Chalk Transfer Photos

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Let's say I do not have what you mentioned above, what's the easier method to make the hole bigger?

Damn this sounds kinky. :embarrassed2:

Find a cheap bit like this in the size you want....

http://www.amazon.com/Style-Shape-C...UTF8&qid=1404248352&sr=1-2&keywords=burr+ball

The chalk is soft enough that you can use the bit by hand... I have been free handing ours while I tweak the station that will sand and bore in 1 Step... Is a messy deal when done in volume and I have to figure out how to attach a vacuum hose to the cage or the better half is going to throw me into the street for turning part of the basement into a winter wonderland.....

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
Find a cheap bit like this in the size you want....

http://www.amazon.com/Style-Shape-C...UTF8&qid=1404248352&sr=1-2&keywords=burr+ball

The chalk is soft enough that you can use the bit by hand... I have been free handing ours while I tweak the station that will sand and bore in 1 Step... Is a messy deal when done in volume and I have to figure out how to attach a vacuum hose to the cage or the better half is going to throw me into the street for turning part of the basement into a winter wonderland.....

Arh I have this. Shall try it later. Thanks.

yelvis111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not for nothing Chris, but you've got WAAAAAAAAAY too much Kamui chalk on that tip. It's a whole different movement compared to typical chalk. You're not rubbing or grinding it onto the tip as much as your gently brushing it on.

In any case, I like that you made your chalk white. It'll make the shaft and ferrule look much cleaner. I'm a big fan of your products (multiple purchases of your Accu-racks and I'm currently playing with a Ki-Tech medium) so I can't wait to try the new chalk.

Taek

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There is still no science behind your reasoning. The varying degrees of foreign matter on the balls would be harder to adjust to than knowing you had completely clean pool balls every time you play which would, in effect, be easier to adjust and get used to. Fairly simple logic. Sounds more like excuses from those players in days past.

Funny thing about those players from a hundred years ago...
....I was talking to a man who just played in the Qatar world 9-ball...
...he was complaining bitterly about the slippery new balls.

I can't go into the science of these ball effects...but knowledge of it is
empirical....but it is knowledge nevertheless.

To clarify my position, when I play, I want CLEAN balls....
...no polish or wax....and if new balls would remain new balls, we could
all learn to deal with them....but they don't retain that sleek new finish,
it's the changing of that condition is the problem.

x3dnd3x

Trainee Chalk Collector
Silver Member
I was able to make the hole with the tool bit as recommended but seems like the bit I had was a little small. Shall search my father's toolbox to find a larger one. Not sure if he has it though.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Not for nothing Chris, but you've got WAAAAAAAAAY too much Kamui chalk on that tip. It's a whole different movement compared to typical chalk. You're not rubbing or grinding it onto the tip as much as your gently brushing it on.

In any case, I like that you made your chalk white. It'll make the shaft and ferrule look much cleaner. I'm a big fan of your products (multiple purchases of your Accu-racks and I'm currently playing with a Ki-Tech medium) so I can't wait to try the new chalk.

Taek

Missed this one Taek =)

I pretty much loaded the tip with all of the chalks pictured... Based on the carriers and micron sizes some chalks will always go on thicker... I really don't like the idea of having to consciously not get too much chalk on the tip... I brushed them all until the tip quit accepting chalk... I think that is likely the normal approach but I am open to other ideas... As was noted I am still missing the 1.21 version of Kamui and I am missing the Balabushka.... I have looked high and low for both and may have to order more to finish the pictorial.....

JayKidd

Grammatically Challenged
Silver Member
Chris, I am doing a little experiment to satisify my own curiosity. Would you please share the method with which you prepare the chalk samples for microscopic inspections?

I tried to collect chalk dust and put them on glass slides, but they weren't very even.

The other question, how do you compare different component distribution across different samples using microscope?

Apparenty the Balabushka and Kamui 1.21 are MIA... I have had them both under the microscope in the last few weeks but they eluded me when I packed up to head to the pool room... Will look for them before I go out one evening this week and get some transfer shots of them.....

Chris

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question is does the amount of chalk on the ball effect the relationship of the tip to cue ball, and the action it makes?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Chris, I am doing a little experiment to satisify my own curiosity. Would you please share the method with which you prepare the chalk samples for microscopic inspections?

