childs cue

bob bell

Registered
Hello to every one. My name is Bob Bell, I have lurked here for a long time but posted little. Now I have a question. I know this has been discussed before but I tried a search and had no luck.

I have a seven year old friend who has been coming to my house for several years he loves to roll the balls on the table, I think he is big enough to play with a cue now. That is my where
my question comes in.

I have found several cues online that look pretty good. McDermott, Players, Action. I'm confused about the specs. Tips range from 11 to 13. Weight 16 or 18 with some much less. The lengths range from 42" to 52". Has anyone had experience, that you would be willing to share, with beginning players around this age.

Bob Bell

Last edited:

JSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

Bob since he is 7 yrs old, I'd set him up with a 19-19.5 oz cue with a 12.5 - 13 mm shaft. Any of the cues you mentioned will be fine, just hit a few and pick one that hits solid and he can keep shooting as he grows. JSS

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Hello to every one. My name is Bob Bell, I have lurked here for a long time but posted little. Now I have a question. I know this has been discussed before but I tried a search and had no luck.

I have a seven year old friend who has been coming to my house for several years he loves to roll the balls on the table, I think he is big enough to play with a cue now. That is my where
my question comes in.

I have found several cues online that look pretty good. McDermott, Players, Action. I'm confused about the specs. Tips range from 11 to 13. Weight 16 or 18 with some much less. Has anyone had experience, that you would be willing to share, with beginning players around this age.

Bob Bell

My daughter is 20 years old now and I bought her a Players kid cue when she was a child. The cue was passed to my son who is now 12 . I recently bought him a McDermott
standard size cue. The Players cue is still excellent. You can't go wrong with it.
FWIW the cue has always been leaned against the wall it's entire life and is straight as an arrow

Bankit

Registered
Hi Bob, I recently purchased a McDermott Pool Prodigy 42" cue for my neighbors 10 year old daughter. Both the lil girl and I agree this is to small a cue for her.
It looks and feels like a jump cue, the butt is about 1" to 1-1/4 thick and is way to small. Cue looks great but imo is not a good cue for a 10 yr old, maybe younger and smaller it would be fine. Cost isnt much so for a 5-6 yr old beginner it might be good for teaching things like bridge hand positions and maybe some stroke shots. Overall it may be ok for some but not good for us. We are going to get her a 18oz Players this week, she can choke up a lil for awhile, but will be able to use it 3-4 or more years from now. Hope you can find one for the lil guy, its great to teach them when they are this young. Keep up the good work and good luck to you both.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Hi Bob, I recently purchased a McDermott Pool Prodigy 42" cue for my neighbors 10 year old daughter. Both the lil girl and I agree this is to small a cue for her.
It looks and feels like a jump cue, the butt is about 1" to 1-1/4 thick and is way to small. Cue looks great but imo is not a good cue for a 10 yr old, maybe younger and smaller it would be fine. Cost isnt much so for a 5-6 yr old beginner it might be good for teaching things like bridge hand positions and maybe some stroke shots. Overall it may be ok for some but not good for us. We are going to get her a 18oz Players this week, she can choke up a lil for awhile, but will be able to use it 3-4 or more years from now. Hope you can find one for the lil guy, its great to teach them when they are this young. Keep up the good work and good luck to you both.

The cue I was referring to has a normal diameter shaft and we now use it tight places and as a spare. Performs as good as any other cue. Only difference is its shorter

holland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought a McDermott Pool Prodigy 48" for my 9yo son. It fits him well. The smaller diameter shaft is good, though it tapers up too quickly. It is an 11mm tip, and the tip is too soft. I immediately replaced it with a triangle. It's kind of like a carom cue, I guess. 13mm width is too wide, and I wanted to avoid paying for shaft work, so that took off the other cues from my list.

The McDermott I initially bought had problems and I had to send it back to McDermott to replace. The replacement is dead straight and solid. The only thing I don't like about the McDermott is the wrap. It's not pressed, so it's fuzzy and feels odd. I ironed it as best as I could and put some wax on it. It feels better, but still not like my other cues.

JC

Coos Cues
Buy a $15 bar cue or take one off of your rack and cut 8 inches off the butt. He needs to learn fundamentals right now and that's all. I didn't have a cue as nice as the ones you are talking about buying until I had a job for quite a few years.

JC

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a kids cue laying around somewhere. If you want it PM me your address and I'll send it to you. I'm not at home now but I can check the specs when I get home.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a jump break cue for my 8 year old and put a playing shaft on the handle portion. the total length is 46". when he gets a bit bigger i'll add the forearm portion so the cue will be a normal 58"

Last edited: