Carbon Fiber Shafts should be Banned

Minnesota Phat

Is a heavier cue better than a lighter cue or is a 13mm shaft superior to a 12mm shaft?
How about a leather wrap offering a better grip versus a linen wrap or even none at all?

You could recite lots of comparisons and contrasts in pool cues & advanced technology.
Doesn’t it always come down to what any pool player likes the best for their style of play?

Maple shafts, Ash shafts, laminated, LD, old growth timber, size, taper, type tip, weight &
balance, ferrules, CF shafts & sizes…..lots of variables so just pick what you like & play it.
Occasionally we suffer a plague of overabundance, like when New Coke came out - there were already more than enough flavors of Coke - one flavor, but then they replaced the old flavor with an updated flavor, and almost everyone now agrees that this was in poor taste.

I was just watching snooker, and the simple elegance of the presentation of the table, equipment, etc. is striking. And the sounds - the sounds are so important, and they sound best knowing that they were made by wood and leather.

Carbon fiber may or may not provide an advantage, but I'd say that in a spectator sport context, wood is a better choice than carbon fiber because it looks and sounds a certain way that most onlookers seem to naturally enjoy more than the looks and sounds of carbon fiber.

As for just playing pool without any audience, I suppose it's a free country, or at least it should be. I think one can still buy New Coke some places, and I've seen a lot of cheap titanium pool cues being sold second-hand, if such things suit one's taste.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Occasionally we suffer a plague of overabundance, like when New Coke came out - there were already more than enough flavors of Coke - one flavor, but then they replaced the old flavor with an updated flavor, and almost everyone now agrees that this was in poor taste.

I was just watching snooker, and the simple elegance of the presentation of the table, equipment, etc. is striking. And the sounds - the sounds are so important, and they sound best knowing that they were made by wood and leather.

Carbon fiber may or may not provide an advantage, but I'd say that in a spectator sport context, wood is a better choice than carbon fiber because it looks and sounds a certain way that most onlookers seem to naturally enjoy more than the looks and sounds of carbon fiber.

As for just playing pool without any audience, I suppose it's a free country, or at least it should be. I think one can still buy New Coke some places, and I've seen a lot of cheap titanium pool cues being sold second-hand, if such things suit one's taste.
SHUT UP!! LOL
TFT

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn’t matter because 99% of those that suck with a wood shaft will also suck with a CF shaft.

Pool players are getting as bad as golfers trying to buy a game. Will drop $500 on the new hot shaft but won’t spend a dime for a lesson.
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with my golf game that can’t be cured by my checkbook!

😂

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
Based on your gut feeling. I know you didn't poll the majority of pool "onlookers" to determine their preference. My son has a Skylar Woodward Meucci with a curly maple forearm and grey stained splices. This cue except with grey Italian lizard wrap and a Meucci carbon Pro shaft.
meucci-pool-cue-swbb-1-x-largesleev.jpg

I'm biased but the combination looks awesome to me. He loves it and tries to beat me with it. The nerve. I would bet you couldn't tell the sound of a good carbon shaft impacting the cue ball from a maple shaft. There is no hollow "ping" like the first Revos. That was a dealbreaker for me.

Want to hear an ugly sounding cue? Find the King of the Hill 8b match between Efren and Mike Sigel. listen to Efren's cue.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is about the worst and most hilarious post i have read in a long long time. I have used them and prefer wood too, but, I also see the value in the carbon fiber!! If you are "in stroke" and you have skills = GREAT TOOL. If you are not playing much and your skills are not at peak, stick to wood.
EXPECT LESS OF YOU< FROM OTHERS.

TFT
:)
This is what the old men who hate change like to argue about . I Don’t think they make anyone better. It does have a different hit and feel that some people prefer and some people don’t. When it comes to cues it all comes down to feel so what you like has nothing to do with what someone else likes. People think a south west is the greatest cue ever and pay top dollar. I wouldn’t give you a nickel for one. I don’t think anything special about the way they play but if it’s your jam then play with one. Banning something because you personally don’t like it is silly and childish but after years of being here is expected on this forum.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I switched after some clueless fuckwit accidentally knocked one of my customs onto the floor, damaging the forearm badly. I had just gotten it back from proficient who completed a beautiful refinish about 3 weeks prior to the incident. Now my customs hang in the closet and I play with a Cynergy. It's harder to damage, but if it does I can have another just like it in my hand in a couple days.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
16 pages in less than a week on a topic about banning carbon shafts? I think I need a summary of what's been going on here, but just off the cuff: nobody is forcing anyone to use a cf shaft, so the answer is 'no'.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
16 pages in less than a week on a topic about banning carbon shafts? I think I need a summary of what's been going on here, but just off the cuff: nobody is forcing anyone to use a cf shaft, so the answer is 'no'.

Plus unless you a Tournament player going for gold, think most of the recreational players wold not know CF from custom Rattle Can Black Maple.😳

Minnesota Phat

Cliff's notes:

-Lots of comments about how stupid/old/tyrannical/hypocritical/insincere I am.

-Some comments about how the thread got too long (which makes the thread longer, but OK).

-People have very strong feelings about jump cues, but I'd be shocked if there are more than two people on this thread who can successfully pocket mid-difficulty jump shots even 50% of the time. (Don't ask me why this debate started).

-One invitation to move to England, if I bring cookies (because they use traditional cues there).

-According to the comments, CF is definitely better for performance, or worse, or just different, or makes no difference.

-Multiple claims that old Revo shafts make a "tink" sound, but newer CF shafts sound better.

-They used to make golf balls out of leather and feathers.

-No one has admitted that they agree with me about banning CF shafts.

