Charles C. Peterson's challenge

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards Magazine had an article in the '20s or early '30s showing a photo of a pair of scissors. They were engraved with Charlie Peterson's slogan: "Show me a billiard shot I can't make" - and the article explained why. Peterson had sent pairs of these engraved scissors to major newspapers and magazines, with the idea that anyone spotting an interesting billiard shot should cut out the shot diagram and send it to Peterson so he could prove he could shoot any shot known. I kept my eyes out figuring if they showed up on ebay that nobody would know why scissors were listed in billiards. Well, 20 years later a pair showed up and nobody else bid. Interesting artifact seemed cheap at $25, until I figured up my time looking for 20 years! Here they are:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335988529&icep_item=174545425613

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well done sir. I enjoyed the story, but you need to post some picts, the don't show on the link. NVM, got it!

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice find. Piece of billiard history. I remember seeing his saying popping up during my reading of old stuff.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Billiards Magazine had an article in the '20s or early '30s showing a photo of a pair of scissors. They were engraved with Charlie Peterson's slogan: "Show me a billiard shot I can't make" - and the article explained why. Peterson had sent pairs of these engraved scissors to major newspapers and magazines, with the idea that anyone spotting an interesting billiard shot should cut out the shot diagram and send it to Peterson so he could prove he could shoot any shot known. I kept my eyes out figuring if they showed up on ebay that nobody would know why scissors were listed in billiards. Well, 20 years later a pair showed up and nobody else bid. Interesting artifact seemed cheap at $25, until I figured up my time looking for 20 years! Here they are:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335988529&icep_item=174545425613
Neat, you should post this in the history section for prosperity. This is a really cool find.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is pretty cool. I came across a cue that Peterson gifted to a friend. Ebony 26 1/2 2 piece. I didn't know who he was when I bought the cue. A pair of these scissors would be nice to couple with the cue. The guy he gifted the cue to was also in the movie industry. I am hoping that I can figure out if he was affiliated with the 3 trick shot movie shorts Peterson made back then. The cue is dated 1925.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw Charlie do one of his last exhibitions in Detroit in the early 60's. He was in his 80's then and still making a lot of very cool shots.