Closest snooker table to Boston?

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Hi there,
However I cannot vouch for the accuracy or whether they are full-sized tables.

I will put this database back on but if anyone can help in compiling an accurate list, I would of course credit you on the website for your assistance.

Alan, I'd be glad to have access to the snookerusa.com list of locations; you may have listings I've not yet found. I'm going to call each pool hall on my list to confirm it is still open, still has the snooker table(s), etc.

When the list is done I'll make it available in a variety of file formats and post links here and on other sites. If you publish your existing list of locations on the USSA web site then I could grab the page source, edit the list, and then send the edited HTML file back to you.

As time permits I'll be working on a Google Maps-based application to make it easier for snooker players to find snooker tables and get driving directions.

Good luck in the Nationals.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
that is great! let me know if you need some help. we should post this list on a web site somewhere

I'll be putting the list online in the next two weeks. It's taken a bit longer than expected to make phone calls to confirm whether or not different pool halls have (or ever had) snooker tables.

I now have my own set of Aramith 2-1/8 inch snooker balls, and just last week I gave them a try on a 4-1/2 x 9 table with fast cloth. It's not quite snooker, but still enjoyable.

Now I'm thinking seriously about getting a Mike Wooldridge "Shark" cue. Hmm.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
awesome work on the list, it will be well appreciated by many!

I hear mike wooldridge makes a great cue. can't get used to the non-traditional splicing on the sharks though.

i've never played with the american 2 1/8 balls before, only the english 2 1/16 ones. wonder how much of a difference it really is...

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
awesome work on the list, it will be well appreciated by many!

I hear mike wooldridge makes a great cue. can't get used to the non-traditional splicing on the sharks though.

Thanks, I hope people find the site useful. Though I plan to add more information over time--standard and simplified rules, references to snooker instruction, etc.--the main purpose is to make the information as easily accessible as possible.

I don't mind the non-traditional design of the Shark since I have little experience with traditional snooker cues. My pool-playing cue is actually a billiard cue with floating points, so I'm generally okay with non-traditional. (Mine is like this one, but darker and with a black delrin butt: http://store.schulercue.com/slc-505-3.aspx)

i've never played with the american 2 1/8 balls before, only the english 2 1/16 ones. wonder how much of a difference it really is...

I think you'd notice the difference in mass, but not so much the difference in diameter. The balls "feel" different more than they look different.

Diameter and Volume
D = 2.25 in. : V = 5.96 in^3
D = 2.125 in. : V = 5.02 in^3
D = 2.0625 in. : V = 4.59 in^3

Difference in diameter
2.25 --> 2.125 : - 5.6% (1/18th smaller)
2.25 --> 2.0625 : - 8.3% (1/12th smaller)

If you hold a 2-1/4 pool ball and a 2-1/8 snooker ball side by side the size difference is noticeable but not striking.

There's a perceptible difference in the mass of the balls, though. If the balls are all of the same density, then the difference in masses can be calculated from the difference in volumes (Density = Mass/Volume).

Difference in volume or mass (approx.)
2.25 --> 2.125 : - 15.8% relative to larger ball
2.25 --> 2.0625 : - 23.0%

The 2-1/16 have about 9% less mass relative to their 2-1/8 cousin, and I believe an experienced snooker player would notice that fairly quickly.

Compare a 2-3/8 carom ball with a 2-1/16 snooker ball--yikes.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah i'm amazed compared to a pool ball how much 3/16 difference makes, the snooker ball is so much smaller and lighter than you would think. so i'm sure i'd notice the difference with 2 1/8. smaller balls make the game a little harder i think, the contact area to pot the ball would be smaller too, requiring more precision.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
yeah i'm amazed compared to a pool ball how much 3/16 difference makes...

Rather a lot. Last week when a friend joined me to play snooker he said he felt his pool cue might as well have been a baseball ball, it felt so unwieldy with the smaller balls.

---

I have some good news and some bad news about snooker tables in Mass.

Good News
When I called Snookers in Springfield today I was told that the table is a 6 x 12 rather than a 5 x 10. (I'd prefer to see it in person, of course.)

Bad News
The table is in a banquet room rather than in the pool hall, and the rental rate for the banquet room is $75/hour. Apparently the table is not available unless you rent the banquet room. I understand why they wouldn't pay an employee to babysit a single table in a separate room, but still: ouch.

When I get a chance to head out to Springfield--whenever that'll be--I'll talk to the owner.

vina54

someone should put together a website that lists all the snooker tables in the US. would probably be a short list. lol :D

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
someone should put together a website that lists all the snooker tables in the US. would probably be a short list. lol :D

I'm trying to wrap up work so that the list will be online within the next two weeks. So far I have about 170 confirmed listings--that is, pool halls I've phoned to confirm the presence of at least one snooker table. I suspect that after the list in online a few more will trickle in.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
that is great! let me know if you need some help. we should post this list on a web site somewhere

McChen,

Howdy again. It was this comment of yours that helped induce me to put the whole U.S. list together. Thanks!

http://www.findsnooker.com/Massachusetts.html
http://www.findsnooker.com/Connecticut.html
http://www.findsnooker.com/New_Hampshire.html

After about three weeks I had 300 leads, made anywhere from one to six phone calls per lead, etc., etc., and now the first version is finally online with 183 listings.

