Clean Ferrell’s

Bigbrown66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..oh goode', I like show and tell

Cue10.JPG

I've had this can of stuff for a few years now, just a little bit on the

fingers and spin till almost dry then buff.

Works great on balls also, same routine just more stuff for a longer period of time.

It starts out gritty then just starts to dissipate.

I think I got at lowe's...

Wow! Love it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My ferrule is always pretty clean, but am I the only one who holds the opinion that blueing

on the shaft is a good thing/looks good? I was trying to get rid of an OB shaft I rarely used

and was told it was filthy? It was 100 times (less blue) than my playing shafts...My thoughts

on this is the chalk fills up the porous wood and doesn't let other things more harmful into

the grain. Is there benefits from keeping your shaft from being impregnated by chalk? Or

is it just personal preference?

You arent the only one. :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 363

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best way to keep ferrules clean is to rub them with a damp thumb, upwards, which helps keep the sides of the tip clean as well. Do this a few times during play, and at the end of play, the same thing, and turn the ferrule and tip inside a cloth or paper towel. Cleans and burnishes everything. Here's an example. These Scruggs shafts were made for me in 1982, have had considerable play, and the shafts and ferrules have never been sanded.

All the best,
WW
Are those ferrules ivory? My Westinghouse micarta, ivory,and juma ferrules stay clean with very little upkeep. I'm very picky about clean ferrules!

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Are those ferrules ivory? My Westinghouse micarta ivory,and juma ferrules stay clean with very little upkeep. I'm very picky about clean ferrules!

Yes, those ferrules are ivory, very easy to keep clean. Also, Micarta, Melamine, Aegis, Nylon, and Juma are easy to keep clean. Ivorine, can stay clean, but stays kind of dull, doesn't polish up. White fiber, hard as hell to keep clean, but not many cue makers use it anymore.

All the best,
WW

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bluer the better, for me too.

My ferrule is always pretty clean, but am I the only one who holds the opinion that blueing

on the shaft is a good thing/looks good? I was trying to get rid of an OB shaft I rarely used

and was told it was filthy? It was 100 times (less blue) than my playing shafts...My thoughts

on this is the chalk fills up the porous wood and doesn't let other things more harmful into

the grain. Is there benefits from keeping your shaft from being impregnated by chalk? Or

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have a buddy that once or twice a week while he’s sitting at the table with a beer he’ll
wipe the ferrule with a little Budweiser a a couple of bar napkins. Seems to do wonders.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Same here, I like my shaft to go blue and I never clean it, though I do try to keep my ferrule clean. Thankfully the micarta ferrules I have don’t seem to hold chalk really so they stay pretty clean without much effort.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the beauty of ivory......I have 17 cue shafts with ivory ferrules & the ferrules are chalk free.
Then there's also the added benefit of the acoustical sound of your cue stroke with ivory ferrules.

I see players using cues with discolored ferrules all the time; get some toothpaste on those ferrules.
Your aim point and contact point for aiming purposes becomes more distinct sighting down your cue.

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
I use a small, very lightly damp, Mr Clean Pad. It easily takes the chalk right off. I just wrap the pad around the ferrule and turn it or the shaft, One or two spins usually wipes it clean.Be sure to use the "PLAIN" pads with no petroleum product or other harsh product. I put scotch tape around the side of the tip down to it's base. This helps to keep the tip protected while cleaning.

Bigbrown66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like all the pics on AZ?

Sure.

Test hit only.

Don't use the damn things.

Store in closet in unused case.

Bring out only when price of cue rises.

Take pictures with new camera.

Post on AZ For Sale Forum.

Try to sell cue.

Then put back in storage away from direct sunlight.

Wait for prices to rise again.

Rinse and repeat.

Lol.....love it!

Rogue8ball

Registered
Like all the pics on AZ?
Sure.

Test hit only.
Don't use the damn things.
Store in closet in unused case.
Bring out only when price of cue rises.
Take pictures with new camera.
Post on AZ For Sale Forum.
Try to sell cue.
Then put back in storage away from direct sunlight.
Wait for prices to rise again.

Rinse and repeat.

LOL!!! Spot on.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When using toothpaste what is the process? How much toothpaste do you use? Do you just tape up the shaft and tip so the ferrule is the only thing exposed? How long do you let the toothpaste sit? What do you use to clean it, a paper towel? A bath towel? Napkin? How long does it usually take?

r/DCP

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone tell me how to get and keep your Ferrels clean like all the pics in here?

Thanks!

Seems like this exact same cleaning ferrule topic was just discussed a month or two ago, and covered with many good suggestions. If you do a thread search and enter ferrule cleaning, you should easily be able to find it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like this exact same cleaning ferrule topic was just discussed a month or two ago, and covered with many good suggestions. If you do a thread search and enter ferrule cleaning, you should easily be able to find it.
Sorry for my last post - I see it indeed is the same thread that was started a few weeks ago! Funny how these threads disappear for a while and then just pop back up to the top again!