Congrats Pat Fleming and Accu-Stats!!

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So do you guys see the US Open dying here? I know Barry caught a lot of crap but it also can't be easy to make money off these events. Does anyone see someone else picking it up?

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
So do you guys see the US Open dying here? I know Barry caught a lot of crap but it also can't be easy to make money off these events. Does anyone see someone else picking it up?

I dont. Barry does something completely absurd every year and someone thinks the US Open is gonna die and yet it is back the following year with Barry doing something completely absurd again... it's an endless cycle.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont. Barry does something completely absurd every year and someone thinks the US Open is gonna die and yet it is back the following year with Barry doing something completely absurd again... it's an endless cycle.

But if he is actually done with it who is going to be willing to pick it up?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But if he is actually done with it who is going to be willing to pick it up?

I think someone would, first that comes to mind is Mark - CSI. He knows how to put on great events and of assume he must make some sort of money at it. Biggest hurdle IMO is coming to some sort of terms with Barry and I'm sure that is no small task. Maybe Mark and Pat could team up on it, I'm think they would put on a GREAT event!

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think someone would, first that comes to mind is Mark - CSI. He knows how to put on great events and of assume he must make some sort of money at it. Biggest hurdle IMO is coming to some sort of terms with Barry and I'm sure that is no small task. Maybe Mark and Pat could team up on it, I'm think they would put on a GREAT event!

As long as he does not change it to bar tables...

IMO, what's happened here is that Barry has picked Pat to manage the event, for him. He may or may not choose to do so. But the event would still belong to Barry.

The only way a new and separate entity gets involved is if Barry decides to sell the US open 9 ball name. Knowing Barry, he thinks the name is worth much more than it is. If he is reasonable, someone will buy it. But at this point, I don't think it's for sale. I think Barry is just retiring from "running" it.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I have seen, Barry Behrman is not going to GIVE the US OPEN rights away. Note he states it will stay at Q Masters so he will sell with conditions or license the name. This means that Behrman will still be tethered to the event which is akin to having a turd in the punch bowl. You gotta be nuts to invest money in anything that involves this slime.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I have seen, Barry Behrman is not going to GIVE the US OPEN rights away. Note he states it will stay at Q Masters so he will sell with conditions or license the name. This means that Behrman will still be tethered to the event which is akin to having a turd in the punch bowl. You gotta be nuts to invest money in anything that involves this slime.

You could license it fairly easily ( contract wise not necc $$$ wise ) to where Barry has absolutely 0% involvement in anything other than picking up and cashing his licensing check.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Pat Fleming and Accu Stats buying the US Open might make the most sense. If anythng, Accu Stats might have the most to gain(or lose, if the event stopped), by buying i.e. streaming sales, and DVD sales.

While I'm not privy to any details, it sounds like this transition was hammered out long before this years US Open. IF I had to guess, i would think there is some kind of equitable buyout, to be paid over the course of years.

Either way, I feel Pat Fleming is a great guy and astute, reputable businessman. I wish him the very best of luck, keeping the event going.

Eric

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could license it fairly easily ( contract wise not necc $$$ wise ) to where Barry has absolutely 0% involvement in anything other than picking up and cashing his licensing check.

With normal owners yes. However, do you think anything with BB would be easy, equitable or fair?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Pat is close to 70 himself. I know the U.S. Open is a huge part of his DVD sales, but I don't think he would want the headache of running the Open, even if BB had nothing to do with it. U.S. Tournament pool needs some younger promoters trying new ideas. IMO the large 5 to 7 day tournaments are dead in the U.S. If I had anything to say about it, of the promoters we have now, Mike Zuglan could run it from the Turning Stone. Johnnyt