Cloth 860 vs 920?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are wrong. 950 is different cloth than 760. Material is exactly same as 760 but weave and nap cut is different. 950 is better than 760.
Better? Or just different? Never played on it. I'm assuming its faster. Looked it up and it is more expensive for sure. Why does Pyramid need this cloth? Curious.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My rails do need replacement thats for sure, even the cuts near the pockets have issues and look rounded. But I feel that makes the pocket tougher which is nice for practice.

I asked one pool repairman about the rails of gold crown table and he told me the price, I was shocked. I can't remember exactly how much but he told me a very expensive price that I felt buying a new table was justifiable. lol
The $ cost for a set of top-quality cushion rubbers is not nearly as much $ as the labor required to get a properly qualified mechanic to remove the old cushion rubbers, carefully remove all the glue from the sub rails, properly install the new cushion rubbers, not to mention the cost of the cloth, cushion facings, and more labor to completely finish the job.

Most installers these days will charge you anywhere from $400 to $500 to completely re-cover / re-level a table with new Championship cloth, an additional $150 - $200 if using Simonis cloth, then likely another $400 to $500 for the new cushion installation including the cost of the new cushions and facings. Yes, the price adds up quickly, but you’ll get what you pay for if you try to find an unqualified mechanic to do the work!

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Large heavy balls
3c uses heavy balls and Simonis300 is paper thin. Simonis' site recommends 760 or 950 for Pyramyd. Both weight the same per yd. Says its(950) is pressed(?) and sheared differently. I'm guessing this ups the speed. Its expensive that's for sure, about 700bux to do a 10' and 750-800 for a full 12' Pyramid table.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better? Or just different? Never played on it. I'm assuming its faster. Looked it up and it is more expensive for sure. Why does Pyramid need this cloth? Curious.
Here in Finland 950 and 760 exactly same price.
In our private club we used to have 760 on Finnish Kaisa tables that are similar to Russian Pyramid tables. Then we also get couple Pyramid tables. They did come with 950. After about year we noticed 950 was lasting longer in good condition than 760. So we get 950 to Kaisa tables too..
Speed is about same than 760 but 950 plays more like 860 when drawing ball. Spin grabs better. Cloth is still really fast but have more control than 760.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in Finland 950 and 760 exactly same price.
In our private club we used to have 760 on Finnish Kaisa tables that are similar to Russian Pyramid tables. Then we also get couple Pyramid tables. They did come with 950. After about year we noticed 950 was lasting longer in good condition than 760. So we get 950 to Kaisa tables too..
Speed is about same than 760 but 950 plays more like 860 when drawing ball. Spin grabs better. Cloth is still really fast but have more control than 760.
Sounds nice. Like to play on it. Never seen it.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Yes basically….it doesn’t have to be hard as one can because no matter how hard one can hit the ball it shouldn’t catch 5 rails fwiw. No can’t post a video I’m in the Gulf of Mexico at the moment.
I tried it.. I hit as hard as I can without bouncing cue ball off. It can barely reach the 4th rail and stop there

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
3c uses heavy balls and Simonis300 is paper thin. Simonis' site recommends 760 or 950 for Pyramyd. Both weight the same per yd. Says its(950) is pressed(?) and sheared differently. I'm guessing this ups the speed. Its expensive that's for sure, about 700bux to do a 10' and 750-800 for a full 12' Pyramid table.
Ooof wow that is def pricey. The pressing makes sense as you explained it.
I get that the 300 is thinner but remember there’s only 3 balls on the table so a lot less wear overall, to me that makes sense.

and if the 950 is the same thread as the 760 it has nylon in it. The 300 if I’m not mistaken is 100% wool

Last edited:

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Yes I can feel that they’re a little dead compared to before the guy installed the new cloth. It’s little humid weather here where I live in the Middle East so that may be a factor.

I wonder if there’s instruction video where I can check if the bolts are lose and to see if I can tightening them a tad.

The problem with calling the mechanic who installed is that most of them aren’t players so if they see this, they’re most likely to see it looks good and perfect. But a player will notice a little slow bounce. I can get used to that however I’m afraid if I go to a tournament with bouncy rails I’d be in big disadvantage.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Yes I can feel that they’re a little dead compared to before the guy installed the new cloth. It’s little humid weather here where I live in the Middle East so that may be a factor.

I wonder if there’s instruction video where I can check if the bolts are lose and to see if I can tightening them a tad.

The problem with calling the mechanic who installed is that most of them aren’t players so if they see this, they’re most likely to see it looks good and perfect. But a player will notice a little slow bounce. I can get used to that however I’m afraid if I go to a tournament with bouncy rails I’d be in big disadvantage.
12-15ft/lb torque on rail bolts 👍

that’s

16.27-20.34Nm for you in metric

the low end of the range there should be plenty fwiw

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Upon trying the 860 it really feels slow to me, maybe I need to get used to it.........But also the rails feels really really dead, is there anyway to speed those rails a little bit? or should I also get used to the dead rails? I might make a video to ask if this is normal or not because I feel they are more dead than what I saw on youtube on those tournament 860.
A firmly struck cue ball (hit with a little low to keep it from hopping at rail contact) should go 4 1/2 - 5 table lengths up and down the table. If yours travels less its probably time for cushions.

Just saw your video, that is very slow, my Gold Crown I is going 4 3/4" right now with Artemis cushions and proper sub-rail angles for modern cushions (k55) I am in Wisconsin and we certainly get our fair share of humidity in the summer plus my table is in our basement which is damp.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Simonis came out with 860 to showcase 9-ball This was around the time when people stopped asking, are we playing 9-ball rules or Texas Express 9-ball, and TE9 9-ball replaced straight pool as the tournament game of choice.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't normally shoot very softly. But I can shoot softly or hard depending on the shot, I am thinking to do a very short video showing the rails and how they respond. But if I had to buy new rails for my GC I may look online on ebay, because here the guy told me a very expensive price.
I used to play on Simonis 760 a lot before 860 was around, and it was nearly impossible to control the cue ball if you had to make it travel. The only way was to soft roll the shots. You may also have issues with your cushions if 860 is playing slow and the cloth is pulled tightly.