CARBON FIBER SHAFTS-WHICH ONE TO BUY?

DieselDevilDawg

I have been trying to save some money..it's very hard being old and fighting this damn inflation.....
So Viking Siege Carbon Fiber Shaft is $449.10
McDermott Defy is $300.00 This is a great price. The new one's coming out soon will be over $400 with the new permanent coating being applied to make them slicker. I still think the $300 one is probably the best deal in town.
I'm a little better than average player...I used to play on Vernor Hwy in Detroit back in the 60's. I played Cornbread Red many games of pool, I won some...he won more.
So my old eyes and my back are holding up. I want to shoot pool again so I'm probably going to buy a cheap Butt and then order the Defy shaft.
I have watched for many hours all the people on You Tube showing deflection and how this strokes and it is never ending.
It just seems like everybody likes their own pool cue.......oh well, two more social security checks and I'll be able to buy the Defy! Chattanooga Billiards Club here I come.....

tomatoshooter

I'd do a little research on the Defy regarding the stickyness. I haven't tried one, but it's enough of a thing that I'd want to know what I'm getting into. If the stickiness isn't a problem for you, then $300 is a hell of a deal. I assume Syebert's 90 day return policy is valid on that and that's certainly plenty of time to know if you like it. I hope you find a shaft you are happy with.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great, you want a carbon fiber. Pro taper or conical? What tip size? If you looked at Viking and Mcdermott, is it because you played those back in the day?

I quit pool in 1972 when I left Detroit for the Army. I've been back to playing for six years now. Moved from maple to cf. Pro taper. 12mm. Thin butt. Selling my Cuetec shafts (Revoes already gone). Shafts made to order under $300.

I now play what suits me. Borrowed cues, and bought cf used.

Take your time

Das Cue-Boot

I'd do a little research on the Defy regarding the stickyness. I haven't tried one, but it's enough of a thing that I'd want to know what I'm getting into. If the stickiness isn't a problem for you, then $300 is a hell of a deal. I assume Syebert's 90 day return policy is valid on that and that's certainly plenty of time to know if you like it. I hope you find a shaft you are happy with.
Except Seybert's is sold out with no prospect of restocking. I suspect we are seeing clearance sale to get rid of stock for the more expensive replacement.

TrxR

I've been playing with a Jacoby and just started trying a Whyte Carbon. The Jacoby shaft is on a Jacoby cue and I'm using the Whyte Carbon on my old Viking butt. So far I can't complain about either.

Zerksies

I'm using a Predator Revo 12.4. Most people bitch about pricing on Revo's I'm not cheap or a broke ass. I've been using predator shafts for over 20+ years. I'll stick with a brand i like and know

Das Cue-Boot

I did get one from Seybert's before they ran out of stock, with Seybert's bucks it came to a net of about $285. Not a hint of stickiness with no waxing, cue silk or other preparation, but we are in a very high and dry area, so humidity is not in play. If anyone is in Four Corners area and wants to try it out, let me know.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator's Revo shafts are made in Massachusetts.
Predator assembles the shaft in Massachusetts... Predator outsources the tube, brings it in, cleans it out ( so the foam adheres better), fill it with foam and a weight, and then assemble the joint and front end. They do not make the carbon fiber tubes themselves, I believe that only Cuetec does that, but those aren't made in the USA, per the original poster's comment.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator assembles the shaft in Massachusetts... Predator outsources the tube, brings it in, cleans it out ( so the foam adheres better), fill it with foam and a weight, and then assemble the joint and front end. They do not make the carbon fiber tubes themselves, I believe that only Cuetec does that, but those aren't made in the USA, per the original poster's comment.

And that's probably as close as you're going to get with a carbon shaft. I would be surprised if anyone in the US was producing the actual carbon tubes.

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BeCue

with a tip other than one of their tips... I play with G2 med. (though you may like one of their tips).

I have 4 of their shafts, 2 x 5/16-14 and 2 with their B-loc joint and they play really good (with no ping sound).