Congrats Shane US Open Champion 2014

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cost of living is much higher than you think it is in Taiwan. Losing 21-17 isn't getting torched.

Both KO brothers can get played for 10k and much more.

No need to worry about beating a field of world beaters. Just beat one in a single race to 100.

Shane had the lead and Ko blew right by him ,, let me know when Shane's going over there to play any top Asian and you got action

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Shane had the lead and Ko blew right by him ,, let me know when Shane's going over there to play any top Asian and you got action

Bottom line is that the majority of the worlds best players were here, and Shane won.

When the Ko's start playing in these events with the rest of the world, we can talk about them then....

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've followed the Ko brothers closely, and here's the difference:

Shane dials it in and gets more and more in stroke as the match goes on, regardless of score. The last few games he looked like he was practicing in his basement, just free stroking everything in and getting perfect position. He also comes with the BIG shots when he's down and under pressure.

I think any of the top Taiwanese players can beat Shane on any given day, but they don't have the same heart. And I am someone who lived in Taiwan for 12 years (during the heyday of pool over there) and follows the Taiwanese pro tour closely.

First off congrats to Shane !!!
Fantastic Shooting !!!

Now about the silly statement that they don't have the same heart.
Ko came back from 14-4 down in a race to 15 against Dennis Orcollo,
by running 11 racks maybe it's just me but that's a lot of heart, I would say. LOL

Last edited:

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to SVB, well deserved!!!
Tough to beat a pool genius combining the features of Ralf Souquet and Earl Strickland.....
Petros

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
by running 11 racks maybe it's just me but that's a lot of heart, I would say. LOL

You could look at the score and say that, sure. But you tell me when either of the Ko's came with the big shots Shane did to win his 3peat US Open. The current crop of Taiwanese pros all play at the top level, but they play the percentages.

The only Taiwanese player that ever showed that kind of heart was Yang. Too bad he doesn't really play anymore. I would love to see that kid come back and play.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off congrats to Shane !!!
Fantastic Shooting !!!

Also Chang Jung Lin put on a 6pack being down 20-15 to Dennis to win in the CSI Challenge 9b match.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could look at the score and say that, sure. But you tell me when either of the Ko's came with the big shots Shane did to win his 3peat US Open. The current crop of Taiwanese pros all play at the top level, but they play the percentages.

The only Taiwanese player that ever showed that kind of heart was Yang. Too bad he doesn't really play anymore. I would love to see that kid come back and play.

Forget beating Shane a race to 100 in 10 Ball, it's just not going to happen. He breaks too good and plays pretty good behind that break as well.

I'm pretty sure KO can come over and bet what he wants in that game...

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I've followed the Ko brothers closely, and here's the difference:

Shane dials it in and gets more and more in stroke as the match goes on, regardless of score. The last few games he looked like he was practicing in his basement, just free stroking everything in and getting perfect position. He also comes with the BIG shots when he's down and under pressure.

I think any of the top Taiwanese players can beat Shane on any given day, but they don't have the same heart. And I am someone who lived in Taiwan for 12 years (during the heyday of pool over there) and follows the Taiwanese pro tour closely.

I would agree, Shane's heart is tremendous. Dennis was putting some serious heat on Shane early in the finals, and I think was still ahead 6-3 after 9 games. But Shane seems to summon some kind of superhuman reserve at times and just wills himself to victory.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget beating Shane a race to 100 in 10 Ball, it's just not going to happen. He breaks too good and plays pretty good behind that break as well.

Older Ko's 10-ball break is no joke either, but I agree: race to 100 I'd bet Shane everyday.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Congrats to SVB, well deserved!!!
Tough to beat a pool genius combining the features of Ralf Souquet and Earl Strickland.....
Petros

for me, it's like the consistency of Mika (when he was young) and the genius of Earl.

CONGRATULATIONS SHANE VAN BOENING!!!:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for me, it's like the consistency of Mika (when he was young) and the genius of Earl.

CONGRATULATIONS SHANE VAN BOENING!!!:happydance::happydance::happydance:

You may put it this way too.
Anyway, he's one living proof that Pool has advanced, and there's more to come....
Petros

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats to SVB! One shot does not make a match, but just for fun, I'll add this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejw2PGx_HvA

So many threads about the Open I'm not sure if it's been posted or not...enjoy if you haven't seen.

Be sure to support Pat and company when the full match becomes available at www.accu-stats.com .

~Razor

Awesome video, awesome angle to witness one of the greatest shots in pool history. The use of two bridges shows this guy is on another level than anyone else. An amazing talent.

And for sure, I'll be buying that dvd from pat as soon as it's released.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Older Ko's 10-ball break is no joke either, but I agree: race to 100 I'd bet Shane everyday.

It was stated by JB that Ko had his backers and were willing to bet large cash ,, I guess Shane wasn't looking for more after he got snapped off and realized Ko's speed and big break to go with it ,, funny thing about pool players they don't like even matches or ones they could lose ,, that's why we don't see more top players playing each other

michaelm

Registered
Interesting to see how others performed in the brackets. Archer 33rd, Rodney Morris 33rd, Jayson Shaw the winner of Turning Stone 33rd, Pagulayan 33rd, Mika 33rd, Albin Ouschan World Championship runner-up 33rd place, Feijen Winner of the World Championship coming in 17th.

Shane coming in 9th place at Turning Stone but the winner of Turning Stone coming in 33rd place at the US Open. Some players just switch gears I guess. And when Shane is in gear he is better than anyone.

DJordan816

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member