Now I wanna play snooker.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No rethunk, thanks to YOU! It is a great thing you put together, I'm sure many people will find your listing incredibly useful. Hopefully people online will help you expand and maintain the list!

I'm in the mood to play some snooker too! we should get together sometime and play some pool at least

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
No rethunk, thanks to YOU! It is a great thing you put together, I'm sure many people will find your listing incredibly useful. Hopefully people online will help you expand and maintain the list!

Thanks. I hope folks make good use of it, and I'm looking forward to having more listings to add. Already I have three more sites to check for Kansas.

I'm in the mood to play some snooker too! we should get together sometime and play some pool at least

Sure thing. Check your mailbox for a PM from me.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
An update: the snooker table at Snookers Billiard Club in Springfield, Mass is available without having to rent the banquet hall. I updated the website with the new info. Incidentally, it's a 10' table rather than a 12' table.

http://www.findsnooker.com/Massachusetts.html

Long story short, I found out today that the table is available on weekdays from 1 - 6 p.m. Armin, the owner, said that whoever wants to play on the snooker table should call ahead. The table's not available on nights or weekends because it's located in a room that's only open during weekday business hours.

This is still the only snooker table in Massachusetts that I've found.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Yes! The Billiards Cafe has a 6 x 12.

Tonight I confirmed that The Billiards Cafe in Ayer, Massachusetts is in the process of setting up a 6 x 12 snooker table.
This will be the first public 6 x 12 in the Boston area since Renaissance Billiards in Quincy closed a few years ago.

http://www.thebilliardscafe.com/

The Billiards Cafe is in downtown Ayer, which is west of Boston.
IMG_2210.jpg

Walk up the flight of steps to the second floor, turn left, and as you walk into the room you can see the snooker table on the right.
IMG_2209.jpg

The table hasn't been covered yet. It has five 1-1/2" thick slates.
IMG_2208.JPG

This is the 6 x 12 formerly housed at Crown Billiards in New London, Connecticut.

I'll be updating FindSnooker.com with a new entry for The Billiards Cafe within the next day or two. I hope to stop by there again next week, at which point the table may be covered.

Last edited:

marble49

I believe they actually bought the table from Crown in New London. We asked the owner of Crown and he referred us to Billiards Cafe. I was told the table will be up and running by Monday night 4/12. Will be there to play on 4/13. Hope to see some of you guys there!

Tonight I confirmed that The Billiards Cafe in Ayer, Massachusetts is in the process of setting up a 6 x 12 snooker table.
This will be the first public 6 x 12 in the Boston area since Renaissance Billiards in Quincy closed a few years ago.

http://www.thebilliardscafe.com/

The Billiards Cafe is in downtown Ayer, which is west of Boston.
IMG_2210.jpg

Walk up the flight of steps to the second floor, turn left, and as you walk into the room you can see the snooker table on the right.
IMG_2209.jpg

The table hasn't been covered yet. It has five 1-1/2" thick slates.
IMG_2208.JPG

The next closest publicly accessible 6 x 12 is at Crown Billiards in New London, Connecticut, which is nearly two hours from Boston by car.

I'll be updating FindSnooker.com with a new entry for The Billiards Cafe within the next day or two. I hope to stop by there again next week, at which point the table may be covered.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
I believe they actually bought the table from Crown in New London. We asked the owner of Crown and he referred us to Billiards Cafe. I was told the table will be up and running by Monday night 4/12. Will be there to play on 4/13. Hope to see some of you guys there!

Yup, I talked to both the other of The Billiards Cafe and to Crown to confirm that. So the number of 6 x 12 tables in New England hasn't changed, there's just been a relocation. I modified findsnooker.com accordingly.

Maybe we can meet up. I'm not sure I can make it next Tuesday, but I plan to stop by late Wednesday night (4/14).

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Trying to find a decent snooker table is very difficult. Have you ever considered buying your own? If so click here for advice http://www.snookercoaching.limewebs.com/

When/if I have the space and money, I'd like to have a table of my own.

For my fellow New Englanders: The Billiards Cafe in Ayer, MA had to order new rails for the 6 x 12 snooker table. The table should be ready next week.

If you're going to be driving to Ayer, MA to play on the snooker table, call ahead to make a reservation.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Earlier tonight I stopped by The Billiards Cafe with a buddy of mine. Met some people. Looked at the table. Showed folks my Wooldridge snooker cue.

The snooker cloth is in place (under the black table cover). The next step will be the installation of new rails. If all goes well the table should be ready next week.

ayer_during_install.jpg

There are now some comfy chairs next to the snooker table in the same sport where there used to be video games.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
When I called The Billiards Cafe tonight (Friday 30 March) I was told that the snooker table is ready. I probably won't be out there until next week.

Call ahead to reserve the table.

Last edited:

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
I'm headed to Ayer tonight. I may play in the 7 p.m. tournament (8-ball or 9-ball, whatever's on tap), but in any case I'd like to play snooker if/when the table is available.

Over the summer I'm hoping to choose a regular night to play snooker, but I haven't decided what night that'll be. If you're interested in playing, send me a PM.

If you're at The Billiards Cafe tonight I'll be easy enough to spot:
FindSnookerShirt_back.jpg