Cmon! The Americans are getting sharked!

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
vjmehra said:
That said, when the World 9-Ball Championships used to be shown on Sky TV here, from what I remember they had a group stage which was a series of short races, alternate break, then the knockout phase was longer races, winner breaks. I thought that format worked really well!

Lol, yeah and from now on the qualifying rounds of the World Snooker should be a single frame with six reds. That's about the equivalent of a race to five at this level.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, yeah and from now on the qualifying rounds of the World Snooker should be a single frame with six reds. That's about the equivalent of a race to five at this level.

The qualifying rounds aren't shown on TV, the Mosconi Cup is.

What format that fits in with TV scheduling would you realistically propose?

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The qualifying rounds aren't shown on TV, the Mosconi Cup is.

What format that fits in with TV scheduling would you realistically propose?

Sorry you were replying to my post about the WC, well the same applies arguably, when it was played over hereit was shown on live TV, long races for the early matches simply aren't viable.

Apart from anything else, it creates upsets and excitement, isn't that good for the game?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You keep missing my point. SVB is a great player but his game is NOT indicative of the general quality of US pool. That's my point. There is a huge gap between him and the rest USA has to offer. Europe on the other hand is a completely different story. The titles across all over the world from lots of different players prove that in spades.
This is true and includes the Eastern players and Canada is gaining some momentum.
Can't argue that...

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Matters to you....not everyone.

I know this is AZ Billiards...but even you have to admit its a bit ridiculous to suggest someone's view is wrong because they aren't going to physically setup a pool match with real money involving professional players that they probably don't know personally.

To play devils advocate, why not front up first if you're so keen on the idea...see if you get any takers :)

I don't see it as ridiculous at all. It's about the same as me claiming that the Oakland Raiders tonight are about 3 point favorites over the Kansas City Chiefs. If you think I'm wrong then it's simple, all you have to do is bet your money and pocket your winnings.

As for fronting it, I don't see the need. Shane has said pretty publicly for a while now that he'll play anyone (except apparently Alcano as the poster above noted quite fairly) and all they need to do is step up. Since no one is currently doing the stepping up I'd say that argument is pretty much settled.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see it as ridiculous at all. It's about the same as me claiming that the Oakland Raiders tonight are about 3 point favorites over the Kansas City Chiefs. If you think I'm wrong then it's simple, all you have to do is bet your money and pocket your winnings.

As for fronting it, I don't see the need. Shane has said pretty publicly for a while now that he'll play anyone (except apparently Alcano as the poster above noted quite fairly) and all they need to do is step up. Since no one is currently doing the stepping up I'd say that argument is pretty much settled.

So you don't need to front up, but if someone doesn't front up for a European player their arguement is invalid.

Your logic doesn't quite add up!

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Sorry you were replying to my post about the WC, well the same applies arguably, when it was played over hereit was shown on live TV, long races for the early matches simply aren't viable.

Apart from anything else, it creates upsets and excitement, isn't that good for the game?

No, it just de-legitimizes the event.

Making the qualifying rounds of the US Open a single hole of match play would create upsets and excitement too, but that's not the point of the exercise. Instead it's about finding the best golfer. The same should be true for pool, it just isn't.

Pro pool should at the minimum be races to 13 for major tournaments, and always winner break. This format is a travesty.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
So you don't need to front up, but if someone doesn't front up for a European player their arguement is invalid.

Your logic doesn't quite add up!

Well if Shane was hurting for money or courage I'd certainly stake him.

I'm not sure I could get in the line up though, lol.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it just de-legitimizes the event.

Making the qualifying rounds of the US Open a single hole of match play would create upsets and excitement too, but that's not the point of the exercise. Instead it's about finding the best golfer. The same should be true for pool, it just isn't.

Pro pool should at the minimum be races to 13 for major tournaments, and always winner break. This format is a travesty.

I'm not against that idea at all, but it doesn't fit in with TV schedules.

Pro snooker matches are now often first to 4, presumably because of TV scheduling.

It's not ideal, but it means the game gets more coverage, exposure, sponsorship and therefore prize money.

So it's a necessary sacrifice.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the argument isn't really settled but players in other countries want to play on their own turf. The same can be said for Shane. Oscar posted that Chang Jung Lin destroyed Shane gambling in China several weeks before the US Open. He was surprised Shane beat him in the finals of US Open after the beating he received shortly before.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
I'm not against that idea at all, but it doesn't fit in with TV schedules.

Pro snooker matches are now often first to 4, presumably because of TV scheduling.

It's not ideal, but it means the game gets more coverage, exposure, sponsorship and therefore prize money.

So it's a necessary sacrifice.

Sure, and those are lesser events. For the bigger events they extend the races to make it a more legitimate contest.