I tried to collect chalk dust and put them on glass slides, but they weren't very even.

The other question, how do you compare different component distribution across different samples using microscope?

The best approach I found was just a bandsaw and sanding disc.... I would cut a flat surface and check the area from edge to edge for consistency of abrasives.. I would then sand off a few thousandths and check again. The only one I couldn't do that with was the Magic chalk since I only had one used cube of it.. In most cases even tho the abrasives are dyed in the process they will either refract light or the abrasives will be darker... For my purposes this was enough as I was attempting to only identify the micron size and amount of abrasives in each brand. To do so only required me to use 100x magnification...

If I wanted to go further I would likely cut 1mm sections and then use water too make a thin paste on slides and wait for it to dry... 1mm might be too much material per slide tho as you will want the paste thin enough for light to luminess thru... None of the fillers or abrasives will be water soluable but the binder may be. You should be able to identify the binders based upon it clumping together in areas on the slide.... This would allow you to get an idea of the size/amount of fillers in addition to the ratio/size of abrasives but this was where rubber met the road as I was using my own binders and have no real idea what anyone else is using so I had to experiment to get the ratios right based on my chemical choices......

I am sure you were looking for something more high tech but I was interested in percentages and sizes.. Not in actually identifying chemical compositions since I was not trying to recreate any of the competing chalks....

Chris

Feel free to give me a call anytime between 6pm and 11 eastern and we can chew the fat and I can tell you what I know from research which may keep you from digging up the same bones..... 865... 803---- 7558

Last edited:

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So while in Vegas at the BCA event this summer... I heard over in PA system no less than 15 times (over 3-4 days) this statement..

"This is a BLUE CHALK only event..."

So either they were addressing a hand chalk issue on the new Simonis cloth or the other chalk manufactures now buying your 'white chalk' out of the larger events... fyi

R

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool rooms and I am sure tourneys Prefer that the chalk you use is the sane color as the cloth.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The "Great White" has no dyes whatsoever in it.... It does not stain any color cloth which is why the rule is in place... Thanks for the heads up... I will be contacting Bad Boyz... CSI and Diamond and sending out samples so they can confirm and get us on the approved list... I have tested extensively on Simonis Tournament Blue and the white is flat out cleaner on the cloth, your hands, and your cue...

Production molds will be done on Thursday next week so we should be in production by the Open next month.... I ended up having to go another route after waiting on a favor for over 2 months... Wish I had not accepted the favor to start with and we would have already been rolling for 6 weeks....

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Chris, aren't the photos of the side by side chalk transfer a little misleading? You hit the ball first with the other chalks and made the transfer. You then hit the same ball with your chalk and made another transfer. In between you lost some chalk from the first transfer because the ball was rolling more on the cloth. I was just wondering. I do want some of your chalk too.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Chris, aren't the photos of the side by side chalk transfer a little misleading? You hit the ball first with the other chalks and made the transfer. You then hit the same ball with your chalk and made another transfer. In between you lost some chalk from the first transfer because the ball was rolling more on the cloth. I was just wondering. I do want some of your chalk too.

Allen there were some instances where I had to do the side by side more than one time because the chalk would get wiped off by the friction of the cloth or my hand when I caught it..

I started out with the single transfers and repeated them until I had enough samples to throw out the ones where friction had removed some chalk as it 3 railed around for me to catch it.. I tried going up and down the table with a tip of top and you can guess what happened LOL... 3 rails with a tip of running seemed to minimize chances for a wipe off and it seemed that I was more likely to wipe it off when I caught it...

When I did the doubles I did the colored chalks first and then the "Great White" and did my best to check that the transfers looked clean... Looking at the singles and doubles the transfer patches look fairly close.. I do note that the single on the predator may have had some wipeoff now that I look closer at it and the top section of the transfer is smudged....

This is not a very scientific approach but it accomplished what I was trying to do which was show pretty much all chalk is going to make some mess.. We all already knew the Kamui was going to be the worst and I had people asking how bad our chalk was going to be if it was cosmetic grade like the Kamui.....

Chris