Carom Cue Recommendations?

crazycueman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very interested in getting recommendations on custom carom cue builders and production carom cues. Thus far, I have heard that Dieckman and Kilby are good considerations as custom builders. Any others?

Adams, Longoni, Eurasia and Schuler(by Jacoby?) are production carom cues that have also been mentioned. Which way would you recommend going? Would you recommend a Wood or other type of Joint?

I am a beginner straight rail and 3 cushion player who finds the games extremely challenging and fun. I am told that in order to enjoy the games more I should get a "true" carom cue. I am looking to spend $500 or more for a "keeper". Looking for a great playing cue and not necessarily a cue just to collect. I would appreciate any help...Thank you in advance!

PAIKTOURA

Registered
Here in Greece and i could say in Europe most of 3c players play with Longoni
and Adams. In my opinion you should be in the top level to feel the difference between a good cue and a high quallity cue. I suggest you should go to a local dealer , buy a good cue that feets you and practice as much as you can.It is mostly important to play with good players and watch the right hits. I have a Longoni 5 custom pro (kasidokostas 1) and i am very pleased.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very interested in getting recommendations on custom carom cue builders and production carom cues. Thus far, I have heard that Dieckman and Kilby are good considerations as custom builders. Any others?

Adams, Longoni, Eurasia and Schuler(by Jacoby?) are production carom cues that have also been mentioned. Which way would you recommend going? Would you recommend a Wood or other type of Joint?

I am a beginner straight rail and 3 cushion player who finds the games extremely challenging and fun. I am told that in order to enjoy the games more I should get a "true" carom cue. I am looking to spend $500 or more for a "keeper". Looking for a great playing cue and not necessarily a cue just to collect. I would appreciate any help...Thank you in advance!

There numerous carom cue.
1. Ask a carom player, at the place you play, if you can test hit, with their cue.

2. Look at Schuler, Crown Carom, or either ProfessorQBall Carom Cue. all with metal pin.

3. There are low end wooden pin carom cue on ebay.

4. Just use your pool cue, still you are sure you want to get serious about 3C.

PAIKTOURA

Registered
The Amalfi was my first cue.I believe it was not the right for 3 cushion but it was more then ok.I play to Nikos Polychronopoulos place(number 13 in the world rank) and the learn by watching and playing with good players has more value then anything.Buy a good cue,watch,watch again,practice and love the game.(sorry for my pure english)

Magik Wandzzzzz

Cue Builder Since 1973
Silver Member

You need a serious cue....not some production piece of .........especially if your pool cue was made by pfd.......for that your only options are myself and Mr. Kilby.......and consider that I am an a$$hole and ron is a little nicer, but not much :eek::thumbup: call me at 734-428-1161 if you are serious about a one of a kind cue made by a player.......otherwise caveat empeator.......are you a member of the USBA yet.....if not it is time to join.

Attachments

• 2010 mar JIMBO 9 butt rears.jpg
    2010 mar JIMBO 9 butt rears.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,255

Thierry Layani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom cue overview

I just thought I'd give you a little overview of the higher end carom cues available on the market. As some of you may know, I've dedicated 99% of my cuemaking time in the last 4 years to carom (3 cushion and free games). I have learned the basics of what goes into a good carom cue while working closely with Frederic Caudron, the best all-around carom player in the world (nobody can argue with that!). But in 2008-2009, I decided to spent 1 year in France (I'm from Canada) and travelled to most european countries meeting players, masters and amateurs, to promote my own cues and to see what they played with and what they were looking for in a carom cue. That was a very educating trip. I now have about 12 3-cushion players in the top 100 world ranking playing with my cues and about the same in the free game rankings.
From what I have seen, the higher end cues that are most popular are Longoni, Adams, Layani, Stradivarius, Alcalde. Of course you will find here and there some Schuler but I have to admit the last years have been difficult for them unfortunately, they are harder to find. As for the other great american cuemakers (Dieckman, Kilby) they are hard to find in Europe but then again I haven't visited every club nor every cue dealers (but most of them I must admit).
If you are looking for a good carom cue you can't go wrong with any of them, but as Dieckman said if you want something a little more "special", then you're better off with Kilby, Dieckman or me. I hope that helped.

crazycueman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Dieckman,

Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated! I will strongly consider your comments, expertise as well as your office of President of the USBA. I did speak with you briefly about a spec carom cue that you now have available, but I am maybe thinking of asking you to make me one. I have never thought to buy a cue without seeing or possibly hitting one; especially that is in the price range of what we discussed or possibly more. It is a paradigm shift for me. But as you are the Grand Poobah of the Carom Cue Building World, I may just have to take that leap of faith! I will call and let you know shortly as I am deciding what I want to do.

