Chinese 8 Ball World Championship March 13-20

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
congrats to shi

he played some positional precision from hell, on some racks he had a series of those shots

I dislike his style though and felt a lack of sportsmanship near the end, the slow play and ball cleaning was a joke

i think he wore out hill, but I'd take Hill in a rematch in a heartbeat, better shot, seemed to struggle far less with deciison making, Shi is a speciliast and hill is much newer to the discipline

I'd just view his deliberately illegal breaks as a strategic choice, just like intentional fouls or even playing safe instead of taking a hard shot. Hill probably had an option other than taking the break himself. Incidentally, Hill broke dry in both of those games but still won both of them.

As for the frequent CB cleaning, yes, it slowed things down. But I don't think the shot clock was stopped for it, so it consumed some of his 45 seconds each time.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for stats, AtLarge
Little to separate both of them from the stats
I think it is high time that they bring in win by 2 racks rule for big tournaments. Maybe play to maximum of another 5 racks to find a winner by 2 racks. If still no winner do like previous World Team championships (I think now defunct ) , shootout- CB in centre of kitchen and OB where the spot is :D

Win by 2 is a nice rule, creates even more drama.

The Chinese are doing it right. Biggest sponsor is an elevator manufacturer. So that means pretty much any company there could advertise and be sucesssful. It wouldn't take that much to have more events paying 100k or more here.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd just view his deliberately illegal breaks as a strategic choice, just like intentional fouls or even playing safe instead of taking a hard shot. Hill probably had an option other than taking the break himself. Incidentally, Hill broke dry in both of those games but still won both of them.

As for the frequent CB cleaning, yes, it slowed things down. But I don't think the shot clock was stopped for it, so it consumed some of his 45 seconds each time.
None of what he did was improper and Hill was unaffected by it all. They both should be proud, the best pool I've seen in a while.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shi is a speciliast and hill is much newer to the discipline

Hill has been playing English 8 Ball his whole life so the moves are going to be the same no? The English Tables have the same pockets also-The tables are just smaller.
I didnt notice significant rule differences either.
JMHO

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it was awesome pool

i'd have a less of an issue if he did his break thing earlier on in the match

the ball cleaning was johnny archer-esque and unacceptable imo,

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
it was awesome pool

If you don't like Shi's strategies...you'd really hate Varner in his prime at one-pocket.
If a player decides to use a legal strategy, that is his right.

Shi Hanqing is a ROCK....Mick Hill is a HARD PLACE...
...it was a great match...but somebody had to win.

Both are great players

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great tournament and great game, I wish pool rooms in the USA would get these tables in.
But not sure from a business perspective if it would make sense.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hill has been playing English 8 Ball his whole life so the moves are going to be the same no? The English Tables have the same pockets also-The tables are just smaller.
I didnt notice significant rule differences either.
JMHO

Very different game. E8B is played with snooker size balls and uses snooker rules of play. They also play on a 7' table with snooker pockets.You got that part right.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very different game. E8B is played with snooker size balls and uses snooker rules of play. They also play on a 7' table with snooker pockets.You got that part right.

Yes i know the balls are smaller-goes along w the smaller table i mentioned.
This is Daz's original game and the first time he came to Vegas he won the GM 8 Ball in the final vs J Kirkwood. That's how good these games cross over.

Nick Van Blunkenberg!! Ahahahaha

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Payouts

Payouts for this year's event

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...orld-championship-2016-mens-division/results/

1 CHN SHI Han-Qing 92,724
2 GBR HILL Mick 46,362
3 GBR APPLETON Darren 23,181
4 CHN BO Li 12,363
5 CHN CHU Bing Jie 7,727
5 CHN YU Haitao 7,727
5 CHN WU Zhen Yu 7,727
5 CHN LIU Haitao 7,727
9 CHN ZHENG Yu-Bo 3,863
9 CHN ZHANG Kun Peng 3,863
9 CAN MORRA John 3,863
9 TPE CHANG Jung-Lin 3,863
9 TPE CHENG Yu-Hsuan 3,863
9 CHN WANG Can 3,863
9 CHN LIU Chuang 3,863
9 TPE KO Pin-Yi 3,863

To cover expenses need at least top 16 finish which pays about $4K
This year WPA boys did slightly better than last year with 7 making the last 16 compared to 6 last year. Of the 7 (APPLETON Darren, LIU Haitao, MORRA John, CHANG Jung-Lin, CHENG Yu-Hsuan, WANG Can,KO Pin-Yi), 4 (MORRA John, CHANG Jung-Lin, CHENG Yu-Hsuan, KO Pin-Yi) do not have C8B or E8B background compared to 3 last year
:grin-square:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Big checks didn't match??
ie: First place men's said $60k on it during ceremony......?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big checks didn't match??
ie: First place men's said $60k on it during ceremony......?

I think you must have heard women's first place which pays about $60K or you heard 600K RMB which is equal to 1st place $93k at current exchange rat :grin-square:

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Going to have to politely disagree with you here Jay, English 8-Ball does not use snooker rules, the rules are actually not totally dissimilar to US/Chinese 8-Ball.

There are 2 main sets; World Rules (older and encourages a very defensive style of play) and the increasingly popular Blackball rules which encourage a much more attacking style of play.

For clarity the object balls are 2 inches and the cue ball is (annoyingly) slightly smaller, 1.875 inches (this is because of the game's original purpose as a pub game I think and it made it easier for the table to spit out the cue ball on a scratch).

However of course the pocket cut, cloth and 'table style' does very much resemble a miniature snooker table, off the top of my head I thought the pockets were 3.25 inches, which is similar to a championship snooker table (but I'm not 100% sure on that).

Last edited:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
E8B table pockets are not snooker pockets, they may look similar but they are very different, the rubber on a snooker pocket follows the curve all the way into the pocket on an E8B table there is no rubber past the start of the curve just a hard facing, they like to trap balls that are slightly off where as a snooker pocket will reject the ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it was awesome pool

That's funny, i was thinking same thing. Archer and his "lint gardening" can drive you nuts!

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Payouts for this year's event

http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...orld-championship-2016-mens-division/results/

1 CHN SHI Han-Qing 92,724
2 GBR HILL Mick 46,362
3 GBR APPLETON Darren 23,181
4 CHN BO Li 12,363
5 CHN CHU Bing Jie 7,727
5 CHN YU Haitao 7,727
5 CHN WU Zhen Yu 7,727
5 CHN LIU Haitao 7,727
9 CHN ZHENG Yu-Bo 3,863
9 CHN ZHANG Kun Peng 3,863
9 CAN MORRA John 3,863
9 TPE CHANG Jung-Lin 3,863
9 TPE CHENG Yu-Hsuan 3,863
9 CHN WANG Can 3,863
9 CHN LIU Chuang 3,863
9 TPE KO Pin-Yi 3,863

To cover expenses need at least top 16 finish which pays about $4K
This year WPA boys did slightly better than last year with 7 making the last 16 compared to 6 last year. Of the 7 (APPLETON Darren, LIU Haitao, MORRA John, CHANG Jung-Lin, CHENG Yu-Hsuan, WANG Can,KO Pin-Yi), 4 (MORRA John, CHANG Jung-Lin, CHENG Yu-Hsuan, KO Pin-Yi) do not have C8B or E8B background compared to 3 last year
:grin-square:

i hope all these players join the world 8-ball

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seen some derogatory comments about the Chinese players on this thread. I'm not parochial as I just like quality players shooting for good money to reward their efforts. This tournament certainly delivered. Congrats to Darren, he showed how versatile and consistent he is!

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk