Carbon shaft with interchangeable joint ?

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was at the Wisconsin state tmt a couple weeks back, and addition to the Jacoby booth there, there was another table set up with someone else selling carbon shafts. I didn't go look at them as it was a name I hadn't herd of, but they had quite a crowd there testing out their shafts. Didn't think much more about it till last nights league, and was checking out a new Jacoby custom one off cue, and carbon shaft of one of the people we shot against had just picked up. The cue was stunning, and totally unlike anything else I had ever seen Jacoby ever make. Another league member came over to look, and asked if we had checked out the carbon shafts at that table I never bothered to look at, as he had purchased one and really liked it. Said they came with, or were going to come with an interchangeable joint thread so that you could use the same shaft on different threaded pins. There was a what looked to be brass insert in the shaft that you just screw out and replace with the correct thread for what you have on the cue that you want to use. Actually seemed quite simple, as it's basically just the face of the joints that keeps everything inline. I did order a Jacoby carbon to try out, but I am sort of regretting not at least having a look at these other shafts while they were there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the new OB carbon fiber shafts have interchangeable inserts? I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure about that.
I've heard that as well. Haven't seen one yet. There is FB video of an OB tech describing how it works. Uses a T-20 torx style wrench to switch inserts.

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are the Bull Carbon Fiber shafts available now at Seyberts. I have the 11.8mm w/ radial joint. Shoots fairly nice. It sounds a little different than my Revos.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are not OB's, they are a small time maker, Could be Bull. I can find out for sure next Wed at our league banquet, when I see him again. I'm sure they have a different sound as we dropped that one, and a Jacoby down on the pool table from about a foot up, and it had a noticeably deader sound. Quite honestly I thought the Jacoby had a neutral sound, not clinky at all, and this shaft seemed deader in sound dropping it on the table. Maybe I'll ask him to try it next week when I see him. On a side note, I can't stop thinking of that Jacoby cue I saw last night, and am going to be talking to them about making one similar. I would love to have the same one made, but couldn't do that to my friend as he was pretty proud of it, and made a point of it being a one of a kind. Even at that, I will ask him first if he would be OK with me ordering something similar.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
OB cf shafts definitely has the interchangeable joints and they come with the wrench on 1st purchase. The different joints are $60 each I believe.

I haven't heard of any other company offering interchangeable yet, but the Bull cf are new and maybe it's them. Have only heard good reviews and they are only $400.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just found out the Spartan shafts have an interchangeable joint. Cuestix sells them and they are supposedly made in the USA, have a lifetime warranty, and are very nice shafts.

norest

Registered
Has anyone had any hands-on experience with the interchangeable joints of OB or Spartan yet?

Billiard Warehouse is another seller of the Spartan shafts. I put their link down below; there is another webpage with a similar name which is out of business yet the web page still exists.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have changed joints on a Spartan but not on an OB. They are very easily changed and cost about $50 for the adapters. The Spartan shafts are a really nice carbon fiber shaft, if that’s your thing.

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are machined well and all of them that I’ve received have been straight and very concentric. Some of their early shafts that didn’t have a brass insert were a lil on the light side but the latest 3/8x10 and radial pins were around 3.5 oz with the 12.25mm size. They come with a lifetime warranty and are manufactured and assembled in the USA.

It skid

They are machined well and all of them that I’ve received have been straight and very concentric. Some of their early shafts that didn’t have a brass insert were a lil on the light side but the latest 3/8x10 and radial pins were around 3.5 oz with the 12.25mm size. They come with a lifetime warranty and are manufactured and assembled in the USA.
Thank you for the information.

Any idea if they are filament wound or wrapped?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I think the new OB carbon fiber shafts have interchangeable inserts? I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure about that.
Yes I personally saw them. Jeremy Jones of ob brought one to the Johnny archer vs Greg hogue match I was commentating on.