Changing profile on Gold Crown 1 cushions

pt109

Pagulayan chalk and clothing
Silver Member
I'd like to change the rubber on a Gold Crown 1 from k-55 to K-66...
Any downsides to this?
 
I'd like to change the rubber on a Gold Crown 1 from k-55 to K-66...
Any downsides to this?

Welcome to Pandora's box

Simple answer:
The profile of the k55 is not exactly the same as that of the k66 (primarily nose height) which means that your rails will need to be modified slightly for the k66 to be installed properly.

Not the end of the world but also not a simple cushion swap.

This subject has bred some contention amongst certain mechanix in the past, hence the Pandora comment. Speak with Mark Gregory or Jerimy Chambers for a full explanation.
 
That said, imo you would probably be happier with the k66.

But that's just me.

You might want to check your nose heights now to see if they are right to begn with.
 
That said, imo you would probably be happier with the k66.

But that's just me.

You might want to check your nose heights now to see if they are right to begn with.

Thanx, Mr Bond.
I want to change a GC to Artemis.....I loved it on a Gabriels.
....and I can get a deal on k-66.

I don't trust the Super Speed rubber any more....it plays like cheap cushions.
The rubber was changed not too long ago, and it's already sick and tired of being hit.
 
Is there a such thing as a simple cushion swap for the GC1? I have a GC1 myself and have been interested in possibly getting cushions updated. I would want the best quality rubber I can.
 
That said, imo you would probably be happier with the k66.

But that's just me.

You might want to check your nose heights now to see if they are right to begn with.

He won't when that subrail's top has to be sanded down to lower it.
The formica on the rail will scratch the cue b/c it'll likely be exposed.
I've been there.
Gold Crown I did not have K55. It had the Monarch Cushions.
Not exactly K55 but a lot closer to K55 than K66.

Hire a real mechanic and have Superspeed or any good K55 installed after re-profiling that sub-rail.
 
Is there a such thing as a simple cushion swap for the GC1? I have a GC1 myself and have been interested in possibly getting cushions updated. I would want the best quality rubber I can.

Unfortunately the cushion originally installed on the gc I is no longer made.
Go figure.
 
Thanx for all the replies....got some serious thinking to do.
 
Unfortunately the cushion originally installed on the gc I is no longer made.
Go figure.

How about the original profiles on the Centenial and Anniversary?? I have a 1939 Moderne which seems to be the forerunner to those two as the rails appear to be almost identical... I keep wondering which way to go on rubber... I have new Diamond slates and will have to change the anchors in my rails so that there are 4 and they line up but that's an easy task... The hard task is closing the pockets down from 5" to 4 and 3/8th" And getting the right cushion profile on the table for it to bank properly.......

Sadly in Knoxville I doubt we have anyone even close that can do work like this so I keep putting the project off hoping for a miracle... I do keep and eye on the Artemis Intercontinental K55 thinking thats which direction I will need to go......

Chris
 
Back
Top