Challenge of Champions

What?

I'm glad to hear Buddy Hall's name cleared about the 1991 Challenge of Champions. Many of us tried to tell people how much pressure there was and that any shot could be missed.

Just because a champion player misses an easy shot doesn't mean they did it on purpose - I did it on my last shot of a tournament last night....I only missed one shot the entire match and after that, broke dry and didn't get back to the table.

It would be interesting to compare the shots you mentioned with the one that Buddy missed to see which shot was easiest. Does anyone have that ability at this time?

Cj... Was there any parimutuel wagering at this event like there was in 1991?

It has nothing to do with the shots being missed in either event. One group of players (1991) had a reason to miss.

We all make mistakes under pressure and PRO's are not immune to this.

But if your comparing this event to the 1991 event your dead wrong.
 
Just watched it on my DVR. Very entertaining set. There was some really good shot making by Thorsten in both sets, but particularly in his match with Orcullo. We talk a lot about luck and the strange format, but at least to me it looked like the player who was playing the best at that time won the event.
 
Last edited:
It was a fix plain and simple. The weakest player won.

I wonder if the line in England or Europe had any part in it


These pool players are way too sharp. Except for making it look good.
 
Considering all the talk about call shot rules, we should keep in mind what happened when Daz missed the relatively easy 9 while being on the hill in the first set. The 9 ended being pocketed in an unintended pocket. Because CofC is call 9, the 9 ball was spotted and Thorsten drilled it in, eventually winning the set and the tournament.

If they played using TE rules, then Daz would have won the first set after fluking in the 9, and he would have most likely won the tournament.

So this is a concrete example why call the 9 is a good idea, IMO.
 
I have to disagree with you CJ

I'm glad to hear Buddy Hall's name cleared about the 1991 Challenge of Champions. Many of us tried to tell people how much pressure there was and that any shot could be missed.

Just because a champion player misses an easy shot doesn't mean they did it on purpose - I did it on my last shot of a tournament last night....I only missed one shot the entire match and after that, broke dry and didn't get back to the table.

It would be interesting to compare the shots you mentioned with the one that Buddy missed to see which shot was easiest. Does anyone have that ability at this time?

I was not aware that Buddy's name had been "cleared" regarding that 1991 fiasco...I have to say, C.J., that I admire the fact that you are willing to back a fellow professional on what people say he did, but I doubt I will ever be convinced that Buddy missed those shots on the level; when I first saw what he did, I actually laughed out loud.....it was so ludicrous to see.....
 
jumping up act

I was not aware that Buddy's name had been "cleared" regarding that 1991 fiasco...I have to say, C.J., that I admire the fact that you are willing to back a fellow professional on what people say he did, but I doubt I will ever be convinced that Buddy missed those shots on the level; when I first saw what he did, I actually laughed out loud.....it was so ludicrous to see.....

I just went back and looked at that last shot Buddy took at that simple (and I mean SIMPLE as in EASY) combination 8-9; he takes a little time to aim, hits the 8 ball on the WRONG SIDE, at the same time, jumping up in a way that had to be the lousiest acting job ever seen. I repeat.......... ludicrous.
 
Of course I'm not suggesting anything other than .........

I'm glad you laughed out loud, that was my intention. :thumbup: Of course I'm not suggesting anything other than "it's possible to miss any shot or position playing for 50k on a table that's less than perfect under the TV lights and conditions."




I was not aware that Buddy's name had been "cleared" regarding that 1991 fiasco...I have to say, C.J., that I admire the fact that you are willing to back a fellow professional on what people say he did, but I doubt I will ever be convinced that Buddy missed those shots on the level; when I first saw what he did, I actually laughed out loud.....it was so ludicrous to see.....
 
Yes, they had the lines up at the Mirage that year.

Yes, they had the lines up at the Mirage that year. I didn't bet on myself (I never do in tournaments), however, if I wanted to, the line was 7/2 against the field. Johnny Archer beat me, I think he was 3/1 or 5/2 if memory serves me correctly.


Cj... Was there any parimutuel wagering at this event like there was in 1991?

It has nothing to do with the shots being missed in either event. One group of players (1991) had a reason to miss.

We all make mistakes under pressure and PRO's are not immune to this.

But if your comparing this event to the 1991 event your dead wrong.
 
Back
Top