Carom Cue Advice Please

bctf1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently own an original Schuler and I love the way it plays. I am looking to get another carom cue. I have been posting in the Wanted/For Sale forum for another original Schuler (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=337884) and have not found exactly what I am looking for (something with style in excellent condition at about 18.5 oz).

I am starting to wonder if I should expand my search to include other carom cue makers like Kilby, Dieckman, Tiger, etc. even though I have not played with anything other than my Schuler.

I would love to hear your opinions on what cues I should be considering and how they might play compared to my Schuler for 3 cushion play.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a kilby and it is a fine hunk-o wood.

Ron is also a fine man to deal with and his prices are very reasonable.

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dealings with Mr. Kilby were excellent. Friendly, reasonable prices and prompt service. I had him make 3c shafts for both my Old Helmstetter CCS carom cue and a custom Diveney pool cue. Excellent work and I play with both cues.

I don't have any experiences with the other cuemakers that are mentioned but have read positive reviews.

For me, a steel joint gives a harder feeling hit than my big pin Helmstetter. That's nothing bad, just someone's personal preference. And the type of tip makes a big difference in the hit/feel that comes down the cue.

I know Predator is making 3c shafts but are not advertised much.

This babbling probably didn't help much but good luck with your cue search.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
After playing with my first Dieckman cue, I sold all of my Schulers. Schuler cues play very well but I find far greater satisfaction owning 1 of a kind cues. Schuler designs tend to be repeated.

I sold about 6 Schuler cues. Over the last 10 years or so, I bought 6 or 7 Dieckmans. Each is a fine player and joy to own. I've visited Dieckman's shop and been impressed with many aspects of his process.

They're more than cues to Dieckman, and that kind of sensitivity toward one's craft impresses me. Try a Dieckman or better still, spend some time talking to the man himself. I'm proud to call him a friend.

bctf1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I very much appreciate all of the replies to this thread. I have great appreciation for the artistry, quality and passion that goes into a Kilby or Dieckman carom cue. The fact is that my 3C game is built around the way that my Original Schuler plays.

I spoke to Ron Kilby, and even though he is a believer in a wood-to-wood joint for 3C, he suggested that it would be a mistake for me to purchase a Kilby (or other wood-to-wood jointed cue for that matter) since my game is based on the way a Schuler plays. His opinion is that it would take weeks and possibly months to be as comfortable with his cue as I am with my Schuler. Needless to say, I am a fan of Ron Kilby and his work. Very few would sacrifice a possible cue sale in order to share his honest opinion. If I wasn't "married to a Schuler", I would buy a Kilby in a heartbeat.

I have decided to stick to "what I know" for a second cue. I will purchase another Schuler to join the one I already have. That way, I should be able to go back and forth between the 2 cues without having to make significant adjustments.