Cell phone junkies

CaptainBly

Registered
Ive seen it happen to me directly at the Expo Amateur Open. My opponent spoke another language and was being coached by a few friends of his. I had no idea what was being said. A ref that spoke the language happened to walk by (or suspected it as it probably happened with this group before) and told them to stop.
Happens at the expo all the time. I have even had them yell during shots. They think because they are speaking spanish that no one understands what they are doing. Very Very common there.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No CELL answer or tex check during matches at all events the way it should be! Not professionally a respect to you or the opponent with ones face stuck on the devise!

Flakeandrun

No CELL answer or tex check during matches at all events the way it should be! Not professionally a respect to you or the opponent with ones face stuck on the devise!
I think checking at the end of a rack or set is acceptable. When the match is in play, no way.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
no active cell phone use during an important game just like no person standing next to you talking to you throughout the game.
some things just make sense.

thats why i just gamble. if i dont like what my opponent is doing i can tell him to stop it or i quit. or i can put up with it. my choice.

if i was in a tournament and my opponent was abusing something that affected me i would just sit down and not shoot until its resolved.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
It blows my mind to see how much someone sitting in their chair being quiet looking at a phone and not looking at them really bothers some people.

If my opponent isnt holding up the match and is sitting there quietly I dont give a fuck what they are doing. Enjoy the phone.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It blows my mind to see how much someone sitting in their chair being quiet looking at a phone and not looking at them really bothers some people.

If my opponent isnt holding up the match and is sitting there quietly I dont give a fuck what they are doing. Enjoy the phone.
An opponent in a non-refereed match who isn’t paying attention to the shooter’s play, is neglecting his duty. The fact that it doesn’t bother, don’t make it right. Some players don’t care if their opponent cheats either, as long as they continue to win. Personally, money/glory isn’t as rewarding to me as the experience of proper/classic competition between honorable sportsmen.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This addiction/phenomenon, or whatever it’s defined as is quite frustrating in all facets of life. If one of my coworkers shows me another stupid meme off his phone while I’m busy mounting an engine inlet I’m going to kill him.

As far as playing pool goes I’m easy, if you want to play on your phone quietly while I run the table that’s fine, just don’t show me a stupid meme off of FB. Lol

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

What about the time you point to your desired pocket and your opponent on his cell phone doesn't see you because his face was buried in his phone and he then calls a foul on you??

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i play according to the honor ability of my opponent. if he doesn't call fouls on himself for example i wont on me.

i wont put my values on someone else, but wont like what i see in them. but will react to them appropriately in the situations that arise.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
What about the time you point to your desired pocket and your opponent on his cell phone doesn't see you because his face was buried in his phone and he then calls a foul on you??
Same as calling a push. Make sure they acknowledge your call/gesture.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
An opponent in a non-refereed match who isn’t paying attention to the shooter’s play, is neglecting his duty. The fact that it doesn’t bother, don’t make it right. Some players don’t care if their opponent cheats either, as long as they continue to win. Personally, money/glory isn’t as rewarding to me as the experience of proper/classic competition between honorable sportsmen.
It's not his duty to watch... but it is to his benefit. Fouls could be missed.

I don't are if my opponent wants to watch or not, as long he is sitting in the chair and quiet.

To take it a bit further, I've seen pros sit in the chair and stare off into space instead of watching their opponent play. Is that ok or is it only when a phone is in their hand?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Same as calling a push. Make sure they acknowledge your call/gesture.
I should not have to get my opponents attention, if he is playing the game he should be watching.
To take it a bit further, I've seen pros sit in the chair and stare off into space instead of watching their opponent play. Is that ok or is it only when a phone is in their hand?
I highly doubt you will find pros not paying attention to every shot by their opponent unless there is a ref watching.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
I should not have to get my opponents attention, if he is playing the game he should be watching.
If he isnt watching he has no grounds to say you did something wrong.

I think the best solution is, if you dont like what your opponent does in the seat, don't play him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Played 2 different younger players last week, both spent the whole of the matches glued to their phones while I was shooting, is this now the norm?
It's the norm for young people worldwide! Their heads are buried in a little box. Kind of like an ostrich with his head buried in the sand. The world can be happening all around them and they would never know it! AI has it's grip on them already.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
It's the norm for young people worldwide! Their heads are buried in a little box. Kind of like an ostrich with his head buried in the sand. The world can be happening all around them and they would never know it! AI has it's grip on them already.
Not just young, but young, young -- I see parents giving their phones to toddler to play games. Also toddlers demanding their parent's phones. Could not believe what I was seeing,

Flakeandrun

It's not his duty to watch... but it is to his benefit. Fouls could be missed.

I don't are if my opponent wants to watch or not, as long he is sitting in the chair and quiet.

I'm going to do a Ronnie and sit with a towel on my head...
I actually used to hate watching when it's not my turn, especially when the tables getting swept clean. Now I'm the other side of that. Just watch the patterns. Stare intently down the line when shooting at the pocket I'm sat behind 🤣 about as much sharking as you'll see from my end