Cleaning diamond PRC rails

MurrayNevada

I was thinking that the Diamond in my future would have the PRC rails. This thread is making me think that not be the way to go. Do the PRC rails become unsightly without a great effort at maintenance? Are other Diamond finishes preferrable?

Nyquil

I cleaned the rails with Murphys soap spray(sprayed onto a micro fiber first). Next sprayed yellow Beeswax onto a micro cloth and did the rails. Does not look substantially better. Am I doing do something wrong. Should the beeswax be applied with a buffer. Are the PRC rail suppose to have a dull appearance. Am I wasting my time. I have no problem simply wiping the rails with a slightly damp cloth and leaving them as is but feel like experimenting
Hey GC, you may have used a bit too much of the the wax. I would try that cleaner out I was talking about it's pretty cheap and ships fast on Amazon. It's quick and easy and since its dye free you can get right up against the rail and cloth with no worries.

Nyquil

I was thinking that the Diamond in my future would have the PRC rails. This thread is making me think that not be the way to go. Do the PRC rails become unsightly without a great effort at maintenance? Are other Diamond finishes preferrable?
The benefit to the prc is the ability to buff the rails to like new as the years go. To be honest for a home table they are likely over-kill. Keeping them clean is easy though. The finish can be a fingerprint magnet especially if you have sweaty hands. Unless you are buying for a commercial application look thru some of the pics on heaths website of other table stain/wood people have bought and I would choose what you think looks the best.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Get them. You might regret not getting them. But as Ny said…. Look around. Do some research

MurrayNevada

Get them. You might regret not getting them. But as Ny said…. Look around. Do some research
Why might I regret not getting PRC? I've looked into it a bit and am seeing that the finish on the wood stained rails, suggested by Nyquil, tend rub off with time. Perhaps that's what you meant. It's a big investment and I don't want to worry about the appearance of the table diminishing with time.

Nyquil

Why might I regret not getting PRC? I've looked into it a bit and am seeing that the finish on the wood stained rails, suggested by Nyquil, tend rub off with time. Perhaps that's what you meant. It's a big investment and I don't want to worry about the appearance of the table diminishing with time.
I recommend the PRC for long term. I also like the color anyway. I am just saying if you don't like dealing with finger prints the stained options may be the way to go. Also not everyone likes black rails.

The one thing I didn't know going in is the PRC will show some wood specs in the rails. Some rail sets will show more speckles than others. They look like potential scratches but it's just the 🪵 embedded into the phenolic compound. I put a pic below so you have a up close idea.

When your ready to buy I would definitely call Heath Manning and have him quote you a price. He has sold many tables to members on this forum myself included. Your dropping big coin he is the guy to do it with imho. If you have any issues at all he will sort it. If it's a 3 piece slate I would make sure RKC approves of the installer. Make sure you know going in who it is and that Glen passes off on the skill of the guy doing your table. This would have saved me some major headaches with mine with the first installer.

Cheers
Brent
16398677229416655975491435828947.jpg

MurrayNevada

Thanks for the great explanation and will do. My installer will be Mark Estes of Las Vegas. He is a table mechanic highly recommended by Glen. He did the RKC fix to solve my Olhausen pocket rattle. Amazing difference with the 3/16" Diamond pocket facings.

Nyquil

Thanks for the great explanation and will do. My installer will be Mark Estes of Las Vegas. He is a table mechanic highly recommended by Glen. He did the RKC fix to solve my Olhausen pocket rattle. The amazing difference with the 3/16" Diamond pocket facings.
Hopefully the wait time isn't too bad I heard it has gone up. I waited 12 weeks for mine. If you can swing it I would consider snagging a diamond polisher with your table purchase. Shipping these can be expensive. You usually don't have to pay shipping for one if you buy your table with it. They work really well getting marks off balls and keep them looking new. Best accessory you can buy for your 💎 other than a cover.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
My 8 foot Pro Am was a special order, and it took about three months. I love the PRC rails and cleaning them is simple with a damp cloth. I think they will outlive us if maintained. Go for it, best looking table in my opinion-

-dj

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I plan to talk to Heath right after Christmas. What is the approximate shipping charge I can expect?
Where are you located? If Mark is going to install your table, why don't you order from him? He places orders directly with the factory.

