Classic Joss

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta love a dirty bumper! :grin-square:

Mine has a KU bumper as well by the way. They just look right.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Agree with something like 1969 to 1970 for this cue, give or take a bit. When Joss started, it was a plain black joint collar, quickly going to a boxes collar with no rings. By about 1970 or so, they started the familiar railroad joint collar with both boxes and rings, some with only maple, some, like this one, with white phenolic or similar material rings.

The 18 thread pin is rare indeed. The only other one I've personally seen was owned by pro player and room owner Billy Stephen of Richmond, Virginia, in the 1990's. Billy was a very good player, beat Earl Strickland in 2002 in the one-time pro tournament held in Lanham, Maryland. His cue was a four point, but with maple boxes in the buttsleeve. I'm sure he remembers it.

Back to Joss cues though, 3/8 by 10 in the 70s was not few, it was quite many; in fact, generally what Joss Cues recommended. Every pool hall in Maryland had players with Joss ivory joint 3/8 by 10 ivory joints. This was Gentlemen's Cue in Reisterstown, The Players Room, owned by Mike Seidel, Bill and Billie's in Glen Burnie, Greenies, and other rooms. In fact, the Joss standard in the early to mid 70s was an ivory joint 3/8 by 10 pin. I think they had a pretty good supply of ivory back then, and it was not the cost it would be today. Nor the politics.

Anyhow, this is a very nice old Joss cue, old and rare in a few ways.

All the best,
WW

Last edited: