Corey Deuel signed up for Q School (snooker)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He got to the last 16 of the first event, which meant he was two wins away from qualifying from the tour. Second event he played a match for a spot. Not a long way off at all. This isn't to say that he could compete on the tour, but he came pretty close to qualifying for it and this isn't really up for debate.

So I guess you think Indy was close to getting to the superbowl

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey should try English 8 ball instead.
peanuts money but he should get into later stages .
:D

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no, look it up
he was not close

You do realise we were talking about Alex Pagulayan, right?

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?event=330

He was two frames away from qualifying, losing the final match 4-2. The only way he could possibly have been closer is if he lost in the deciding frame of the final match, 4-3 rather than 4-2:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...165~3847707,00.html+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

The article also mentions how Pagulayan was able to enter pro events as a 'top-up' amateur - a privilege granted only to those with the best finishes in Q School who failed to qualify. That is, those who came close. I realise that admitting you're wrong on the internet would be devastating, but it's probably more important to give Pagulayan the credit he deserves for surprising a lot of people and almost qualifying for the pro tour.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to insights:

Finnish Snooker pro Robin Hull who made hundreds of times 147 breaks practice games/smaller tournaments still have trouble a lot to stay ranking 64.
Just to clarify how good are even 'lower end' pros at snooker.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

The discussion was about the Q school and Alex did well in the Q school.

You coming on here and talking about his efforts on the actual tour in the events he got special invites to is completely different and obviously what you remembered. You were not keeping track of what people on the thread were actually talking about.

Stop trying to twist it now. You screwed up and mistook the Q school for the tour, period.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The discussion was about the Q school and Alex did well in the Q school.

You coming on here and talking about his efforts on the actual tour in the events he got special invites to is completely different and obviously what you remembered. You were not keeping track of what people on the thread were actually talking about.

Stop trying to twist it now. You screwed up and mistook the Q school for the tour, period.

Actualy I won money on him not making it and I never sweated a drop if I remember correctly he was a 8-1 underdog in the match that he lost 4-2 ,, had he won one more match to get to the same position he likely would have been that or better
I think he can eventually do it just thought he had liitle chance the first time
Just like he has little chance of keeping his card if he gets it ,,

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Just to insights:

Finnish Snooker pro Robin Hull who made hundreds of times 147 breaks practice games/smaller tournaments still have trouble a lot to stay ranking 64.
Just to clarify how good are even 'lower end' pros at snooker.

Yes, professional snooker is a whole other level from the top amateurs. You could be forgiven for watching a top amateur play and think they are good enough to make it on the tour, but the fact is many of these guys drop off after their allotted 2 seasons.

I think Alex's best bet to make it in snooker is to compete in the major amateur events, and play the PTC events as well. That would give him the seasoning to take with him to Q School.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Hearn on the BBC within the last hour or so talking about his upcoming press conference said there will be QSchool on every continent. Not sure what "every" means but my guess is it would include a place or two in the Americas. So a place for Alex sometime in the next few years and, more importantly, a reason for young North American cueists to embrace snooker.

Regardless of how Corey does in QSchool, the man is a class act.

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of how Corey does in QSchool, the man is a class act.

No doubt! His attitude to learning new things is very cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVI2oaNq6E8
https://www.facebook.com/universalpooleague/posts/10205639046357595

Looking at this video, compared to the one linked in the first post of this thread, it seems like he's a lot more comfortable with snooker technique now. Everyone knows he's really up against it in taking on even good amateur snooker players, and it may be the case that it's more for fun than anything serious, but his attitude to the whole thing is admirable regardless. Hopefully he can show a bit of form in Q School!

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.prosnookerblog.com/2015/04/29/barry-hearn-announces-home-series-calendar-changes/

Prize money going up

But

“This sport is about ability. I don’t want any barriers, artificial barriers to be up to defeat the object of giving that kid the benefit of his ‘Willy Wonka” golden ticket. That tour card is so hard to earn. Record numbers are going in Q School this year, nearly 180 players going for eight spots. It’s brutal. But today’s world of commercial exploitation means that if sport is not brutal, it’s not taken seriously. We are now being taken seriously by sponsors and broadcasters across the world.

http://www.prosnookerblog.com/2015/04/23/mount-reflects-on-snooker-journey/
How rough is it financially?

The increasing number of mid to lower ranked players are struggling to make any sort of living, for several reasons.

Firstly their expenses have gone up dramatically. Secondly in the higher earning tournaments they are either severely disadvantaged by the seedings (UK championship especially), or need to spend a large part of their first round winnings on entry fees, travelling and local taxes in China and other foreign countries where about 20% is taken at source with no allowance for expenses.

Thirdly, the time it takes for prize monies to be paid is scandalous. All of the players who are out of the World Championship will not have a pay day until August, apart from a couple of European Tour events in July and August, and history tells us they don’t make much in them.

Fourthly, they are being asked to enter and pay entry fees and expenses way before the tournaments. With events in China for instance, the gap between paying entries and receiving prize money is over five months.

In short, without any financial support or sponsorship, which has become far more difficult to acquire, it’s difficult financially for these guys to stay on tour.

On the subject of sponsorship there are several big issues. Most companies will not get involved because of the emphasis on betting companies. It just doesn’t do their company profile any favours.

Last edited:

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
best of luck to corey.
is he way behind alex? yes. but then again he hasn't played snooker nearly as long. alex is a canadian champ if i do recall. best of luck to both if they give it a shot.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many have asked why Corey didn't sign up for the BIG MONEY One pocket in New Orleans later this month, May 21-24. This is the reason.

Best of luck to Corey for always working on expanding his talent.

Ray

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
best of luck to corey.
is he way behind alex? yes. but then again he hasn't played snooker nearly as long. alex is a canadian champ if i do recall. best of luck to both if they give it a shot.

If you are going to mention that Alex was a Canadian champ, why not mention Corey's 2013 American Championship?

http://www.snookerusa.com/news/201305272118-corey-deuel-captures-national-snooker-championship-title

The fact that Corey and Alex succeed in North America at snooker, but get their butts kicked by non-champs over there says something.