Can't get the spin to take on the cueball. HELP PLEASE!

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the club I play at the tables are quite slow which means most shots have to be hit quite hard but sometimes if i'm playing position from one end of the table to the other the spin just will not take.

Has anybody any ideas on how to sort this out. cheers. :)
 
Maybe the problem is while you are hitting the ball harder you are not striking the cue ball accurately and not applying any spin. Ya just got to "stroke" the ball more. Maybe that helps maybe mot :)

Eric.A.
 
Chances are, one of three things is occuring:

1) You're aligning your shot to hit (for example) low, but on your stroke, since you're hitting the ball much harder your tip is raising and you're actually striking the ball in the center. Solution: Aim lower, almost into the felt like you're attempting an illegal jump and practice the shot until you have a feel for it.

2) You are not using enough english/draw to compensate for the felt. Solution: Chalk up before every shot and exaggerate your english/draw.

3) The cue ball is one of those concrete balls with the lead center that is virtually impossible to draw unless you're less than a foot away and jacked up. Solution: Buy your own magnetic cue ball or play somewhere else.
 
I have the same problem, but even on the almost new Simonis 860 and a brand new Aramith Super Pro cue ball. I often do what Matt says in his #1 diagnosis. I'll feel like I'm really hitting the ball firm and low, and all I get is a stun shot, ZERO spin. It's infuriating! I'm obviously hitting the ball closer to the center. But when (and IF) I stroke properly (actually hitting the cue ball low), follow through AND loosen my grip on the cue slightly, I can draw the length of the table without even hitting that hard. That's a big deal for me because I am very much a newbie and it's a great tool!

Now, I sometimes have the opposite problem too, where I go too low and miscue underneath. Man, I am all over the place! No place to go but up in this silly game!

Tom
 
9 Ball, Try this excerise. Place the C/B on the head spot. Shoot from the short side of the table and just hit the C/B with right / center english. Hit it easy at first and just mke the C/B go to the short rail (which wold be on your right). Then hit it a little harder and make the C/B go to the short rail and then towards the long part of the rail from where you are shooting. When this works for you then hit the C/B hard enough to make it hit the short rail, then the long rail, and continue to the end of the table. If you are having still having trouble with the spin remember to stay down, use a closed bridge to steady your stroke, and focus on the C/B until you can execute a decent right english spin shot.

Wearing that face paint and spandex suit may be distracting you also.
 
9 ball said:
In the club I play at the tables are quite slow which means most shots have to be hit quite hard but sometimes if i'm playing position from one end of the table to the other the spin just will not take.

Has anybody any ideas on how to sort this out. cheers. :)
Is it only at the club you play? That is, do you have any issues with the spin taking in other places that aren't slow?

Dirt and humidity are a dastardly pair when it comes to pool and billiards. Ask to have things cleaner, or at the very least, clean the cueball yourself. Don't use silicone or anything like that, however.

Fred
 
You're either not stroking straight through the CB or you're muscling the shot.

Watch pro tapes and the quality of their stroke. Visualize doing the same. Straight through, no muscle, perfect timing, gradual acceleration. But of course a pre-condition for all that is a good alignment routine.
 
to answer your question cornerman yes it is only at the club I play and humidity and dirt to play a factor, also what is meant by muscling a shot?.

P.S

How's my sig?.
 
Good question: what is muscling a shot?

Ideally, when you're stroke is grooved and aligned, the weight of the cue does the work of the delivery. There is an economy of bodily effort; you can impart all the speed you want without tensing up your arm muscles and without changing the grip pressure during the transition from backstroke to delivery.

A symptom of muscling a shot is poking and jabing, which is the opposite of a gradual acceleration through the CB while remaining still. Psychologically, the translation goes something like "if I don't hit this harder on my final stroke the CB won't get there." And so you add muscle to the shot and "hit" it, instead of "stroking" it.

Paradoxically, you get less action and less speed on the cueball when muscling it. And, of course, you lose tip accuracy.
 
Last edited:
This quote comes to mind :

"See, Brad. Brad is your name right? What you wanna do here is stroke it, not poke it."
 
Back
Top