Cool video: 1995 World 8-ball: Reyes vs Jarvis

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
I ran across this video on YouTube this morning. This is a semifinal match between Efren Reyes and Mark Jarvis, with Jimmy Mataya and Jim Rempe commentating.

Pretty Boy Floyd lays down some classic one liners, Rempe nails the strategy, and the match itself provides plenty of drama.

Enjoy! :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XW7E90taZH8

-Blake

snuuker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of drama for sure. Jarvis old school with that short bridge.

Thanks for the link Slo.

:thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is the match I'm thinking of, Mark played some super shots and really should have gotten better results from his efforts. Good match to see.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A match that I enjoyed alot was Keith McCready vs Strickland (1988)

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHQw9T5uvyk

I never heard of Keith and saw his weird style of play. Looked him up and his wikipedia was a very entertaining read.

Keith has posted here a few times and his lady, JAM, has posted a "few" times as well hehe.

Do a search for his name on the forums you'll find some stories that are probably not found anywhere else.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I ran across this video on YouTube this morning. This is a semifinal match between Efren Reyes and Mark Jarvis, with Jimmy Mataya and Jim Rempe commentating.

Pretty Boy Floyd lays down some classic one liners, Rempe nails the strategy, and the match itself provides plenty of drama.

Enjoy! :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XW7E90taZH8

-Blake

Great match but horrible camera work. Every time there was a key shoot the camera man was focused on something else or the switched views as the shot was happening and you miss the action. This video will make you appreciate someone who knows how to film pool matches.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match but horrible camera work. Every time there was a key shoot the camera man was focused on something else or the switched views as the shot was happening and you miss the action. This video will make you appreciate someone who knows how to film pool matches.

I have a video of an women's international match I need to get some clips out of and post, never seen a pool match done worse. They switch between tables, focus on the player's faces instead of the table, most of the shots were from a hand-held camera that zoomed out to catch shots and missed getting many of them. They seemed to think the main part of the game was watching the player hold the cue, not what happens on the table.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I have a video of an women's international match I need to get some clips out of and post, never seen a pool match done worse. They switch between tables, focus on the player's faces instead of the table, most of the shots were from a hand-held camera that zoomed out to catch shots and missed getting many of them. They seemed to think the main part of the game was watching the player hold the cue, not what happens on the table.

Yeah it makes me wonder if they look for a camera man with pool knowledge or experience, or do they just hire a camera man. I'm not saying you have to play pool to be good at filming it but I think it sure helps a lot. People with game experience understand where to be and what to look at. The only person there with seemingly less pool know how than the camera man was Tom the announcer!

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
There are a handful of Accu-Stats matches where Rempe does the commentary and he always does a stellar job IMO. I believe he did the commentary on the Efren Earl Z Shot match at the Sands. Rempe is one of my favorite players of all time. It's too bad King James isn't still involved with pool in some way shape or form.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
There are a handful of Accu-Stats matches where Rempe does the commentary and he always does a stellar job IMO. I believe he did the commentary on the Efren Earl Z Shot match at the Sands. Rempe is one of my favorite players of all time. It's too bad King James isn't still involved with pool in some way shape or form.

I agree, Rempe is a great player and commentator. He is another player on a short list of players I wish I had the privilege to see in their prime.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Great link post!
I've never seen a 9' Brunswick Orleans, only 8'. I will have to say that table is beautiful' solid mahogany design- I never thought to think the 9' table would have a extra set of legs.
Thanks again, I treasured seeing that table.
The Orleans table has a special meaning to me, i used to have one...well almost, just rails and parts' I used the rails to make a set of rail liners for my coin op table along with the superspeed cushions :) the rest of the mahogany went to a cue maker ;)

Rob.M

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
This is ALSO what wrong with pool

why do people think it is ok to upload copyrighted material (accu-stats) on youtube. go to accu-stats.com and buy them. Buy the feeds too. But all a library on the web does it makes it tougher for people like Pat to stay in business. We should be supporting those that are important long term members of the pool community.