P tournament

Q Master has a great tournament room, the front tables are Blue labels and the rest are reds that play pretty well.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking to attend this year's 2022 14.1 Championship at Q-Master Billiards in Virginia Beach, VA.

On a different subject any eateries you would recommend outside of chain restaurants.

Thanks
I visited Q-Masters once and the surrounding area seemed very safe so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would try to find a hotel as close as possible to the venue. At the time, I was staying about 20 minutes away on the beachfront.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks
The tournament's website has a recommended hotel. It's close to Q-Master -- like a five minute walk. It seems like a very good rate. $89, plus tax it is $105/night.

The hotel is the same parent company as the Sheraton where the International Open is, in case you collect loyalty points.

Another option is the La Quinta -- also a short walk from Q-Master. I stayed there once and it was fine.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Related to which, this is off-season for the area, so if you have a car you might get a good deal in the tourist area by the beach. I did that one year and got a hotel on the beach with a view at a very good rate. That was the year that Superstorm Sandy passed by at the end of the US Open. It was an experience. :eek:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

When I went last year I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, VA Beach.

It's about a five minute drive from the PR and was nice. If you don't have car your eating options are very limited within the immediate area. One evening I drove down to the beach and ate at an Italian joint on the water -- Il Giardino, a *very* nice place.

Lou Figueroa

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would avoid the direct beachfront hotels in VA. beach- it has become more and more rundown with a lot of homeless roaming the side streets there and often very noisy on the boardwalk at night. if you like Chinese, Judy's Sichuan is the best Chinese in the state of Va. - all the Chinese people eat there.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Anyone have good hotel experiences in that area they would recommend. ...
Google says it is only about 7 miles from Q-Master Billiards to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. So you could stay at the Sheraton, drive a few miles each day for the 14.1, and then be all set for the International Open starting right after the 14.1. [But I'm guessing you don't plan on attending the International.]

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks

HOTEL​

SpringHill Suites
6350 Newtown Rd.
Norfolk, VA 23502
(757) 333-3100
$89 + tax
incl. breakfast
Must reserve by 10/14/22

Q-Masters' food isn't too bad, either, but certainly not gourmet.
If you plan to attend the International Open, then check out the Sheraton Waterside Hotel in Norfolk, about a 15-20 minute drive from Q-Masters.
Not sure if there are still rooms available.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Google says it is only about 7 miles from Q-Master Billiards to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. So you could stay at the Sheraton, drive a few miles each day for the 14.1, and then be all set for the International Open starting right after the 14.1. [But I'm guessing you don't plan on attending the International.]
It is a quick drive -- mostly on interstate -- and I have stayed for the tournaments both ways. The Sheraton area has much better walkable eating options. If you reserve through the International Open site/code it's $139 a night including taxes. I think parking is an additional $7/day with in/out privileges. (I'm not sure whether the deal covers the first days of the 14.1.)

I'm staying at the Springhill through the end of the 14.1 and then moving to the Sheraton this year.

MitchDAZB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm also looking to attend.

Does single-elimination play start on Thursday, October 27?
What's the start time each of those days, 11am?
How many matches are left for the final Saturday? Two semis and the final? Are the semis played one after the other, or at the same time?

Thank you and thanks to Peter Burrows and all who have made this event possible for so many years.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wish I could, moved away from there in '88. They were going through a period of Builder's Diarrhea,
literally crappin' homes and buildings all over the place. Some homes were so close to each other ya
couldn't run a 20" lawnmower between'em. But, overall, still a nice place, for a tourist trap.

hank

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Does single-elimination play start on Thursday, October 27?
What's the start time each of those days, 11am?
How many matches are left for the final Saturday? Two semis and the final? Are the semis played one after the other, or at the same time?

Thank you and thanks to Peter Burrows and all who have made this event possible for so many years.
I think the complete schedule will be up on the website shortly. https://americanstraightpool.com/

Briefly: Men's round robin play starts at noon Mon-Tues-Wed-Thu. The women start at noon on Thursday. Men's elimination starts at 8PM on Thursday. All the semifinals and finals are on Saturday starting at noon.