I have not yet joined the USBA, as I have just heard about it. My local Pool Room has a Verhoeven billiards table, but no organized league play or tournaments. I will look to join. I just looked at the application and it asks for a referral, may I be so bold as to have the President himself be my referral? If so, please let me know and I will expedite my application as soon as possible. Hopefully, I can encourage others where I play to become aware to join the USBA and organize some play.

Thanks again,
Crazycueman

Last edited:

crazycueman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recommendations

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and advice thus far. It is much appreciated!

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Dieckman,

Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated! I will strongly consider your expertise as well as your office of President of the USBA. I did speak with you briefly about a spec carom cue that you now have available, but I am maybe thinking of asking you to make me one. I have never thought to buy a cue without seeing or possibly hitting one; especially that is in the price range of what we discussed or possibly more. It is a paradigm shift for me. But as you are the Grand Poobah of the Carom Cue Building World, I may just have to take that leap of faith! I will call and let you know shortly as I am deciding what I want to do.

I have not yet joined the USBA, as I have just heard about it. My local Pool Room has a Verhoeven billiards table, but no organized league play or tournaments. I will look to join. I just looked at the application and it asks for a referral, may I be so bold as to have the President himself be my referral? If so, please let me know and I will expedite my application as soon as possible. Hopefully, I can encourage others where I play to become aware to join the USBA and organize some play.

Thank again,
Crazycueman
Crazycueman,

Great decision! Your only regret will be that you didn't do this sooner.

I was in the same boat as you when I finally decided to call Dennis. I didn't know what I wanted, EXACTLY. (Dennis is Exacting) I had been playing with a Longoni for about 5 years. It served me well but it was an off the wall production cue. Something was missing? I knew if I talked to a custom guy I could have whatever I wanted. But again that was a problem. Dennis took me by the hand and led me through the decisions. You're in good hands.

That reminds me. Hey Dennis, you said you could FIX my Longoni. Still Wanna do that?

Welcome in advance to the USBA. You must be a good guy as Dennis does not sell cues to just anybody that has the money. Passing the interview and his offer to build you a cue tells me of your love and respect for the game.

Dennis doesn't get on the internet everyday so he may not respond for a while to your request for his referral. Technically he already did refer you although.

Good luck. The building/creation process will be an exciting one.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
carom cues

I fully support the view of our esteemed USBA president, except the part about his being a bit cranky -- he's actually a pussycat -- until you suggest something he's dead-set against. Production cues are made to generate a sale, not to satisfy the desires of an individual customer; custom cuemakers produce their work with two things in mind -- building cues they are personally proud of and that the customer is equally proud of -- a far different, and in my humble opinion far higher, goal.

Magik Wandzzzzz

Cue Builder Since 1973
Silver Member
I fully support the view of our esteemed USBA president, except the part about his being a bit cranky -- he's actually a pussycat -- until you suggest something he's dead-set against. Production cues are made to generate a sale, not to satisfy the desires of an individual customer; custom cuemakers produce their work with two things in mind -- building cues they are personally proud of and that the customer is equally proud of -- a far different, and in my humble opinion far higher, goal.

Well said Ron....I know you are proud of every cue you have ever built otherwise you would have never sent it out.....unlike the ""manufacturers"" who pay the BIG PLAYERS to play with their little pieces of S$%^.

All praise to the sawdust makers:cool:

Magik Wandzzzzz

Cue Builder Since 1973
Silver Member
I just thought I'd give you a little overview of the higher end carom cues available on the market. As some of you may know, I've dedicated 99% of my cuemaking time in the last 4 years to carom (3 cushion and free games). I have learned the basics of what goes into a good carom cue while working closely with Frederic Caudron, the best all-around carom player in the world (nobody can argue with that!). But in 2008-2009, I decided to spent 1 year in France (I'm from Canada) and travelled to most european countries meeting players, masters and amateurs, to promote my own cues and to see what they played with and what they were looking for in a carom cue. That was a very educating trip. I now have about 12 3-cushion players in the top 100 world ranking playing with my cues and about the same in the free game rankings.
From what I have seen, the higher end cues that are most popular are Longoni, Adams, Layani, Stradivarius, Alcalde. Of course you will find here and there some Schuler but I have to admit the last years have been difficult for them unfortunately, they are harder to find. As for the other great american cuemakers (Dieckman, Kilby) they are hard to find in Europe but then again I haven't visited every club nor every cue dealers (but most of them I must admit).
If you are looking for a good carom cue you can't go wrong with any of them, but as Dieckman said if you want something a little more "special", then you're better off with Kilby, Dieckman or me. I hope that helped.

I erred when I just mentioned Kilby and myself....how I could have forgotten about Layani Cues just is a sign I am really getting senile...:confused:

techman

Registered
Yeah, cause its too difficult for poolplayers. What a nice comment.

I suggest Eurasia Double-Joint Cues, cause first they are not so expensive and second they have a lot of "power when needed", if you like to play 3-cushion.

