Chess Clocks in Tournaments?

tomatoshooter

Chess clock could work for pool. My idea is start everyone off with 2 minutes, and every shot adds 30 seconds. Whatever you don't use is added back to the clock.
I really like this idea! In the current system, I don't like that I can bang in 3 shots in under a minute but I will be penalized for slow play if I take too long on the fourth ball. With the initial 2 minutes, I don't think banking time for the next rack is necessary.

Some matches will not activate a shot clock until the match is running behind schedule, I think that's a pretty good system, although it could be gamed. I could intentionally play slow to activate the shot clock if I know you don't like it. The chess clock solves that.

SlateMan

Registered
Perhaps we lose momentum calling it a "Chess Clock" perhaps we can come up with something that sounds like it was invented for pool but really was not.

Adaptive Shot Clock System

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Talking to a friend recently who brought this up. He reads here but rarely posts I'm thinking but.....Chess clocks.

Is there a place for the use of the chess clocks in Pool?
I believe if there’s going to be timekeeping it needs to be done/sponsored by Rolex, Tag Heuer, or Omega.

Every single pool organization needs 1 marketing rep on the phones to these corporations continuously!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I believe if there’s going to be timekeeping it needs to be done/sponsored by Rolex, Tag Heuer, or Omega.

Every single pool organization needs 1 marketing rep on the phones to these corporations continuously!

Your dreaming about Rolex etc., sponsoring Pool.

Golfer Pro & Amateurs are their target market, there people have money to buy their product.

Sadly most Pool player do not have an American Express Black Card, only know of one forum member who is in that position.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your dreaming about Rolex etc., sponsoring Pool.
POOL IS GLOBAL!!

Matchroom events are aired in over 150 countries around the globe.
That’s a lot of eyeballs.
Golfer Pro & Amateurs are their target market, there people have money to buy their product.
So?
Pool is Virgin territory.
Golf is on its decline.
Pool is on the rise.
Sadly most Pool player do not have an American Express Black Card, only know of one forum member who is in that position.
Pool players do not need to have an Amex Blk card for sponsors to understand getting in on the ground floor of our sport and expanding their reach globally.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I get this. The player that runs out of his 2 minutes because he consistently is slower than normal would lose that rack by default
more especially if it were a longer race but I'd like to see this done. Is there a function to allow it to add 30 seconds each time?
With an app, it's easy to add this feature. IDK about physical chess clocks.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would be a fan of having a small time bank for when I needed it with an increment. Whether surplusses be added to the time bank or not is open, both could work.

What about this though: What if both players started off with 10 minutes each, and had 30 seconds per shot, but whatever time they didn't use of that 30 seconds CAME OFF THEIR OPPONENTS CLOCK?!? You could speed up a bit to run their time down, but if you miss then they get to turn the tables.

I'm kidding of course. It would be fun for an exhibition though. Just like my idea of two players playing straight pool on adjacent tables, and every time someone cleared their rack the ref would dump 15 more balls on the opponents table. Tetris battle style...

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

I get it completely. I really do.

Pool is a tough customer to deal with. If it's not perfect, it's just terrible to watch but here in US its not even that.

Look at Europe vs. the US right now, what do you see?

The US amateur ranks are almost completely the pool league system which really doesn't care what happens in pool
professionally vs. Europe where I'm told has more billiard clubs.

Children can go into Billiard Clubs. That no longer happens on any large scale in the US.
Our feeder program is a different demographic entirely.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How to take [chess clock timing for pool] to the streaming screen? I'd like to see this done one time.
It's already done for streamed chess matches, but those are supported by large, well-staffed sites. I imagine it would be a fairly simple app to write. You would want the pool app display to include time remaining for each player, time for the current shot, score, fouls, Fargo Rate (and match probabilities), ...

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking to a friend recently who brought this up. He reads here but rarely posts I'm thinking but.....Chess clocks.

Is there a place for the use of the chess clocks in Pool?
Forget the chess type. Each player has a clicker that operates a visible clock. A clicker on a wrist band.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The chess clock has the great benefit of forcing the guy who just missed to go back to his seat to flip the clock. That alone is worth the price of admission.
Could the onlookers discern any time problems with a chess clock? And running back to the clock after a 3 hr match. Young guys would like it.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The chess clock has the great benefit of forcing the guy who just missed to go back to his seat to flip the clock. That alone is worth the price of admission.

We had a chess clubs when my son was in school. I need to dig those clocks out and work with the timing functions. You might be right about
it stirring new interest.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could the onlookers discern any time problems with a chess clock? And running back to the clock after a 3 hr match. Young guys would like it.
As I mentioned in my long post, no one ever ran out of time. The constantly ticking reminder -- well, it doesn't actually tick -- was enough to speed things up. No running.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
It's already done for streamed chess matches, but those are supported by large, well-staffed sites. I imagine it would be a fairly simple app to write. You would want the pool app display to include time remaining for each player, time for the current shot, score, fouls, Fargo Rate (and match probabilities), ...

If I'm right on this a professionally written app is about 25k. Does this sound right?

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I'd see smashed clock pieces all over the floor after missed shots.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
In the near doz. leagues I've been in I've suggested shot clocks, none wanted it.
There's several players who either slow play to freeze or Ps'off their opponents.
Others stretch time waiting for team mates to show up.
Most times games run smoothly but those few who dawdle, I've suggested calling TIME when needed then a 20-30 second clock with a 5 sec. warning, is started for that game only. Still none wanted shot clocks.

Last edited: