Chess Vs. Billiards

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it interesting that some one-pocket enthusiasts think straight pool is too slow. They are obviously terrified of being stuck in the chair for so long (?).

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The problem with chess is you can study a game by reading coordinates.

For billiards people need to actually see how it looks and record it.

If chess can be simplified but not billiards its clear billiards is more challenging to talk about, to play and to write about.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with chess is you can study a game by reading coordinates.

For billiards people need to actually see how it looks and record it.

If chess can be simplified but not billiards its clear billiards is more challenging to talk about, to play and to write about.
Do you play chess?

justnum

Silver Member
Do you play chess?

Yes Im unranked and Ive dated a Womens International Master chess player. She introduced me to the Grand Marshall Chess club. Why chess players pay more in fees than pool players is crazy? Speed chess for the young is full of errors and officiating is worse than billiards. Chess is mostly played sitting down.

I prefer billiards its built on a design principle that supports mathematical thought at cosmic level. Billiards is played standing up.

Chess is the ground game like wrestling. Billiards is an upright game like combat striking systems.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Im unranked and Ive dated a Womens International Master chess player. She introduced me to the Grand Marshall Chess club. Why chess players pay more in fees than pool players is crazy? Speed chess for the young is full of errors and officiating is worse than billiards. Chess is mostly played sitting down.

I prefer billiards its built on a design principle that supports mathematical thought at cosmic level. Billiards is played standing up.

Chess is the ground game like wrestling. Billiards is an upright game like combat striking systems.
thanx for all that extra info. just wanted to know if you like to play.

look me up if you want to play on chess.com; same username without the space. i'm a below average player.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chess is more mentally challenging and it's not even close. 8 and 9 ball really use the same algorithm over and over again. So once you know how to run the program, it takes the strenuous thinking out of play, just leaving the unique patterns in need of brain power. One pocket requires more unique thought, but you can often times get away with shooting the 5th or 6th best shot on the table.

Chess is all computation and memorization so they're just in different leagues.

justnum

Silver Member
A simple algorithm is the beauty of the universe. Complex routines like chess is similar to listening to a liar explain their way out of the truth.

Chess unravels like a cheating spouse after being caught. Pool enforces the belief that every shot though familiar is a new shot.

Chess is the junkie addict that finds a way to stay addicted. Pool is the parent that treats everyday like a new one, with a chance for hope.