Even with a race to 4 at snooker you're still looking at about an one hour match though, maybe slightly more or less. Race to five at nine ball for pros could be over in less than half an hour. That's only slightly longer than the warm up for a tennis match!

And if it were true that pool was getting more coverage, exposure, sponsorship or prize money you might have an argument there. However, since that is pretty much the exact opposite of what is happening I'd say a change is in order, wouldn't you?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sure, and those are lesser events. For the bigger events they extend the races to make it a more legitimate contest.

Even with a race to 4 at snooker you're still looking at about an one hour match though, maybe slightly more or less. Race to five at nine ball for pros could be over in less than half an hour. That's only slightly longer than the warm up for a tennis match!

And if it were true that pool was getting more coverage, exposure, sponsorship or prize money you might have an argument there. However, since that is pretty much the exact opposite of what is happening I'd say a change is in order, wouldn't you?

A race to five at 9-Ball can easily take 45 minutes to an hour. Let's say they play all nine games at an average of six minutes per game. That's 54 minutes without all the time lost between games. Thirty minutes is fast and usually indicates a runaway like 5-0 or 5-1. Or a Jayson Shaw vs. Rodney Morris match like we saw here earlier. :wink:

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not disagreeing with you in principal, I like winner breaks (not that I object to alternate either, both are good in their own way).

All I was trying to say is that snooker is more popular than pool from a sponsors point of view (probably not in terms of the number of players) and yet they can only get enough tv time for short races.

Given that fact, I don't think pool has a chance of getting tv time if early matches in tournaments are long races.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
A race to five at 9-Ball can easily take 45 minutes to an hour. Let's say they play all nine games at an average of six minutes per game. That's 54 minutes without all the time lost between games. Thirty minutes is fast and usually indicates a runaway like 5-0 or 5-1. Or a Jayson Shaw vs. Rodney Morris match like we saw here earlier. :wink:

Winner breaks and winner racks and I suspect most matches would average out around the 40 minute mark. So yeah, maybe double the warm up for tennis. Big whoop.

One is a real sport with thousands of hours of tv coverage a year and millions of dollars in sponsorship, the other is a joke sport that barely outperforms foosball.

You sure you want to argue to keep things the way they are?

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
I'm not disagreeing with you in principal, I like winner breaks (not that I object to alternate either, both are good in their own way).

All I was trying to say is that snooker is more popular than pool from a sponsors point of view (probably not in terms of the number of players) and yet they can only get enough tv time for short races.

Given that fact, I don't think pool has a chance of getting tv time if early matches in tournaments are long races.

Did I miss something? Is pool getting zillions of hours of tv time NOW?

Seems to me like except for the Mosconi Cup and some coverage on ESPN Asia the television proposition has nowhere to go but UP.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I miss something? Is pool getting zillions of hours of tv time NOW?

Seems to me like except for the Mosconi Cup and some coverage on ESPN Asia the television proposition has nowhere to go but UP.

No, but increasing the length of time it takes for matches isn't going to change that.

The trend in most sports is shorter and sharper, pool going the other way will simply put it even further back (in terms of tv and sponsorship, I see how purists may like what you're saying but they aren't the target audience).

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Typical sarcastic comment from someone with nothing to say. Feast on a typo, if it makes you feel any better.:)

No sarcasm intended, but you go ahead be exactly what you're acting like
You know, the first time I heard someone mention the game Pyramid I had no idea what they were talking about,
I thought it must be a typo, I figured maybe Gabbling was a pool game.

GAMBLING, see, if I gambled I'd probably have known that. You seem a little paranoid and insecure.
No one's (or at least not me) is making fun of you. It's all good

Last edited:

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
This event gets on ESPN 3 in the USA, not covered on mainstream TV at all.

That should tell you something about where pool falls in the realm of things in the USA. It's a recreational pastime and a gambling endeavor here.

As I'm sitting here hoping for a massive USA comeback, I'm also sitting here thinking that next year they should invite an Asian team and have the event in the PI or China.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Winner breaks and winner racks and I suspect most matches would average out around the 40 minute mark. So yeah, maybe double the warm up for tennis. Big whoop.

One is a real sport with thousands of hours of tv coverage a year and millions of dollars in sponsorship, the other is a joke sport that barely outperforms foosball.

You sure you want to argue to keep things the way they are?

You lost me there. I was only commenting on the length of matches. Please argue with someone else. :thumbup:

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus Rodney almost sharked his own teammate on that last nine ball screaming shoot it here as he's down on the ball I mean we're getting smoked n the guy can't show some respect? Come on Rodney I know ur a hang loose type of guy but Bergman isn't n what happens if he misses that ball? Lol put the champagne on ice there's a day 4