Cleaning the carom table

Cooler

Registered
In our we have the same problem every time after re-clothing:the table works brilliant for first two weeks and after that angles are getting shorter. I was thinking if we do something wrong with cleaning. Could someone with more experience give good instructions for cleaning, please?

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
In our we have the same problem every time after re-clothing:the table works brilliant for first two weeks and after that angles are getting shorter. I was thinking if we do something wrong with cleaning. Could someone with more experience give good instructions for cleaning, please?

When cloth is replaced it is always important to brush and vacuum in one direction only this allows the cloth to stay in a regular pattern that is repeatable. I don't know if this is the problem or not, but here is something else to consider, when cloth is new especially cloth made for Billiards such as Simonis 300 or Granito M there is a very large slide factor. This slide factor increases the angle on spin shots, after the cloth breaks in the slide will begin to go away and the normal shorter spin angles will take over.

Hope this helps

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's all kinds of arguments about do's and don'ts and with what. Without getting into all this here is what I do.

First and foremost keep the cloth and balls clean.

Ball Cleaning:
If there are burns and scuff marks take them off. The simplest way is Aramath Restorer then Cleaner. Best way is buffing them.

Cloth Cleaning: I guess there's some advantage to vacuum cleaning so if that makes sense to you then do it. I now buy micro fiber cloth towels, run them under water till soaked then wring all the water out. Lightly or Drag the cloth over the bed and rails. You're just trying to take off a bunch of dust. DO NOT SCRUB THE CLOTH.

Now here's the most controversial part: Take the same cloth and find the unused portion, grab a can of general purpose silicone (not heavy duty) and spray it on for about 3 or 4 seconds. Take that and lightly or nearly drag the cloth across the table.

Other techniques;

Spray the bottle high over the table and let the mist simply drop.

Other products:

Pledge furniture polish sprayed in the air and let drop.

Glad to see someone who notices and can't afford to change their cloth every 30 days.

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When cloth is replaced it is always important to brush and vacuum in one direction only this allows the cloth to stay in a regular pattern that is repeatable. I don't know if this is the problem or not, but here is something else to consider, when cloth is new especially cloth made for Billiards such as Simonis 300 or Granito M there is a very large slide factor. This slide factor increases the angle on spin shots, after the cloth breaks in the slide will begin to go away and the normal shorter spin angles will take over.

Hope this helps

manwon,

Please take this in the way intended, as constructive. Actually, new cloth plays longer because the spin takes less! What makes a table play "short" is that the spin takes too much on short angles and that the spin wears off sooner (than on new cloth or siliconed cloth). I can explain this more fully, if you like.

Mark

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
manwon,

Please take this in the way intended, as constructive. Actually, new cloth plays longer because the spin takes less! What makes a table play "short" is that the spin takes too much on short angles and that the spin wears off sooner (than on new cloth or siliconed cloth). I can explain this more fully, if you like.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I re-read what I wrote and man I did have my head up my butt must be getting old.

Thanks for the correction!!

tiger37373

3 Cushion Enthusiast
Silver Member
I agree with 3kushn. Vacuuming and a quick wipe down, will keep the table very clean. Coupled with clean balls, and you should be able to get the maximum speed, that the table is capable of.

If you feel that the table play angles are not "true", then you may not have the correct nose height on the cushions. This item alone can drastically change the rebound angle.

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cooler,

I don't want to hijack your thread, but there are many factors that contribute to a table playing "short" (or, as Robert Raiford has suggested, "sticky"). Some of these factors have already been mentioned. We could continue that discussion here, but maybe we need a new thread on just that topic.

Mark