Carbon fiber on an original Balabushka

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To me, a CF on an original Balabushka would be the same as fully electrifying a 57 Chevy - come on!! But, then, again, I was holding a cue stick from the early- mid 60s and my older brothers had a few '57 Chevys during that time period- so I AM biased towards leaving pool cues from the 60s and 70s as they were built.
I was writing mine while you posted yours. I guess we were thinking alike.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's your cue. Tell the naysayers to put cash up and buy it from you, or to firmly close their mouths
I would not do it, but I think that ideologist is right, your cue, do what you want , you don't really need opinions- but, since you asked, I gave mine anyhow in an earlier post here.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean, you can do whatever you want with if it’s your Bushka. But it’s like buying an old Shelby and putting an electric motor in it. It will work.

But you won’t get the experience you’re after.

Tbh if you’re buying a Bushka to slap a CF on it and head down to the pool hall, maybe that’s not the best use of the cash but it’s your cash not mine.

You have to actually modify the car to do that though.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is your pool cue so you just darn well do anything you please with it. Use it as a break stick or a toothpick
but listening to others that don’t own the cue, and most of them never could, is like asking a total stranger on
a street corner for investment advice on what to buy or sell when the stock market opens for business tomorrow.

You might get some great tips or could go broke but regardless, it’s no skin off the nose of the person giving you the
advice. I say remember that it is just a pool cue when all is said and done. Play with it and when it strikes your fancy,
use a carbon fiber shaft or a Kielwood equivalent or it’s original maple shaft or a substitute but just play with the cue.

Reactions: bbb

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not play with it? What's the worst that can happen?
Oh I'm all for it if someone's daily player was a Balabuska and they wanted a CF shaft. What I mean is I don't think anyone is daily playing a Balabuska, period. The style is pretty outdated amongst the modern players. The older players that may still have one, probably don't take it out much for fear of it getting stolen. So that leaves very little left that might actually play with the cue enough to warrant a modern shaft. I think Bob J on here was the only one I ever heard of that still played with with one recently, and I believe even he hung it a couple years ago up to go modern.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only a crime but also an insult. Something a millennial would do.
I don't think a young player would ever buy one. If they had 10k to throw around on one, they'd buy a Black Boar or similar for that money. It's just a dated design that does not resonate with young players. IMO:)

If a 20 year was given a gift of 100k and they had to spend it on a car.... They would buy a new sports car, rather than a restored/modifed 1957 corvette for the same money. Its just styles and tastes change over the years.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think a young player would ever buy one. If they had 10k to throw around on one, they'd buy a Black Boar or similar for that money. It's just a dated design that does not resonate with young players. IMO:)

If a 20 year was given a gift of 100k and they had to spend it on a car.... They would buy a new sports car, rather than a restored/modifed 1957 corvette for the same money. Its just styles and tastes change over the years.
Back in the ‘90’s there was a player that had one. It appeared to be dried out and the inserts on the butt were not the percisio work you see today. They were hand cut and inlaI’d by hand. Today a lot of detail is performed utilizing a laser.