OR
b) No, CF shaft on Balabuska would be awesome
???
could be both
i would be ok with trying it
you open up a can of worms
i have owned many cues from many blue chip cuemakers
i played with their shafts but started using low deflection shafts
i actually bought LD shafts with various pins so i could use them on the cues i owned
each butt had a different feel so i still could get the feel of the cuemaker even if it wasnt exactly what was felt with one his shafts
i know to the purists this is blasphemy
but i dont care....😝
let me add
since the shafts (LD) were the same it helped me appreciate the butts and cuemakers "feel" even more
jmho
icbw

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I mean, you can do whatever you want with if it’s your Bushka. But it’s like buying an old Shelby and putting an electric motor in it. It will work.

But you won’t get the experience you’re after.

Tbh if you’re buying a Bushka to slap a CF on it and head down to the pool hall, maybe that’s not the best use of the cash but it’s your cash not mine.

tomatoshooter

The SWAT team should be rolling up to your place any second now.

If you don't alter the original cue, I don't see why it matters.
Probably a crime, if you have the money for a bushka. You have the cash for modern cue.
Probably. I've never shot with a Bushka so I have no idea what they are like. I would think part of the appeal would be experiencing it in as close to original form as possible. Then again, if I had a butt and had a preference for CF shafts, why not? I might try to find a modern wood shaft that I liked to preserve the looks, similar to how I can find 17" wheels that resemble the Rallye wheels that came on the Corvette I don't own.

dspaboss

I suppose if you had to....I'd give the Pete's or Theresa a call and put in an order for one of their new CF shafts.
Or at the very least some replacement maples, they are as close to George's as you can get.:unsure:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen quite a few players put a CF shaft on some high end makers cue. Kinda kills about half the point of having a custom cue, but it works as a cue for poking a ball around the table. Some guy was at SBE with a $10,000 or so Black Boar using a CF shaft on it. Results are the same as if using a $100 cue with the same shaft.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you like the looks of the cue but the play of the carbon fiber shaft do it. who cares what anyone thinks.

Reactions: bbb

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem with it I see.

Yeah, it’s not gonna play like a Bushka with the CF shaft, but that’s kinda the point, and you always have your original shaft to go back to.

Not the same thing but I’ve been running a Revo on my Runde lately. I love my Runde cue and don’t want to stop playing with it but wanted to try the benefits of a carbon LD shaft and didn’t really want to buy a whole new cue. Works well and I keep a standard Runde wood shaft in my case as well so I can always swap back for the traditional feel.

Just because you want the benefits of a modern shaft doesn’t mean you need to go with a cheap (or expensive) mass produced run of the mill butt with it.

TrxR

I've been playing with a Treadway with a 11.8mm Revo. My vote is who cares , if you like the way it plays then use it. It's not like your destroying the cue.

Reactions: bbb

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see the problem. You can always take carbon fiber shaft back off of the butt. Takes about 10 seconds. Put the original shaft back on it, and you have your precious, big money cue, intact again. It's not like you are doing any damage to the Balabushka.

And frankly, I doubt if many people in a typical pool room would even notice it. Most would think it's just another cue with a carbon fiber shaft....unless you went around bragging about it. I wouldn't recognize a Balabushka if you put it in my hands.

Last edited:

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it’s like buying an old Shelby and putting an electric motor in it.
I'd say it's more like putting a modern set of high performance tires on it. You increase the performance, and have some fun driving it around. When you are through, put the old bias ply tires back on, and call it original.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, a CF on an original Balabushka would be the same as fully electrifying a 57 Chevy - come on!! But, then, again, I was holding a cue stick from the early- mid 60s and my older brothers had a few '57 Chevys during that time period- so I AM biased towards leaving pool cues from the 60s and 70s as they were built.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your best bet for a Bushka is to have Tascarella build you a shaft for it. A carbon fiber shaft on a old classic genuine Bushka is like putting thin tired mag wheels with lights in them on an all original 1960s Corvette. It works, but it doesn't fit the time frame of the car.