CNC spindle

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You might try the Huanyang store on Amazon, that's where I got mine and I just looked and they appear to have the 220v kit in stock with the mount in case you need it.

Here's the listing

If you don't need the water pump and mount they have them separate here:
https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Fre...verter-HUANYANG/dp/B077KS9LRY?ref_=ast_sto_dp
https://www.amazon.com/Huanyang-Spi...-Engraving/dp/B077BTW4NQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Good luck

Also if you can swing it I'd go for the 4 bearing version, don't know for sure but it sure seems like it would last longer and for $25 seems like cheap insurance.
Great deal. Note the water pump is also 220V. I prefer the 110V so I can just hook it up anywhere.

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
Great deal. Note the water pump is also 220V. I prefer the 110V so I can just hook it up anywhere.
Good catch! Yes 110 on the pump would make more sense in the US.

Dave, you could drop them an email and see if they could supply with the 110v pump instead. They were very responsive when I reached out.
Or if you already have the mount I'd just get the separate spindle and VFD and pick up a cheap aquarium/pond pump, it doesn't take a big one to do the job.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
You might try the Huanyang store on Amazon, that's where I got mine and I just looked and they appear to have the 220v kit in stock with the mount in case you need it.

Here's the listing

If you don't need the water pump and mount they have them separate here:
https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Fre...verter-HUANYANG/dp/B077KS9LRY?ref_=ast_sto_dp
https://www.amazon.com/Huanyang-Spi...-Engraving/dp/B077BTW4NQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Good luck

Also if you can swing it I'd go for the 4 bearing version, don't know for sure but it sure seems like it would last longer and for $25 seems like cheap insurance.
The setup I was looking at was all those pieces plus a metric collet set, free shippping for $315 plus tax........ I can wait a few weeks to save $85...lol

kgoods

Gold Member
The setup I was looking at was all those pieces plus a metric collet set, free shippping for $315 plus tax........ I can wait a few weeks to save $85...lol
No doubt! I would too! ;) That's a great price!

I did notice they have gone up by about that much since I got my set in Aug last year. I paid about $350 total including a real nice 4 conductor shielded cable... that alone was about 60 but I'll never have to replace it.

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Huanyang HY01D511B 110V 1.5KW wired to a KL-800A 220V air cooled spindle. I bought this on Craigslist 2 years ago. Was told it worked fine was going to water cooled. It did not appear to have ever been wired. After reading this thread I did not think they were compatible. Wired up to 110V to see if it would go or blow. Ran for 45 minutes at varying speeds seemed to be fine. I do not know if a similar setup would help you guys needing to run on 110V or not. Dave if your cell # is still the one I have I can send you a vid of it running......Kyle

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I finally got tired of waiting for the kit to be relisted so I bought the spindle/VFD and the pump and mount, and collets as separate pieces. Turns ouyt it was the last spindle they had. Got the water cooled 2.2K with ER20 220volt. Man it's a heavy Beast. Haven't installed it yet as the mount is still taking the slowest boat ride from Mainland China. Still have to run the power to the machine also. When it's up and running I'll post a video. Kyle, How long ago did we talk? I did change numbers about 6 yrs ago, my number ends with 1166

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the # I have Dave. Been long enough I don’t remember what we talked about. I’m interested to see if someone can tell me how the setup I have is working. Planned on putting it on my taper machine.

kgoods

Gold Member
That is the # I have Dave. Been long enough I don’t remember what we talked about. I’m interested to see if someone can tell me how the setup I have is working. Planned on putting it on my taper machine.
Hi Kyle,
Not to butt in but... It should be fine. The 110v VFD's have a stepup to 220v internally. See this link https://buildyourcnc.com/FAQ/10082 with one caveat... it's not going to have the "same amount of torque and strength" like it says there. You can't get something for nothing, the input current is going to be less, therefore the output power has to be less. It's not a perpetual motion machine. ;)

And for more boring stuff to get an even better understanding there's this... Don't fall for these VFD Myths

You are still limited in current to the 110v supply but as long as you're not pushing it hard you most likely will not notice. Just keep your ears open and check the temperature of the motor every once in a while and as long as you can keep your hand on it for a few seconds it's cool enough. The reason it's working is because the parameters in the VFD have been set up correctly for that motor. Also, air cooled spindles are even more susceptible to overheating at low rpms. I wouldn't run it less than 10-12k.

Dave, sorry to hear you couldn't save any money but glad you've got it in the works. Be sure to double check the VFD's parameters, they *usually* come set correctly but always check. You can burn out a motor in seconds if set incorrectly. Let me know if you need help with that, I put together a spreadsheet with the correct settings for mine and yours would only need about 4 changes IIRC to account for the 220v motor and higher current.

Can't wait to hear you've got it all up and running!

Ken

Last edited:

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the reply Ken. The plan is to use on my taper lathe. Should not be running at low rpms. Sorry Dave did not mean hijack your thread...... Kyle

kgoods

Gold Member
Thank you for the reply Ken. The plan is to use on my taper lathe. Should not be running at low rpms. Sorry Dave did not mean hijack your thread...... Kyle
Glad to help when I can. :) It should serve you well for what you planning.

I don't think you hijacked the thread.... seems like it's all related to the same subject.

VFD's and spindles have become a lot more confusing since the ones from China flooded the market. The specs rarely match the devices and in some cases they just plain make stuff up! :) They can be cost effective for what we do but if I was going to do anything commercial I'd go with the more traditional offerings as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Take care,
Ken