Common glue to install a tip?

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
What brand of glue can i use to install a kamui clear?

Krazy glue? Stuff i could buy at home depot or alike..

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Glue

What brand of glue can i use to install a kamui clear?

Krazy glue? Stuff i could buy at home depot or alike..

Loctite 401 its about 22 bucks a bottle .
I use Loctite ultra control gel super glue with good luck on the clears .
I have had issues with the old style Kamui tips falling off and now I wick them with a thin CA and use the ultra gel control super glue .

this is what Kamui says
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TKkgHfL4s

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Loctite gel on my tips.
Haven't had any problems on any regular tips.

Had one tip come flying off during a break shot on a Kamui clear.
Went on their website and saw that they specifically say to not to use the gel when
installing the clear tips, so I cut some small grooves in it and reglued it.
Been perfect since then.

Just last week installed a G2 hard on one of my main playing cues, using the gel.
Been playing every day since and no problems.

I break with my play cues, so the play-cue-tips have to be on there pretty good.
Loctite Gel has been perfect.

Last edited:

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I LOVE this glue: Tiger Glue. I have NEVER had a tip pop off after using this. I apply a dot of the glue on the ferrule, put the tip on and swipe it around in the circle to distribute the glue, then center the tip and apply pressure with a finger for about a minute. Then put light pressure on the tip ( I stand the shaft upside down) for 2 hours. (probably longer than I need to) Then I shape the tip and go play. This is my method. I wish I had a nice lathe to use, but I just have a drill-lathe that I put together. Otherwise I'd use one of those nice tip centering presses.

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
And Loclite glue is available at regular hardware store like home depot and alike?

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
loctite.jpg

Loctite Professional. Never had a tip come off (including Kamui clear). Available almost anywhere....but try to buy it somewhere that does higher volume so that the glue is 'fresher'. If it has been sitting on the shelf too long from low volume, it may not be as strong as it should be...

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gorilla Super Glue works really well too. Not too liquid and not too much of a gel. It has the perfect liquid consistency.

Attachments

• 26033-01.jpg
    26033-01.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 691

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Super Glue (cyanoacrylate adhesive) can be found anywhere. Wally World, food stores, hardware stores, etc. Your best choice are the gels. They don't drip off.
When you apply the glue be sure to wipe off the excess as soon as possible. It'll make life much easier.
Activator sprays speed the bonding process, although I personally found them unnecessary. :smile:

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
But why use Super Glue AND loclite?

I just found out the Krazy Glue is in fact Cyanoacrylate adhesive. Could I simply use that? Or I also need some other stuff like loclite?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
But why use Super Glue AND loclite?

I just found out the Krazy Glue is in fact Cyanoacrylate adhesive. Could I simply use that? Or I also need some other stuff like loclite?

Yes, but the gel is a bit better at filling the gap without dripping down your ferrule or fingers.

Whatever you do, make sure the super glue is fresh. It quickly loses its adhesion properties when sitting around too long, even on the store shelves.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Yes, but the gel is a bit better at filling the gap without dripping down your ferrule or fingers.

Whatever you do, make sure the super glue is fresh. It quickly loses its adhesion properties when sitting around too long, even on the store shelves.

To keep it fresh, store it in your refrigerator. :)

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
Cyanoacrylate adhesives cure through reaction with moisture held on the surface to be bonded.

It other words, they need moisture to cure. If you want to make a tip bond faster, breathe on the tip to ferrule bond.

To extend the adhesive shelf life,store in a cool dry place...like a refrigerator. But use at room temperature.