-dj

MurrayNevada

I'm in Las Vegas and I do plan to order from Mark. I just have a few questions I want to ask Heath about some things he talks about in his Diamond table videos on his website. Heath has helped me in the past with things. I'm trying to get an idea about what shipping will cost on top of table cost.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I'm in Las Vegas and I do plan to order from Mark. I just have a few questions I want to ask Heath about some things he talks about in his Diamond table videos on his website. Heath has helped me in the past with things. I'm trying to get an idea about what shipping will cost on top of table cost.
If you plan to use Heath's expertise and it is indeed that valuable then perhaps he should be compensated for that by you placing the order with him. You can still get Mark to do the install where he also gets compensated for the work and expertise he brings to the table on his end. Seems a bit crappy to me to go into it intentionally intending to use a guy for all his knowledge and expertise only so you can go and buy somewhere else. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

MurrayNevada

If you plan to use Heath's expertise and it is indeed that valuable then perhaps he should be compensated for that by you placing the order with him. You can still get Mark to do the install where he also gets compensated for the work and expertise he brings to the table on his end. Seems a bit crappy to me to go into it intentionally intending to use a guy for all his knowledge and expertise only so you can go and buy somewhere else. Just food for thought.
I have a couple of questions for Heath concerning something he says in one of his Diamond table videos. He may be interested in my questions as they could clear up something that to me is a bit ambiguous. Manning Cues has been compensated by me in the past for a number of Predator cues and other products. I have spoken to Heath in the past and he always says to call him again if I have any questions. It may seem, "a bit crappy" to you but Heath will have no problem with it. And I will tell Heath that if I order a table it will be through a local dealer/installer.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rosewood finish will rub off.

The black PRC just need proper cleaning...in a commercial environment it's worse, but you should be cleaning rails anyways.

Far as pool ball cleaning. I just use Windex and ball restorer once in a blue moon. You don't want them slick, they will play differently as mentioned by others.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The rosewood finish will rub off.

The black PRC just need proper cleaning...in a commercial environment it's worse, but you should be cleaning rails anyways.

Far as pool ball cleaning. I just use Windex and ball restorer once in a blue moon. You don't want them slick, they will play differently as mentioned by others.
For now I’m only using Murphy Soap spray (onto a micro cloth) on the PRC. Wipe clean with a clean micro cloth. It looks good. High shine not needed.

CaptainBly

Registered
Just my humble opinion, but I feel like a lot of the problems arise form putting any polish in the machine. I was taught to rub the balls with the cleaner and let it dry. THEN put the balls in the polisher to get the cleaner off. This works amazingly well and the pads in the polisher last a lot longer. I have seen cleaners at pool halls that are soaked in the cleaner. Those balls never really get clear and shiny.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just my humble opinion, but I feel like a lot of the problems arise form putting any polish in the machine. I was taught to rub the balls with the cleaner and let it dry. THEN put the balls in the polisher to get the cleaner off. This works amazingly well and the pads in the polisher last a lot longer. I have seen cleaners at pool halls that are soaked in the cleaner. Those balls never really get clear and shiny.
Not debating your technique but I bought the cleaner to alleviate hand cleaning. That got old real fast. Yes too much cleaner in the machine is not good for the machine or getting a good clean finish on the balls.

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
Bought the Diamond Wire Ball Holder for Seybert's during the summer. It looks to be out of stock now on the Seybert's web site. You might be able to get it from the Manning Cues web site. Manning Cues
Thanks Seyberts is out of stock. Mannings has them but $40 to ship ! And excluded from there free shipping over $100 order promotion. I would really like one, looks good with the table and tired of kicking my 10 thru 15 balls around on the floor