-My jokes didn't go over as well as I had hoped, and I think someone implied that I'm transphobic for pointing out that the only thing I know about Toledo is that Corporal Klinger from MASH was from Toledo. Someone also pointed out that Klinger is now technically a Disney Princess due to media corporation mergers and acquisitions.

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
-People have very strong feelings about jump cues, but I'd be shocked if there are more than two people on this thread who can successfully pocket mid-difficulty jump shots even 50% of the time.
It isn't about making the shot. It is about escaping giving BIH by jumping over an obstructing ball instead of learning how to kick, an actual skill unlike learning to jump well enough to hit the object ball.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There must be some incredible players here, if y'all think that jump shots are easy.

I think I've maybe seen someone pocket a legal jump shot against me in a game once in my life. I've made a few successful jump shots in games, but not many, and I usually end up with bad shape when I make them. On Monday I did make one beautiful jump shot all cramped up in the corner of the table... and I managed to get both the object ball and the cue ball to go in the same pocket. :/

When I practice jump shots, even more experienced players have asked me how I do it. I'm not great at pool, but I sometimes watch people who are very good at it, and a successful jump shot is a rare thing to see.

I'd pay good money to watch the debaters here attempt jump shots in games that have a little money riding on them.

I wonder what the success rate is on jump shots for professional players...
You should play against better players...

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It isn't about making the shot. It is about escaping giving BIH by jumping over an obstructing ball instead of learning how to kick, an actual skill unlike learning to jump well enough to hit the object ball.

Better players expect more from most of their kicks, as well as most of their jumps.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cliff's notes:

-Lots of comments about how stupid/old/tyrannical/hypocritical/insincere I am.

-Some comments about how the thread got too long (which makes the thread longer, but OK).

-People have very strong feelings about jump cues, but I'd be shocked if there are more than two people on this thread who can successfully pocket mid-difficulty jump shots even 50% of the time. (Don't ask me why this debate started).

-One invitation to move to England, if I bring cookies (because they use traditional cues there).

-According to the comments, CF is definitely better for performance, or worse, or just different, or makes no difference.

-Multiple claims that old Revo shafts make a "tink" sound, but newer CF shafts sound better.

-They used to make golf balls out of leather and feathers.

-No one has admitted that they agree with me about banning CF shafts.

-My jokes didn't go over as well as I had hoped, and I think someone implied that I'm transphobic for pointing out that the only thing I know about Toledo is that Corporal Klinger from MASH was from Toledo. Someone also pointed out that Klinger is now technically a Disney Princess due to media corporation mergers and acquisitions.
it's one of the most exciting topics in quite some time, if all this was discussed in -and I repeat- less than a week.

Minnesota Phat

I get that, but if you can't hit the object ball accurately on a jump shot, then you're probably not going to be playing a great safety, and you might scratch (in my case, I probably scratch about 35% of the time on high-pressure jump shots - LOL).

A good kick tends to be more controlled, and is a better play most of the time.

All things being equal, I think a good kicker will beat a good jumper - jumps are flashy and fun, but usually ineffective, sort of like opting for a difficult bank shot instead of opting for a safety. Efren rarely even bothered with jump shots, but he did/does OK.

If you're playing against someone who can't kick, and you can kick, then you have no business losing against that player, even if s/he's a great jumper. I've never seen anyone who can jump well and pocket balls well, but can't kick - if someone is making jump shots and winning against serious players, odds are 99.99% that s/he can kick too.

That said, I'll support the formation of a "no jump" circuit, if you'll support the formation of a pool circuit that bans new-technology cues, but allows jump cues. We can have both.

At least we seem to agree that not all progress is good progress, even if we totally disagree about which progress is bad, and which progress is good.

MajorMiscue

Demoncrat
Gold Member
I get that, but if you can't hit the object ball accurately on a jump shot, then you're probably not going to be playing a great safety, and you might scratch (in my case, I probably scratch about 35% of the time on high-pressure jump shots - LOL).

A good kick tends to be more controlled, and is a better play most of the time.

All things being equal, I think a good kicker will beat a good jumper - jumps are flashy and fun, but usually ineffective, sort of like opting for a difficult bank shot instead of opting for a safety. Efren rarely even bothered with jump shots, but he did/does OK.

If you're playing against someone who can't kick, and you can kick, then you have no business losing against that player, even if s/he's a great jumper. I've never seen anyone who can jump well and pocket balls well, but can't kick - if someone is making jump shots and winning against serious players, odds are 99.99% that s/he can kick too.

That said, I'll support the formation of a "no jump" circuit, if you'll support the formation of a pool circuit that bans new-technology cues, but allows jump cues. We can have both.

At least we seem to agree that not all progress is good progress, even if we totally disagree about which progress is bad, and which progress is good.
I'm glad we agree, jump cues have no place in pool.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What will that accomplish except be rack boy.

You words were like old line, play in Semi Pro/Pro Event.

You will be supporting Pool, and learning. I say BS, you will be light in wallet, and racking balls.
Pay attention dummy. My comment was specific to the part of his post that I bolded and italicized. He said he's only ever seen one person make a jump shot against him. If he wants more, he should play better players. :poop:(y):poop:(y)(n)(n):coffee::alien:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm glad we agree, jump cues have no place in pool.
Buuuuuuut, jump cues do have a place in pool. They're here and probably not going anywhere. Maybe people who can't accept that don't have a place in pool. I'm not a huge fan of jump shots myself, but no point in taking any kind of firm stance on it since they're here to stay.

While we're on the subject of things I'm not a fan of in pool, let's all talk about getting rid of tournaments that are both handicapped and capped based on skill ratings.