Ching Shun Yang vs. Francisco Bustamante- 2002 WPC

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this was the year that Bustamante found out his daughter died while he was playing the tournament. His wife told him to keep playing in honor of his daughter. Bustamante played amazingly good, and lost a heartbreaking 17-15 in the final against Earl Strickland. Not sure if this is entirely accurate but that's the story I heard.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I think this was the year that Bustamante found out his daughter died while he was playing the tournament. His wife told him to keep playing in honor of his daughter. Bustamante played amazingly good, and lost a heartbreaking 17-15 in the final against Earl Strickland. Not sure if this is entirely accurate but that's the story I heard.

I believe you're right. How strong is it to even keep from sobbing during a time like that, let alone take second place in the World Friggin' Championship?

Frankie gets much respect from me, and I'm glad he finally got to wear the WPC crown with his victory last year.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 1:00:09 even though the shot didn't work out for Busty that was some really clever thinking. I'm almost positive that he figured that if he did make the 1 off the 7 in the side, it would send the 7 into the cluster where the 2 ball was. If he didn't make the carom then most likely he wouldn't break up the cluster where the 2 was so Yang would have a tough time running out from there. The commentators didn't seem to think he played it on purpose.

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 1:00:09 even though the shot didn't work out for Busty that was some really clever thinking. I'm almost positive that he figured that if he did make the 1 off the 7 in the side, it would send the 7 into the cluster where the 2 ball was. If he didn't make the carom then most likely he wouldn't break up the cluster where the 2 was so Yang would have a tough time running out from there. The commentators didn't seem to think he played it on purpose.

I believe Steve Davis was on the mic, my fav commentator of all time.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Tho, the ending was cut off...the finish is that Busty ran 6 and out to win the match.

Eric >assuming that I came close to remembering it right

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The fact is Busti found out his daughter died before the final and he wanted to forfait and come back home immediatly. It was his wife who encouraged him to play the final for his daughter . Sad story :frown: .

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching it several times, and closely watching his eyes to see what he was thinking, I think you are wrong. I think that he was intending to make the one off the rail and the two ball, and then see what he got on the two.

What sealed if for me was the look he had right after the shot. He looked up into the audience and not at the 7. That told me something in the audience distracted him and he didn't get the results he wanted. He looked up there BEFORE the 7 got down to the the area of the 2 ball.

However, the plan you thought he was going for (and maybe he was) is also a good plan IMO.

I can't say I agree with you. It's almost impossible to get position on the 2-ball from where the cue ball was. He couldn't go 3 rails because that would require draw, and he was jacked up over a ball. And the fact that he hit the shot so hard tells me that he wanted to make sure that the cluster with the 2-ball would get broken up. I looked at the video again and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary with what he was looking at.

K.Mcphee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how strong Yang is. I watched his match against De Luna and I think he did some really complex things while at the same time playing simple patterns....and getting out. I don't understand it, maybe he is that good that he can get away with it.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I wonder how strong Yang is. I watched his match against De Luna and I think he did some really complex things while at the same time playing simple patterns....and getting out. I don't understand it, maybe he is that good that he can get away with it.

Strong enough to beat Orcullo twice in multiple day money matches, IIRC.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
...What sealed if for me was the look he had right after the shot. He looked up into the audience and not at the 7. That told me something in the audience distracted him and he didn't get the results he wanted. He looked up there BEFORE the 7 got down to the the area of the 2 ball...

I think he was looking to see where his cueball was going to end up, and he already knew that the 7 wasn't going to come close to breaking out the 2. I agree that he wasn't trying to pocket the 1 in the side and break out the 2 with the 7 ball (which I think would have required an extremely accurate hit on the 7).

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The year of this video, Yang was the favorite in the betting lines to win it all. At that time he was the best player in Taiwan by everyone's account.

A little gossip from back then. Around that time, Yang's girlfriend was stolen by H K Hsai, another excellent but slow TW player

strokin'myshaft

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe a bit too complex on some things which worked out against him and enabled De Luna to mount a comeback and win. But you're right he's that good.

strokin'myshaft

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The year of this video, Yang was the favorite in the betting lines to win it all. At that time he was the best player in Taiwan by everyone's account.

A little gossip from back then. Around that time, Yang's girlfriend was stolen by H K Hsai, another excellent but slow TW player

Comparing Yang then and now, he seemed to have not aged at all.

Give me Yang's skills and you can have my GF. :D

poolnoob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't remember there was a streaker until i saw the replay online. Am pretty sure i watch it live on TV when it was shown. Hmm interesting.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he was looking to see where his cueball was going to end up, and he already knew that the 7 wasn't going to come close to breaking out the 2. I agree that he wasn't trying to pocket the 1 in the side and break out the 2 with the 7 ball (which I think would have required an extremely accurate hit on the 7).

Why else would he have hit the shot so hard? And it's not a bad shot at all. If you don't make the one in the side, you probably won't break up the cluster with the 2 ball so your opponent will be hard pressed to run out.