Cognoscenti has raised rings...

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Cognoscenti cue. It has a very nice weight and feel. Plays great. But I noticed that you can feel the metal rings in it and that they are slightly raised. Is there anything that can be done about this? Or is it best to leave it alone?

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
it means the cue was made too fast with out giving proper time for all the adhesives and finishes to fully cure............

Kim

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
a friend of mine has a $2000 predator........ you can feel every ring and inlay in it..................

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Cognoscenti cue. It has a very nice weight and feel. Plays great. But I noticed that you can feel the metal rings in it and that they are slightly raised. Is there anything that can be done about this? Or is it best to leave it alone?
Depending on how much it's sticking out, it can still be wet sanded and re-polished.

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it means the cue was made too fast with out giving proper time for all the adhesives and finishes to fully cure............

Kim
That's what I've been reading. Crazy. It's not real bad though. You can just feel them a little bit.

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on how much it's sticking out, it can still be wet sanded and re-polished.
Yep. That's what proficient billiards told me. Said it's very common and is called ring pop. Happens all the time with metal rings and can be fixed with a refinish.

Actually I am aware of metal rings having a tendency to do this. That's why I try to stay away from them. But I just had to have this Cognoscenti. It's gorgeous. And it feels and plays amazing.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
ok.............. metal rings do not pop.................... the finish, sealer, adhesive, etc........... continue to cure and shrink............... if you can feel the rings.............. you built the cue too fast and didn't wait for everything to cure properly

Kim

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. I get what you're saying. I read that as well about how that happens when they didn't give the finish enough time to dry or cure. Another possibility though is that the rings may not have been sanded or turned down to be exactly even with the wood and were still slightly raised before applying a finish. This can be a very hard thing to accomplish because the rings are metal and are much harder than wood. They may feel as if they are smooth but if they are even just the slightest bit higher than the wood that will just become more pronounced the more coats that you put over it just like when you're painting a wall and there's a minor imperfection or you didn't scrape all the paint off evenly on the wall. That will show up when you go to paint it later. Another thing to consider is that metal and wood expand and contract differently. Wood may shrink slightly where as metal does not. Anyhow, these are just my thoughts, and why I try to stay away from metal rings or inlays in a cue whenever possible.

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Metal expands and contracts differently than wood or plastic does so you can't get away from this issue.
Yep. That's what I thought. I was told to get it refinished and then to keep it in as stable environment as possible.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Metal expands and contracts differently than wood or plastic does so you can't get away from this issue.
everyone has been repeating this old theory........... different coefficients of thermal expansion.............. well then answer me this riddle............ after the metal rings pop.... why does a refinish fix it???? if you build it right....... you will never feel the rings.................... you can't feel mine because I take time for all components to fully cure

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Joe Gold's metal rings are bordered with phenolic. Phenolic bands do not shrink or expand .

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what you guys are saying is this is all about a bad finish job and not about metal rings or anything else like that?