Cloth 860 vs 920?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
860hr is what came with my 9ft table. I have had my table in for a few weeks now. It's been humid in Utah lately and even with the abnormally high humidity it plays pretty fast (which I like). I heard it is supposed to last longer than the 860 and be less resistant to burn marks. I can't speak to longevity but I already have burn marks in mine and I don't think I am breaking that fast mph wise I also break the cue ball off a eye glass cleaning towel) so the more burn resistant selling point I think is total BS.
It will last a long time. Don't worry about the marks. Just cosmetic.

Nyquil

It will last a long time. Don't worry about the marks. Just cosmetic.
Ya, I had a few scraps left over and it is thick I will say that and I like the speed of it. I don't think I will have to worry about a dehumidifier. It should last a long while. If I was the OP I would go 860hr all day as long as they like fast play.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing with 920 and today is the time to change the cloth. The guy who installed the cloth told me that 860 is better and more thicker and I don’t doubt that. But he also said that all championships are played on 860 by the pros. Is the true?

I tried it and it seems really slow and you need to pound stuff to reach some positional shots. I wonder if all tournaments are used on 860 as he claims. Should I stick to 920 or go for 860?
860HR is the best, but only slightly more expensive than 860. Only drawback is that it is only available in four colors (tournament blue, royal blue, Simonis green, blue/green) whereas 860 is available in virtually any color.

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think eye glass cleaning towel will reduce burn marks much. A 2" x 2" piece of bed cloth will make a difference

Nyquil

I don't think eye glass cleaning towel will reduce burn marks much. A 2" x 2" piece of bed cloth will make a difference
Ya I can confirm your suspicion. I saw this as a recommendation on a YouTube vid. It does help prevent right at point of contact but that's about it.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Upon trying the 860 it really feels slow to me, maybe I need to get used to it.........But also the rails feels really really dead, is there anyway to speed those rails a little bit? or should I also get used to the dead rails? I might make a video to ask if this is normal or not because I feel they are more dead than what I saw on youtube on those tournament 860.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
the rails feels really really dead, is there anyway to speed those rails a little bit? or should I also get used to the dead rails?
You might try a thing once suggested by Earl The Pearl, which is using a 760 cloth on the rails to make them more lively.
In case you are not willing to recloth the rails that soon, maybe try a transparent adhesive tape on the nose along the cushions (though I'm not sure if that really helps in your situation. I just remember that was a means of prolonging their lifespan at the Philippines or whereabouts)

And yes, 920/950 is for Russian market (Russian Pyramid game), and one of those numbers is actually a 760 (so that Simonis did not have to do anything different other than mark the package, and at the same time got local pyramid community thinking they received some special cloth exclusively for them) 😚

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Not without changing the cushions.
Upon trying the 860 it really feels slow to me, maybe I need to get used to it.........But also the rails feels really really dead, is there anyway to speed those rails a little bit? or should I also get used to the dead rails? I might make a video to ask if this is normal or not because I feel they are more dead than what I saw on youtube on those tournament 860.
With 860 you should be able to easily get more than 4 but less than 5 rails going up and down the table….that’s the standard speed for a pool table with proper cushions. If your in that range then there’s nothing wrong with the cloth or cushion.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Not without changing the cushions.

With 860 you should be able to easily get more than 4 but less than 5 rails going up and down the table….that’s the standard speed for a pool table with proper cushions. If your in that range then there’s nothing wrong with the cloth or cushion.
I'd like to test that.....do you mean just shooting the cueball as hard as I can up and down and see how many rails it can hit? can you show a video of this possibly?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If your rails are dead/replace em next time you recover.
Other than a level table, cushions and cloth and pockets cut properly are IMPORTANT.
No different than cutting the greens and setting cups at a golf course.
Using different cup sizes and cutting greens with different machines on different holes is not how it's done.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you are absolutely correct my 920 did wear pretty fast even though I dont play much on it.

Now I went with the 860 because they did not have the 860 HR....I played a little on it and man it feels super sluggish to what I am used to at least. Pretty sure I will get used to it but I feel that its super-slow right now even slower than what I seen on youtube pro matches. But that could be as someone above mentioned due to lightning on TV tables where it looks faster.

I guess I need to get used to that speed of 860, I'm coming short on everything. And I feel that the shots where you pound the cueball to go into the rail and out on shots where you have little angle is pretty harder than it used to on the 920.
There's no way that new 860 should feel super sluggish. Maybe the cloth wasn't pulled tight enough. Also, if you're used to super fast cloth, then you must like to shoot very softly.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
If your rails are dead/replace em next time you recover.
Other than a level table, cushions and cloth and pockets cut properly are IMPORTANT.
No different than cutting the greens and setting cups at a golf course.
Using different cup sizes and cutting greens with different machines on different holes is not how it's done.
My rails do need replacement thats for sure, even the cuts near the pockets have issues and look rounded. But I feel that makes the pocket tougher which is nice for practice.

I asked one pool repairman about the rails of gold crown table and he told me the price, I was shocked. I can't remember exactly how much but he told me a very expensive price that I felt buying a new table was justifiable. lol

smoochie

NotLikeThis
There's no way that new 860 should feel super sluggish. Maybe the cloth wasn't pulled tight enough. Also, if you're used to super fast cloth, then you must like to shoot very softly.
I don't normally shoot very softly. But I can shoot softly or hard depending on the shot, I am thinking to do a very short video showing the rails and how they respond. But if I had to buy new rails for my GC I may look online on ebay, because here the guy told me a very expensive price.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might try a thing once suggested by Earl The Pearl, which is using a 760 cloth on the rails to make them more lively.
In case you are not willing to recloth the rails that soon, maybe try a transparent adhesive tape on the nose along the cushions (though I'm not sure if that really helps in your situation. I just remember that was a means of prolonging their lifespan at the Philippines or whereabouts)

And yes, 920/950 is for Russian market (Russian Pyramid game), and one of those numbers is actually a 760 (so that Simonis did not have to do anything different other than mark the package, and at the same time got local pyramid community thinking they received some special cloth exclusively for them) 😚
You are wrong. 950 is different cloth than 760. Material is exactly same as 760 but weave and nap cut is different. 950 is better than 760.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I'd like to test that.....do you mean just shooting the cueball as hard as I can up and down and see how many rails it can hit? can you show a video of this possibly?
Yes basically….it doesn’t have to be hard as one can because no matter how hard one can hit the ball it shouldn’t catch 5 rails fwiw. No can’t post a video I’m in the Gulf of Mexico at the moment.