Classic Tables: Preserve or Restore

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
You know that dream where you pick apart every craigslist ad in a 400 mi. radius every week for a year for your dream table to restore at an OMG price and then you go see it and its legit so you buy it and then you suddenly think...

"Well don't screw it up now!"

Yeah, that.

In classic cars there is a concept of preserving a car as opposed to a complete restoration. The difference being that in preserving you try to keep as much original as possible and when you do have to replace parts you keep them as close in specs as possible.

Does that same concept exist in pool tables?

In the example of my table, it would be the difference between having the rails redone with tighter pockets or not. Whether or not to try and repair the original dry, cracked skirts or just order new ones that match. Original dull finish on the wood and less reflective polish on the casings as opposed to glossy finish on the wood and casings you can see yourself in.

In the end, it's my table so I can and will do whatever I want. However, I'm curious what the sentiment is among players.

And don't worry, I'm already a fan of the Simonis tournament green so there's no need to lecture me on cloth colors. :rolleyes:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the long run, all original is best.
But like a car's tires, there are certain things on a table that will have to be replaced no matter what. ie cloth , cushions, leather, etc.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Which model table?

Rob.M

You know that dream where you pick apart every craigslist ad in a 400 mi. radius every week for a year for your dream table to restore at an OMG price and then you go see it and its legit so you buy it and then you suddenly think...

"Well don't screw it up now!"

Yeah, that.

In classic cars there is a concept of preserving a car as opposed to a complete restoration. The difference being that in preserving you try to keep as much original as possible and when you do have to replace parts you keep them as close in specs as possible.

Does that same concept exist in pool tables?

In the example of my table, it would be the difference between having the rails redone with tighter pockets or not. Whether or not to try and repair the original dry, cracked skirts or just order new ones that match. Original dull finish on the wood and less reflective polish on the casings as opposed to glossy finish on the wood and casings you can see yourself in.

In the end, it's my table so I can and will do whatever I want. However, I'm curious what the sentiment is among players.

And don't worry, I'm already a fan of the Simonis tournament green so there's no need to lecture me on cloth colors. :rolleyes:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Unless this is an historic table, very few billiard tables bring Collector-type dollar amounts.

Collector cars, guns, swords, etc. don't get used...they get admired. So people are willing to pay more to be able to say "It's 100% original."

But pool tables are bought to be played. Do what you need to do to make it play/look the best it can.

At first I was surprised that people were restoring vintage cues. New finish, new wrap, etc. Normally that would destroy the value of an antique. But it seems commonplace and expected in pool.

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this discussion with a leading table restorer. He said his customers want the shiny new look. To me it depends on the condition of the table. If it is still in nice shape, veneer not peeling off, not waterdamaged, etc my personal preference is to clean it up and conserve it rather than a complete restore.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
In the long run, all original is best.
But like a car's tires, there are certain things on a table that will have to be replaced no matter what. ie cloth , cushions, leather, etc.

I just got done moving it into it's "temporary" home in storage from the moving truck and had a chance to look at some of the wood a little more. Some of it is salvageable but not all of it. I may end up replacing some of the skirts. It may not be "original" after I'm done because of that but at least it will look as good as possible.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I've know of a good stapler for the job, if you're not worried how long it will take !!! :wink:
In fact you may have already met him. ;)

And on the bright side, the table would be worth even more because it would be twice as old as it is now.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Restore it. You want a table that plays good first and foremost, aesthetics are secondary in my opinion. You might want to keep it as original as possible if it's just going to be a decorative piece of furniture, but if you're a pool player and this table will be in use regularly, why the hell wouldn't you want it to play as good as possible? Do you want to play on the antiquated bucket-sized pockets of the era, or do you want to practice the game in the modern era? Tighten the pockets, install new skirts, shine the b*tch up and play some pool!

And throw a kickass pool table warming party like Dave and Wendy.

Last edited:

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Restore it. You want a table that plays good first and foremost, aesthetics are secondary in my opinion. You might want to keep it as original as possible if it's just going to be a decorative piece of furniture, but if you're a pool player and this table will be in use regularly, why the hell wouldn't you want it to play as good as possible? Do you want to play on the antiquated bucket-sized pockets of the era, or do you want to practice the game in the modern era? Tighten the pockets, install new skirts, shine the b*tch up and play some pool!

And throw a kickass pool table warming party like Dave and Wendy.

Yeah, good advice. The replacement wood parts aren't too bad, would save me a lot of time and since I'm already thinking that I'm making it a drop pocket table instead of trying to repair the old ball return it would be consistent with that.

And yes, it will definitely need a pool table party. We never did that with the one we have now because I think we were both a little annoyed at how that all played out. This one has no bad mojo.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

The most important thing on a brunswick anniversary table is to have the rails rebuilt to play up to today's standards. A few details are critical... Everything else is cosmetic.

Rob.M

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
The most important thing on a brunswick anniversary table is to have the rails rebuilt to play up to today's standards. A few details are critical... Everything else is cosmetic.

Yeah, I have already made that call. Probably ship them off in the coming weeks.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to replace the skirts on my Anniversary, used solid maple , Would have liked
to keep the original art deco design but they were too badly damaged when someone tried to'move the table without taking it apart. In any case the table is meant to used
so I can definately live with it. If you going to use it it shouldn't be a big deal.