I think the "thread" or "winding" (lol... had to autotranslate the word - you know what I mean - the "screwthing" :) ) is the most important part of a cue, if you go with Layani you can expect a lot of power in your shots even if you play slow, if you go with longoni-wood-thread then the cue does mostly nothing except you force it and if you go with doublejoints (eurasia, adam) you have almost most of the control. At least for me.

Thats when you going to play 3-cushion. For all other i recommend a very simple wood-threaded 480 gram-cue, except Artistique of course.

redcordes

Kilby Cues

Hello, I recently ordered a cue from Ron. He's great to deal with and quick to respond to questions. I went around in circles for a month-- joint type, shaft type and taper, tip type etc. I didn't think I could afford to have him build me one, but I threw him an email, and said I was looking for something around $350 and not concerned with aesthetics--just playability. A few emails later (the same day) he guided me to a tulipwood sneaky pete, full-splice blank from Scmelke he would finish with a 28" 12mm carom taper shaft and a 29" 12.5mm pool shaft both with Talisman tips--cost $375 including shipping. I asked him about segmented shafts and he could supply them but were not necessary with a carom taper shaft--particularly in view of their cost. If you check his website you'll see that the butt and joint diameters are bigger than stock cues. The full-wood joint screw also looks bigger to me than others--which has to help make a more solid-hitting cue. He also uses AAAA vs. AAA maple to make his shafts--I'm no expert, but the shaft and tip seem to be the critical part of the cue. Anyway, having the shafts made, cue finished, assembled and tested by a real craftsman is very, very important in my mind. I can't wait to receive it. By the way, I understand that Mazin is a Tiger cue dealer--but he plays with a Kilby!

Last edited:

csarda1

3 Cushions Addict
Silver Member
I understand that Mazin is a Tiger cue dealer--but he plays with a Kilby!

Mazin plays with everyone and everything

Before he endorsed the tiger new line of carom cues (they just came out),
he distributed and recommended Gabriels cues.
He has also been said to play with Dieckmans and Schulers.

He must have several cues but I can assure you he's now playing with Tiger (under endorsement contract, of course)

As Ceulemans said, a player on that level can play with a broomstick.

I'm not saying Tiger cues are bad.

Actually I'd like to have one badly, I've had a Tiger Pool cue on my hands and the are VERY WELL built. And I'm sure Mazin Shooni (a great player) has been guiding them with the specs, not to mention the pricing is very attractive.
The new Tiger cues look like they were made for the "serious" player since there is nothing fancy on them, they are very "Spartan" cues.

That's exactly what attracts me the most.

(I'd like to clarify that although I take 3 cushion seriously and passionately I'm not a great player, actually far from it).

Maybe I'm wrong (As I told, never tried one) but it looks like the guys at Tiger are more interested in performance than in costly aesthetics that doesn't add nothing to performance.

AND

I'm Not saying that Kilby's cues are bad either, (I've never tried one but heard very good things and they look awesome).

One of my favorite playing cues is one I get here from a great guy called Billiardshot (Thanks a lot) for "Gas Money", I put on it a very hard phenolic ferrule and a Triangle tip. It has a HUGE joint, a pure cone taper, no noticeable deflection and hits like a million bucks.

I've hit some balls with Carlos Hallon's Dieckman cue (his most precious belonging) and it hits very good, but I think most of the "liking" of a cue is very subjective (to a certain point) and is also a matter of personal preferences.

I know a 3 cushion expert player here in South Florida who can't play with nothing but a Predator cue.

YES, a Predator cue and I'm talking about an expert player.

Last edited:

crazycueman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great input on Carom Cues!

I very much appreciate everyone's input on carom cue recommendations. For those of us just learning the games of billiards, it really helps to get some much needed information on the particulars of the carom cue and why we need the right kind of equipment to enjoy and play the game better. There is a lot to the game and having and using the "right" kind of carom cue seems to make some difference. Keep the input coming!

Thank you,
Crazycueman

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
Mr. Dieckman,

Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated! I will strongly consider your comments, expertise as well as your office of President of the USBA. I did speak with you briefly about a spec carom cue that you now have available, but I am maybe thinking of asking you to make me one. I have never thought to buy a cue without seeing or possibly hitting one; especially that is in the price range of what we discussed or possibly more. It is a paradigm shift for me. But as you are the Grand Poobah of the Carom Cue Building World, I may just have to take that leap of faith! I will call and let you know shortly as I am deciding what I want to do.

Thanks again,
Crazycueman

I'm guessing your room is the AC Billiard Club run by Ernie? If you do end up getting that, I'll be out there in June for a 14.1 tournament, maybe we can hook up a game of 3C and I can check out your new cue :D

I'm debating what kind of billiard cue to get now. I'm a tall guy so I would like it a little longer than standard. currently I'm just shooting with a Gabriels cue which hasn't given me many problems, but would like to upgrade. I'm also thinking about a plunge