Compare and Contrast?: John Schmidt and Shane Van Boening

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
Compare and Contrast: John Schmidt and Shane Van Boening

Both recent US Open Champions. Both great, young American Pool players and all-around nice guys. Both have the potential to bring the game of pool to new heights, if they play their cards (or their pool) right. How are they different? How are they the same?

Playing style

Confidence with their Game

Attitude towards the Game

Attitude on Winning/Losing

Gambling, etc.

Any thoughts?

To get the ball rolling: it's striking to me how SVB went to the WPC after he won the US Open while JS did not. Did SVB have the backers that JS needed and/or wanted? If so, how come? What made the difference? From Jay's valuable accounts, SVB took on all comers playing in the Philippines. Does he have more moolah to gamble with? A strong backer? Sponsorship? A tougher constitution? More confidence in his game?

And lastly, who is the better, over-all, player? Let the games begin!
 
Last edited:
Shane's the better short rack rotation player. Give him a little time to catch up in one-pocket and 14.1. Then we can all just say, Shane's better.
 
No disrespect to john he is a great player and a great guy but shane has a better attitude about the game. John lets everyone know that he doesn't play everyday and is constantly complaining about how bad the money is. That being said I think John is the better player "IF" he had more of a committment. But, he's his own man and the pay does suck and golf is fun too. Over the long hall I think shane will do more winning. If the money gets good enough John will be close to the top. Again, John is cool I am NOT knocking John in the least his misgivings about the game are understandable.

I hope the money gets better.:confused:
 
mnorwood said:
No disrespect to john he is a great player and a great guy but shane has a better attitude about the game. John lets everyone know that he doesn't play everyday and is constantly complaining about how bad the money is. That being said I think John is the better player "IF" he had more of a committment. But, he's his own man and the pay does suck and golf is fun too. Over the long hall I think shane will do more winning. If the money gets good enough John will be close to the top. Again, John is cool I am NOT knocking John in the least his misgivings about the game are understandable.

I hope the money gets better.:confused:

Ding ding ding.

Eric.
 
Dunno who has better backing but john's attitude seems pretty good. He was pretty gracious about the straight pool challenge against danny. He states his reasons for not travelling across the ocean... and it boils down to "it's too much to risk on a small reward". I think he's got a good point. It's one thing to bet 10k against one other guy and maybe walk away 10k down or up... it's another to invest 2-3k and have to beat 10 worldbeaters in somewhat short races. You beat 3 of them and walk away maybe even, wtfbbqlol.

Hard to compare their games, I've never seen john do 10 ball or shane do straight pool. I'd enjoy seeing either, which is why I voted js to play shane again.
 
This should be the next Action Challenge.............THE KING OF A.Z. BILLIARDS.It would be alot closer match than what people would think.;)
 
This thread will be very cool IMO. I see it as 2 very gifted players growing in the sport in opposite directions. Shane obviously concentrated on the rotation games, while John OBVIOUSLY played a bunch of 14.1. Both being great at what they do, but I'd like to see Shane learn more about 14.1 and 1pocket to round out so to speak. I'm sure it would take him about 4 tries to run 100 :D Then I'd like to see an all around with him and Danny H.

This interest me because my background started in 9ball, then to 14.1, then to 1P now. I liked my progression because I learned not to fear shot making first, then ball running patterns, then obscure multiball moving, and banking. I'm very happy in retrospect, but during the process I had GIANT ups n downs.

Gerry
 
jimmy-leggs said:
This should be the next Action Challenge.............THE KING OF A.Z. BILLIARDS.It would be alot closer match than what people would think.;)

with the recent results in the dcc09, i thought to revisit this topic. it really seems SVB and JS are this generation's ES and JA. Question is, who's who?

personally, i feel svb is the ja to js' es. although i have no basis for saying that. hey! how about a doubles match!!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top